Cannondale Fatty Solo

mehukatti

Was there any other reason except weight saving for a Lefty suspension fork :P

Less stiction, requiering a larger diameter tube justifying a larger leg, able to house the roller bearing design, allowing for dual crown forwald and aft stiffness yet still a good steering lock... and so on :shifty:

Thinking about it the ridgid makes sense, the wall thickness in a ridgid comuting fork is mostly determined by the forward and aft movement, however this thickness is not needed in the sideway directions, but its hard to butt the tube in the right directions, so removing a leg allows the sideways strength of the tubing to be put to use, and therefor removing dead weight. (...kinda, i guess, that makes sense a bit, i think, meh)

F*ck me, I want one.

Currently ride and enjoy Cannondale F600 for XC.

But this is the legend. Always loved their BadBoys. And look at the chainline.

Apart from the technical issues, there it is at least stylish having the rigid forks like that.

A mate of mine has some Leftys and they've been back 3 times in the last year, they just don't cope very well with 1) British dirt and 2) people that actually ride their bikes as opposed to fat middle aged people who just look at them.

Like you say though, very nice when they're working.

I've known a few guys with Lefty's. The big advantages were less weight and a much stiffer connection at the hub. Also, if you flat during a race you dont need to remove the wheel to change a tube. Disadvantages are as everyone said - cost if something goes wrong. Also, theres a slight problem with balance when on the rear wheel.

i just found Arron chase riding the lefty fork in a skatepark comp, if he cant brake it im sure it must be good!

As of this year (2008 bikes), Cannondale have stopped using the Lefty on their 'all mountain' or 'freeride' bikes. Now it's only on the XC bikes. So obviously they've got some sort of strength/durability/stiffness issue.

At the London to Southend Bike ride... commentator in Southend

"Blimey! look at this! this man must have been halfway through the race and one of his forks has snapped clean off! blimey! how did he manage that! blimey! this is incredible!!!"

I was sitting there laughing my head off! his voice as shock and awe!!! hahaha