Goin Back To Maguras :s

streetjibs

well iv always been under the impression vees arelighter (without adaptor and booster stil are lighter) than hs33s but given that i needed heatsink adaptors and a booster given how far the vees sit out from the frame it increased the flex over maguras... so i added a salsa booster (only 1 that wud fit) and today did the math and found out im wayy offf!!

Leavin out cables etc it breaks down like this..

adaptor 86gms

ultimate caliper 182gms

xtr lever 166gms

salsa boosta 117gms

total - 551gms!!

one hs33 magura - 315gms (yes its without booster - but my frame doesnt need one, even with 1 wud b lighter!!)

so just a thing to keep in mind for all tha weight weenies out there like myself... given how many frames have 4bolt mounts... maggies are more often than not could be lighter.

Thanks to stans ozonys for gettin me thinkin on that subject - damm thats one light bike!! my karbon is goin on a diet now!!

hmmm im guessing you have taken into account four bolt clamps ect. im not sure over a few grames you should change your brake at the end of the day your rear brake is kind of your life line and what you relie on most so id personaly get what ever you feel grip's better and works better for you and stick with that what ever the weight. Its good you look into it so much but stick with what you like other bits i understand but rear brake is kind of importaint unless you like them just the same if thats the case go for what's the lighter set up haha.

Cheers Jack (Y)

thx for pointing out some good points jack...

after 11 years of trials i do prefer vees... but have ridden both and can do either ok

will put maggie on for a month or so see how it goes. if its crap il go all hermancestyle with the adaptors and booster to save 2grams lol

cheers

danny

Weight of cables, hoses and pads adds another 100g or more but you took the weight of xtr levers' pair. My full rear vee setup is over 550g and in few days I'm switching to dengura (300g plus 2bolt carbon booster should weigh about 350-370g).

depends what you bleed the magura with too, some liquids are heavier than others...

for the magura have you included heatsink CNC brakepads into it? seeing as alot of riders use them.

deng lever...

metal tpa...

etc, there are many variables to consider

If your on about saving weight for a competition bike then yeah I can understand the logic. If its a normal bike you ride (your everday trials bike) then why bother, ride with what feels nice.

My bike is quite a tank but it stands up to everything I throw at it.

I recently put a magura on the rear of my bike after runninga vee since christmass, and i have to say the only thing i prefered over the vee was the bite of the magura, it had NO hold compared to the vee and the feeling was not as nice, if i were you don't be so much of a weight weenie, i mean your bike is super light any hoo and stick with the vee, it will own a magura for hold etc any day!

I have put my vee back on the rear now, soooooo much better!

Adam

THANKS ADAM (bigman)

I needed a good bitch slappin for being such a gram granny!

yeah it is pretty light... just got me thinkin wen i see people like stan runnin magura rear hope disc front and stil lighter bike then mine :S considering my frame is very similar weight.

anyways i just been out playin round with all my spare maggie parts lookin for the best one... they all felt like shit!! lol so iv put a new cable in cleaned everything and did 10pushups so its all sorted now! lol

thx to ash as well... good point!

WELL VEES it is... and they feel mint2! (scampers off to see where else i can save weight from...)

danny

talking about weights of brakes is slightyly homo

(Y)

you could always run laceless shoes or ride with short sleeved tops instead of long

Or take a big shit before you go out?

Speaking of weights, how heavy are BB7s? including cables, mounts and levers?

EDIT: Why do weights matter? Surely its down to technique. Obviously the bike has to be quite light, ~11lb or whatever it is, but come on, 200g isnt going to matter.

Edited by sheehan

Back in the day, I compared my rear magura setup to my XT vee setup. The magura inc hose, fluid, pads, evo adapters, booster came out at 440g, and the v-brake 365g. So a pretty big difference really.

A lot of your weight comes from the v-adapters, too, so bear that in mind.

I don't get this hold issue with maguras. My brake never slips unless i couldn't be arsed to clean the rim of dust. Surely the lack of hold is due to you not being able to set it up properly or using a bad pad/rim grind combination?

When you are around 120kg (me) hold becomes a very large issue!!

Adam

I don't get this hold issue with maguras. My brake never slips unless i couldn't be arsed to clean the rim of dust. Surely the lack of hold is due to you not being able to set it up properly or using a bad pad/rim grind combination?

its just the design of the brake. When the wheel is being pushed backwards through a maggie, the pads get pushed off the rim, with a vee, the pads get pushed onto the rim which increases hold.

You may think its all just pants and we dont need the hold, but once I tried a vee, theres no going back!

its just the design of the brake. When the wheel is being pushed backwards through a maggie, the pads get pushed off the rim, with a vee, the pads get pushed onto the rim which increases hold.

You may think its all just pants and we dont need the hold, but once I tried a vee, theres no going back!

He speaks the truth, i have gone to vee and you do notice that your brake hardly ever slips when your on the edge of something. Where as with a maggie it would do.