Ebay Fun And Games **reply From Seller Added**

Elliot

Hey all,

so I bought this on ebay it arrived today, I opened it and the hub fell apart. What I got is this:

gallery_10250_1685_27064.jpg

gallery_10250_1685_31215.jpg

gallery_10250_1685_56467.jpg

This was sold as having new internals and clearly they are raped, and this wheel has had more than 1 grind. I think they tried to change the internals, f**ked it up and sold it. The hub did not even have the outer washer that holds on the freehub.

So is the hub salvageable? I'm gonna need new springs and pawls, and I think I'm gonna need a new freehub body because it looks like the teeth of the rachet in the hub have raped it. But what about the hub shell and its internals? Do the markings on the freehub indicate that the teeth of the rachet are going to be f**ked? and the axle is bent, only by a mm or so, does it need a new axle?

thanks for your help guys, if you have had experience taking apart hope hubs please say so and give me your thoughts.

ta,

e.

ps, not gonna be checking this til monday/tuesday cos I'm at Poole for some cliff climbing

Edited by Elliot

'Black 26 inch Planet X BMF rim laced to a blue Hope Mono Hub, complete with Quick Release spike. Wheel is straight ( no buckles) and all the spokes are good. It has had a rim grind as it was used for trials.'

where does it say anywhere in there that it has new internals? not trying to justify the guy, have i missed something?

anyway, thats a shitter, threaten negative feedback if he doesn't refund, dont even attempt to bother repairing it, cost too much for what its worth seeing as decent xcs on non gayed rims are about 50quid :)

'Black 26 inch Planet X BMF rim laced to a blue Hope Mono Hub, complete with Quick Release spike. Wheel is straight ( no buckles) and all the spokes are good. It has had a rim grind as it was used for trials.'

where does it say anywhere in there that it has new internals? not trying to justify the guy, have i missed something?

anyway, thats a shitter, threaten negative feedback if he doesn't refund, dont even attempt to bother repairing it, cost too much for what its worth seeing as decent xcs on non gayed rims are about 50quid :)

Been looking at a shit load of wheels, must have read that somewhere else.

still you recon its not worth repairing? Post office is so gay at the moment, took 2 weeks to get here, makes me inclined to repair rather than send back and wait for a refund, so sure its not worth repairing?

Get some sandpaper on the freehub body to smoothen off those notches (which happen through trials use on an Xc hub), get some biro's and take the springs out of them and put them in the hub and you'll be well away. Those pawls look fine.

there was only 1 full spring in there, the remains of one (as in pic) and the third is no where to be seen.

so we recon ask seller for £20 back, buy spings and the spacer that holds the freehub together, and good to go?

edit - and the pawls are fine? never having taken a hub apart I was expecting them to be a bit less rounded?

It looks abit tired but all looks fine really unless the rachet is dead. Looks like the rim has been dented and then they have been bent back if so check for cracks on the sidewall where it has been bent back.

how do I tell if the rachet is dead?

Edited by Elliot

there was only 1 full spring in there, the remains of one (as in pic) and the third is no where to be seen.

so we recon ask seller for £20 back, buy spings and the spacer that holds the freehub together, and good to go?

No i said get some biro's and take the springs out of the biros and put the springs that were previously inside the biros into the hub in place of the ones that should have already been in there.

:rolleyes:

It's obviously a bit f**ked and the guy has ripped you off. But like Krisboats said, it's probably salvageable assuming the ratchet is still OK. Those marks on the freehub happen when the axle bends slightly on drops etc and the ratchet digs into the freehub as the whole thing flexes. It's a sign of (ab)use but there's nothing wrong with it as such, the damage is only cosmetic (and you don't see it anyway).

With the springs - I just got some from my LBS for free. I'm not convinced about using Biro springs. I remember a few people who used other springs like a biro, or stretched the springs for a louder hub, ran into problems. At the very least a new pawls + springs set is £12 I think so that should sort you out.

I'm not sure what the washer is you're talking about - I don't think Hope XCs have them?

I reckon he means the axle end, once you put the freehub shell on then the axle end then the casette lockring.

in which case by the time hes replaced the axle end, the pawls and springs (im not convinced by biro springs, it always leads to hub rape) and the bent axle (if it is bent, the hub aint gonna be as reliable as it should) he will have spent quite alot of money. then once he rides the thing, the sidewalls are just gonna dent like hell...probably wont be long before its new rim time

the freehub body has those notches cos the xc/mono axles are notoriously flexy, so the ratchet bites into the freehub body and causes those marks, a quick file to smooth it is all you can do, its not a problem

the axle end is exactly what I mean, thanks!

I'm still not certain whether to salvage or get my money back though, what is worying me is the fact that when I opened the packageing the freehub fell off, and bits of spring fell out. For the springs to be that f**ked the wheel must have been ridden on while not put together properly, meaning that the rachet might be screwed. How tough is that rachet, and how can I tell if its knackered?

If I have to send the damn thing back its going to be a f**king pain! it took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive with all this post office strike shit, and I'm going to have to wait for it to be sent back, get a refund, find another wheel then wait for the f**king thing to arrive. GAYNESS!

again, thanks for all the responces guys, the people of trials-forum never cease to impress me!

If the ratchet doesn't have it's 'teeth' anymore, then it's fooked.

Just complain to the seller, bodge it with biro springs and ride!

You'll only end up breaking a new axle anyway, so just keep everything as it is (apart from the springs) untill you properly break them.

You've paid your hard earned for that wheel and its not as described, say to him either "I want a full refund covering Paypal Fees" or "I want paying for all the parts that are damaged or else your getting a dirty negative feedback" or the pussy option of leaving positive feedback and spending millions on new bits.

You've paid your hard earned for that wheel and its not as described, say to him either "I want a full refund covering Paypal Fees" or "I want paying for all the parts that are damaged or else your getting a dirty negative feedback" or the pussy option of leaving positive feedback and spending millions on new bits.

It wasn't mis-described though. He's just not mentioned all the problems with it. He states the wheelbuild, what its been used for and that he ground the rim.

While he wasn't fully imformative of its condition, he in no way mislabelled it. So you can't file for a "item not received or significantly not as described" claim through ebay. Only thing you could probably do is email him and say the hub is messed up, see what he says and if he's an arse about it then try and claim the money back through paypal... who will be on the buyers side 97% of the time. All they'll want is that you send photo's of the wheel, send the emails from you and from him and they'll sort it out.

I'd be more concerned with the integrity of the rim than the hub ( once serviced . ) Good luck with it , Elliot and very informative responses from Pauloliver .

Perhaps he or another among you can advise me on what lube / grease to use in my own Hope XC ( rear . ) It's currently running dry and absurdly loudly , but I have a nagging feeling that I should lube it somehow . Teflon spray ? Thick grease ? any tips ?

I'd be more concerned with the integrity of the rim than the hub ( once serviced . ) Good luck with it , Elliot and very informative responses from Pauloliver .

Perhaps he or another among you can advise me on what lube / grease to use in my own Hope XC ( rear . ) It's currently running dry and absurdly loudly , but I have a nagging feeling that I should lube it somehow . Teflon spray ? Thick grease ? any tips ?

don't use grease at all, finish line wet xc lube comes highly recommended, or basically any similar lube really (engine oil works well). grease just makes everything respond really sloppily, i always strip out the grease from hope hubs as soon as i get them and fill with oil. don't use wd40 or alike, its too thin and can play havoc with the bearings as it seeps through the seals

elliot, i think you would be a fool not to get a refund, the postal strikes seem to have calmed down now and in the long run it will save you money. Hope would fix it for about 35quid (i think thats the general service price, inc new bearings) if you insist on keeping it, they will more than likely change things like the axle too for little/no cost, cos they are nice like that. the only reason the freehub fell off after unpacking is because it needs that axle end to keep everything in place, although it shouldn't be that easy to move...

insist on a refund BEFORE you send it back, i've had somebody claim they will refund me once they received the item, didn't receive a penny...alternatively suggest he pays at least half of the repair fees

• 2 weeks later...

Message from eBay Member Regarding Item #330151770275Hello Eliot, Please

forgive the delay in responding to you, my son - the trials rider, is on

holiday. I have, however spoken with him. He tells me that :

1 - As no cassette was fitted, the end of the hub is free to be removed.

2 - He fitted 3 new pawl springs prior to despatch.

3- Rim grinds - in competition use it is not uncommon to have 2 or more

grinds in a day, let alone the life of a wheel. I know this as I do them. I

assume that you are a sreet rider without competition experience.

4- Dents, again competition use leaves dents - it is a used wheel.

5- The skewer - was true when it left us.

From bitter experience, I know that the postal servic e in the UK is not the

finest. Any damage you mention,useage aside, can only have been caused by

the GPO. Perhaps you should contact them?

Regards

John

What do you recon? feel free to suggest replys to each point and when I get to work tonmorrow I'll check what you lot recon before replying to him,

thanks guys

Message from eBay Member Regarding Item #330151770275Hello Eliot, Please

forgive the delay in responding to you, my son - the trials rider, is on

holiday. I have, however spoken with him. He tells me that :

1 - As no cassette was fitted, the end of the hub is free to be removed.

2 - He fitted 3 new pawl springs prior to despatch.

3- Rim grinds - in competition use it is not uncommon to have 2 or more

grinds in a day, let alone the life of a wheel. I know this as I do them. I

assume that you are a sreet rider without competition experience.

4- Dents, again competition use leaves dents - it is a used wheel.

5- The skewer - was true when it left us.

From bitter experience, I know that the postal servic e in the UK is not the

finest. Any damage you mention,useage aside, can only have been caused by

the GPO. Perhaps you should contact them?

Regards

John

1 - with or without a cassette on, the hub should not fall apart.

2 - i havent seen the springs, no comment

3 - 2 or more grinds in a day! he's having a funking laugh isn't he?! having a fresh grind on comp day may well be all good, but having to redo it either means you have a rim made of cheese or can't grind to save your life. And if i were you, I'd be wanting to throttle him for being a patronising w@nker about being a street rider with no comp experience.

4 - he's right, but what has been sold to you was not described as a "dented" wheel, it was sold as a "used" wheel. the classified section of this forum would be a warzone if everything was as badly described as this auction.

5 - his word vs. yours.

he's trying to palm it off onto the post office, i say dont go to them until you ask him to provide receipts for the new springs and pictures of the true skewer before it left.

it is an offence in ebay t+c's to omit information which may be important in the potential buyers decision to bid, so report him.

J

2 - i havent seen the springs, no comment

have a look at the picture on the previous page, you can see one spring and what I believe to be the remains of another spring.

Edit: thanks for the responce, justifies my irritation!

Edited by Elliot