Tensioner-less setup on a hex

Mikee

I have a hex frame lying around doing nothing as I got bored of breaking mech hangers. I keep seeing a load of hexs with a tensioner-less setup and I want this so that I can ride my hex without the stress of breaking a hanger mid ride. I have tried lots of different ratios with sprockets I have spare but have had no luck.

Apparently 18:15 with a half link works (but I want to avoid half links) and also that 17:14 works with a bit of filing. But it would be nice to hear from someone who has done it before a shell out money on bits.

Has anyone on here done it with a trialsy gear ratio. I don't mind a bit of filing if necessary.

Or just get something that doesn't use the mech hanger and pushes up?

I have tried similar with a 74kingz tensioner pushing down, but everything I have tried so far with the sprockets I have seem to be either about a half link short or way too long.

Plus I love the clean look of no chain tensioners. I hope one day that inspired bring in a horizontal drop out option.

Edited by Mikee

My hex is 22-18 with a kingz in up mode.

I realised that I could try this myself and it was way off. A link less and the chain is too short, put the link back in and it is way too slack for a kingz tensioner. Did they change the chainstay lengths on the hex? Mine seems to be 385mm if they did.

Also came across this. http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

Edited by Mikee

• 2 weeks later...