The Universe Discussion

Boswell

Maybe the reason why no one knows how or why we are here, is because maybe every form or life form who has come close has died, for example the extinction of dinosaurs, or us now because of all this crap about emmisions and global warming.

if a meateor hit earth and wiped out dinosaurs... where in the planet did hit? thats what i want to know :D

There would be a huge crator... but there isnt on...

What if everything thing we think of in mind may well be from the past or is yet to come for example superman, or teenage mutant ninja turtles, maybe they are the future or maybe they are from an ancient civilisation or even part of another solar system or planet. The possibilities are endless

Meh i worded it wrong, that was my best attempt i cant really explain what im asking lol will just have to keep it to myself and keep thinking about it for days. Ok i think this is what im trying to ask, why is the lack of light seen to be black.

But 'black' is a human concept. Black is just the name we've chosen to give what we see (or rather what we don't see!). For all I know what I call black is what you call blue. There's no way of defining it other than to say it's black.

My science teacher described it best; Red, blue and green are colours, yes? They reflect light in a certain wavelength and that's percived by our eyes/brains as different colours. The way he saw it, black is not a colour, it's a shade. Unlike red, blue and green, the light isn't reflected back by black at all - it's absorbed (hence black being a 'warmer' colour). So whereas colours (red, blue and green) are areas where a certain material is reflecting light, black is an area where a material is not reflecting light (therefore is an absence of light). As 'space' in an area where there are no materials, there can be no reflection of light thus, blackness.

Hope that wasn't too confusing or hard to follow.

I agree anything just seems to be to perfect to be an accident. :)

Hmm you should try to think of it from the inverse angle too. On appearance, everything 'fitting perfectly' might seem to be a reasonable assumption to a Godly influence. However, eveything on this planet seems to work in systems, such as ecosystems, weather, etc. One action/reaction causes the next step in the system and a balance is reached. If the system was different or affected, it would still eventually come to an equilibrium, which would seem equally as perfect and if we were unaware of the previous system it would still create this impression of a 'perfect fit'.

What i'm trying to say is, with all those factors and agents co-existing, each will have a role or niche which will be vital or contribute which builds these systems, even if each of them were unrelated to begin with. It's likely that one of these isolated agents began the system then the rest of the factors formed. An example could be the introduction of oxygen into the atmosphere, which leads to organisms being formed and the start of the ozone layers and the gas cycles. The organisms become reliant on the conditions that this creates and the system becomes inter linked and expands, so it seems like everything 'fits perfectly'! Anything that doesn't 'fit perfectly' dies or adapts, i think that's the key point, maybe i should have just said this :huh:

Still can't get over how scientists think "oh yeah there was like loads of nothing then it got really hot randomly then stuff came out of absolutley nowhere :) "

The way I understand it (I think) is that scientists have sussed out that occasionally particles randomly appear out of nothing and disappear almost immediately. Pretty sure this has actually been observed. One idea is that the big bang was caused by two of these particles coming into existence in the same point in space and when one collapsed it basically started a massive nuclear explosion of matter which became the Universe. Basically there are theories about how it happened, not just a random excuse to replace the god theory...

is there not a possibility that you are the centre of the universe. wat if all this, this forum, your entire life was going on inside your head.

when you dream, the dream seems real to you at the time.... so what if this whole universe was one big dream. which eventually youll wake up from, and be in a real universe. but even then that universe may not be as you know it, it may exist as all that ever happens outside your head is your life, where you are just an inanimate creature, in a blank white room.

which wont be known till we wake up from this state. at which point this whole world doesnt exist, but then it doesnt exist anyway other than in your head.

we may just be NPC's with a.i in some mmorpg programmed by some computer gaming aliens. and the ai is that advanced, we have emotions and evolve etc. (a stupid theory, but cant be disproved ever, neither can any other theory in such a way)

one things for sure, well never know for definite what this universe is, even if it doesnt exist.

Why does nothing have to come from anywhere? An infinite space with nothing but the odd universe occasionally popping up!

Regarding the dinosaur mass extinction/ crater thing... the craters exist although no one can prove which caused the extinction. Brief quote from some website:

"The impact was so enormous it changed the shape of the earth's crust -- 22 miles below the surface of the planet. The Chicxulub crater is the first location where deformation at the base of the crust has been found in a terrestrial impact crater.

The scientific team concluded that the Chicxulub crater is about 125 miles in diameter, and that 12,000 cubic miles of debris was blasted out of the earth by the impact. The impact carved out a cavity about 7.5 miles below sea level. Mount Everest, in comparison, is 5.5 miles high. Prior to this research, the size and morphology of the Chicxulub crater had been in dispute, with estimates of its diameter ranging between 180 and 300 kilometers."

That's a big crater...

The way I understand it (I think) is that scientists have sussed out that occasionally particles randomly appear out of nothing and disappear almost immediately. Pretty sure this has actually been observed. One idea is that the big bang was caused by two of these particles coming into existence in the same point in space and when one collapsed it basically started a massive nuclear explosion of matter which became the Universe. Basically there are theories about how it happened, not just a random excuse to replace the god theory...

thing is, why do particles come out of nothing thats the whole idea of nothing,

so, seems like a random excuse to me

Edited by afroman

I like trials punks ideas. Its intriging. Always thought what if we werent actualy living life now but were just watching it back in some advanced video type system. Wierd but possible. Do you thnik well ever know where it all came from? or will global warming f**k things up before that.

I like trials punks ideas. Its intriging. Always thought what if we werent actualy living life now but were just watching it back in some advanced video type system. Wierd but possible. Do you thnik well ever know where it all came from? or will global warming f**k things up before that.

who cares about global warming, i for one will be dead before i givve a shit about the consequences

On a similar note, what if you were in a coma? Even more hardcore, what if you were in a coma specifically designed so that you would imagine living life, so that your brain didn't explode from doing nothingness? Imagining you were reliving life would be a way of making sure you came out of the coma still remaining intelligent because you kept yourself mentally stimulated. You be a serial rapist or murderer or you could be a space traveller, bein comarised whilst on a long haul journey - which would explain the fascination of the universe...

As has been said, I highly doubt if anyone will ever understand the universe fully.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Humans suck.

We have all this opportunity to discover other life and stuff, but were all too busy to find it.

Also if God is real then there must be other life. Otherwise its an awful waste of space, my brother worked out that there is 458522985180000000000000000 miles diameter to the universe.

so, suggesting that the universe is a sphere, that makes it something like

8296942617936070441327208577600000003243544571972764173607146131 miles cubed.

Yeah, pretty big.

EDIT: not to mention that its growing as i type....

Edited by sheehan