G-turn

Greetings

Can somebody give some advice as to how to do them? I've seen them on videos, seen them live and still have no idea how to do one.

I find the most difficult part is to start doing the backwards nose manual after the turn. How do you get the bike moving again once you've done the pivot?

im just learning these myself nd so far i have noticed when you have done the pivot if you tilt your feet forward and lean towards the bars and release the brake a bit it gets you rolloing, but depending on how fast and hard you push determens on how fast you role

hope iv helped and get some vids up when you can do then :)

sean

x

Can somebody give some advice as to how to do them? I've seen them on videos, seen them live and still have no idea how to do one.

I find the most difficult part is to start doing the backwards nose manual after the turn. How do you get the bike moving again once you've done the pivot?

www.thinkbikes.com

I don't know any other rider who can do them better than my friend Dave Lowe. He's on the forum as well. He would be the best person to E mail. There's a few video's on the website with them on.

The one that springs to mind is call "Something Cryptic"

Hope that helps

Darren

Practice nose-rolls on a slope, and squeakers so you're completely at home 'catching' yourself with the front brake.

As you're pivoting with the front brake on, get ready to push of backwards then let most if not all of the bite off the front brake.

I'll try to put a video up.

Jon

Just bumping this in case somebody has anything else to add :)

I can't say anything to help... But they are really cool.

Theres a slow motion one in Danny Mac's section in Damnationten this may help I'll try find a link to the video

This one if you haven't seen it.

Edited by Trix

I can't do these, and they really scare me (killed my ankle trying them ages ago). So take this with a pinch of salt. But...

I think when you get to the point where you change direction (front wheel goes from rolling forwards to rolling backwards) you need to give it a bit of a flick of the hips, and try to kick the back wheel up higher. If you have ever tried to do brakeless squeakers (i.e. front hops backwards without hopping), it's the same sort of thing. As with most techniques though, the other thing that helps is commitment and speed.

I've tried to master the G-Turn for ages and I can get the bike rolling backwards but I have no idea how you can get it to turn on the front wheel while rolling. Though I guess that this might help you a bit: Have you ever seen the squeakers style fronthops (the ones where you do backwards nosemanuals instead of hopping backwards) done? They can be seen in the coustellier nottingham vid for example. Or even better, can you do them? The body movement that you use to get the bike rolling backwards is the same as you do while doing these. The point is to keep your body weight on (not over) the bars and keep your arms straight during the whole move (!), otherwise you'll lose your momentum. When doing the pivot, release the front brake just before reaching the 180 mark and lean forward a bit with your hips and upper body and kindof pull the bike torwards yourself by bending your knees so that you push the front wheel to the direction you want it to go. (ie torwards the rear wheel) This should make the bike roll backwards on front wheel and put you into the right position for the whole move (arms straight, knees bent a bit).

Though I can't help you any further because I have no idea what to do to get the bike actually spinning.

Edited by loffa

The G turn is a smooth move, you just have to accept its going to take a long time, I have been doing front wheel moves for years now so I have g turns and roll backs down to a T, I’m doing squeakers with a blindfold on now to.

I have found it’s one of the hardest moves to teach someone, the best way to start is by perfecting the squeaker tricks first. When you come to doing the G Turn the biggest problem is committing to releasing the front brake after the pivot. When I do the move I approach the turn as a stoppie but I wouldn’t advise trying that yet.

Have a look at this video I do a few G Turns plus roll backs.

http://www.thinkbikes.com/video/thinkbikessheppey

The G turn is a smooth move, you just have to accept its going to take a long time, I have been doing front wheel moves for years now so I have g turns and roll backs down to a T, I’m doing squeakers with a blindfold on now to.

Not on that bike lol. Can someone explain what squeakers is please? but dont go into a conversation about it I dont want to hi-jack the thread

Can someone explain what squeakers is please?

Switzerland Squeakers? I think that's when you're up on the front wheel and you take your foot off the pedal, and use it to push on the front tyre to make the bike roll back, still up on the front wheel. Can I do it? No!

Switzerland Squeakers? I think that's when you're up on the front wheel and you take your foot off the pedal, and use it to push on the front tyre to make the bike roll back, still up on the front wheel. Can I do it? No!

Yes. If you watch that video that dave---thinkbikes.com put up, he does loads of them in that.

I learnt on my trials bike, but they're easier to do on the BMX. You need to not be scared to get your weight over the bars - it's like if you ever tried to do front wheel hops, you need to be bold and get right forward. Once you get used to the balance point you can really fly into them. A steep headangle helps, and without much trouble you can start doing 360+, like in that video.

Just lots of practice I suppose. Do the endo turn, but keep the bars turning and let the bike slip away underneath you. Be ready on the brake to catch it though...