Mac Problems

Spikenipple

recently I've noticed programs require two Force Quits to quit

Odd. I can't say that's ever happened to me.

In other news, I was using my girlfriend's MacBook earlier which is still running Tiger. It looks so old and dated now I'm used to Leopard!

I have to Force Quit twice to get stuff to shut on my Mac. (N)

On another note. Anyone good with Logic 8 ?

"Overview can not be saved because file does not have significent privileges"

Making it so I'm now no longer able to Record at home, take to work and mix in the mix room as it won't open the files!

Sounds like your permissions have messed up when you've transferred them. I'd advise doing a save as, should work then. If not, make sure you're logged in as admin?

It's when you're actually in Logic. You go to record something, or copy a sample into the page, and then it comes up saying that as you either finish recording or go to start playing what you've done.

Thinking I might re-format it, and see if that helps...

Quick question about the battery in the macbook's.

What do you all do to maintain your battery?

If most of the time im using my macbook at home, is it okay just to leave the battery out and just have it connected via the plug all the time instead?

Quick question about the battery in the macbook's.

What do you all do to maintain your battery?

If most of the time im using my macbook at home, is it okay just to leave the battery out and just have it connected via the plug all the time instead?

Apple recommend you not to do that, and it actually makes the computer slower. I leave my battery in all the time, and most of the time my laptop is plugged in too, same as most people would do I imagine.

Hey, I realise this isn't a problem, but I came across this on the Apple website and I think it's bloody awesome!

It's an application that uses a night vision camera thingy on your iSight camera and it records your sleep patterns etc..

Here

James

Haha, I was gonne wait and see if anyone else offered too. I don't know why but I feel a bit dubious about it. I'l have to do it in the week aswell becuase I'm at home atm and my iMac is by my bed at uni. I'l let you know how it goes man.

Haha, I was gonne wait and see if anyone else offered too. I don't know why but I feel a bit dubious about it. I'l have to do it in the week aswell becuase I'm at home atm and my iMac is by my bed at uni. I'l let you know how it goes man.

I was bored and tried it last night, although it did wake me up 3 times within the night because, to get the camera to focus it has to use the backlight of the computer, therefore a big ass white light comes on that is likely to wake you up if you are a light sleeper like me, although that only lasts for around 5 seconds, not sure how often it occurs though.

My camera couldnt pick up the image properly either so it was just a bit of a blur until the sun came out in the morning, unless i just hadnt set it up properly.

It's quite clever as it takes snapshots every 2mins, then compiles them into a video for you that shows what you did through the night with a little timer in the corner aswell, also if you are a sleep talker, then it will record audio that lasts for over 5 seconds (that can be changed i think to less than 5 secs), so you can hear what you say during the night.

So just make sure you have somewhere decent to place it that shows your whole body, also make sure there is a dim light within the room to begin with aswell for best results, or even the light from outside by leaving your curtains open.

Back to the thread, if im sharing an external drive on my xp machine, is there a way of getting a shortcut to it on my macbooks desktop? rather than having to go into finder>recent servers

Im going to try again tonight and see what its like, give it a go and see what you think.

Edited by Bondy

i have my mac mini, and a wd external 500gb hdd attached by firewire. but the transfer rate is odd, when copying random files across in finder it goes quick, like normal, but sometimes it goes really slow.

the only times i have noticed this is;

-when importing files into itunes that are on the internal hdd, it seems to import one song, at a fast rate, then pause for 4 or 5 seconds before copying the next song. (i have it set so my library is kept on the external and itunes copies the files when importing)

-when editing the song info of an itunes song, like going 'get info' and changing the song name, there is like a 4 second lag when you click ok.

-in logic 8, if i have the recording path set to my external hdd, when you press record, there will be a long wait, between 20 and 60 seconds until the track starts to record. but if its set to record to internal its instant.

these are minor things but i just got a bit sick of it as ive just had to rename like 20 tracks in itunes and it took ages.

phil

I think that's one of the problems with firewire. It can transfer large files quite quickly but it needs time to process each one, which is why the file will copy, then pause, then copy another. If you can plug your hard drive in via USB (2.0) I suspect it'll be faster for the things you mention (and marginally slower for copying large files).