Mac Problems

Spikenipple

How do I go about installing Leopard on my Powerbook from my external drive?

I've got a 250GB WD Mybook which has got firewire so it should work, right? So I put the ISO on my external drive? Do I have to empty the drive of all the other stuff? Where do I stick it on the drive? Any tips?

My DVD drive is borked, so I can't use the proper leopard DVD. That's the reason.

Should work. All Intel macs have 'Rosetta' which lets them run older PowerPC programs via emulation. They'll be slow but since the Intel macs are pretty fast and it's an old game, it should be fine.

If it's an OS 9 game, it should just work in classic (OS 9 emulator) but I understand that classic has been ditched for Leopard. So it should work if you've got Tiger, but maybe not leopard.

Can you get me on msn?

iamjonmack@googlemail.com

Failing that I could not be so lazy and just go back 3 pages to when we talked Rob through it...

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....t&p=1463891

There's Nicks post, I'd only tell you the same thing on MSN so that should do it.

So basically, you don't have to empty your drive, but it's useful.

What you do is what Nick says, then once youve done that, open your hard drive, and double click the installer icon, it will then restart your computer and load up into the Leopard installer.

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/upgr...pard-315637.php

When it gets to this screen

choose-destination.jpg

Press Options (on the left) and choose Archive and Install.

When it gets to this screen

install-summary.jpg

Press Customize (on the left) and deselect all the shit you dont want (for me that's everything except X11).

Should take about half an hour to finish.

The amusing "Less than a minute" is my favourite part of the installation, usually takes between 5 and 15 minutes to go away. Brilliant.

If you have any probs, my msn is up there ^

Phil, Finder>Preferences

General:

Sidebar:

Edited by JonMack

Holy Crap, upgrading OS X is so easy and ace.

I just got Leopard and it's kept all my email settings, preferences, even my old desktop wallpaper. Whoa. Love it already.

Thanks Jon for trying to help on MSN. Oh, and to the makers of CarbonCopyCloner which did the trick where disk utility failed.

Possibly not the right thread but o well.

Anyone know how I can compress a 613mb .avi even smaller for youtube? (the original was much bigger)

I'm sure that size would go on but it takes FOR-ever.

http://handbrake.fr/ is the solution I think. It can change a lot of shit and compress it in to rubbish quality or small size :P

Yeah upgrade is okay. Did you use a full Leopard install DVD or the Drop-in disc supplied to some Mac's?

Although the last '1 minute remaining' takes anything between 5 and 15 mins it's pretty swish.

Just got my macbook, i ordered it yesterday at around 4pm online and it came this morning to my total surprise :mellow: but im not complaining!

Anyway, ive got an external drive i use for one of my pc's and wanted to instead use it for the mac, i've noticed i cant add folders etc to the drive and looked up on t'internet and found that macs cant write onto NTFS formatted drives.

So how do i go about making it usable on the mac?

Another question, what do you guys use to convert DVD's to .mp4, i know that handbrake is good for converting, but what applications do you use for getting rid of the copyright protection?

Cheers!

You need to reformat the drive to either fat32 or hfs. This is easy to do in Disk Utility.

guide...

Yeah, that's the easy way, but will involve wiping the drive. Also I don't think disk utility can format to FAT32, only Apple format so the drive will then only work with your mac and not PCs. If you format it with a PC, you can do it in FAT32. Type this into a cmd window:

format i: /fs:fat32

Where i is the letter of the drive.

BUT

The best thing to do is to use a PC with Partition Magic. That way you can just change the file system to FAT32 without erasing anything. It takes a while and it's not foolproof (you should make backups of important stuff), but it works. It's not free software though.

Thx for the help, ive partitioned the drive and now it works fine :)

Quick question though,

My keyboard isnt working? Have i accidentally pressed a button that locks the keyboard somehow, or is it just not working? I cant restart the macbook at the mo because im in the middle of something thats going to take an hour or so still.

It did it earlier, but then it started working again, but now its stopped completely.

EDIT: It's now decided to work again :|

Edited by Bondy

2 questions...

First, i need to burn an *.avi file to a dvd to watch in a dvd player, whats the best program to use? or is there already something in leotard?

Second, i have some kind of blank/broken dvd/random dvd shaped disc in my mac mini drive thats not showing up anywhere, how can i get it out if i cant eject it?!

Phil

2 questions...

First, i need to burn an *.avi file to a dvd to watch in a dvd player, whats the best program to use? or is there already something in leotard?

Second, i have some kind of blank/broken dvd/random dvd shaped disc in my mac mini drive thats not showing up anywhere, how can i get it out if i cant eject it?!

Phil

I use Isquint to swap avi's to mp4 video (Y)

And tuboyjuego to rip off you tube (Y)

Jarrod

Just a quick one,

I've already tried searching but cant find any info on this.

Basically, you get the power adapter (the brick thing) and the power cord (to make the cord longer) and the little plug you can attach to the power adapter with the macbook, the power cord fits very nicely into the power adapter, yet i dont need a cord that long and wanted to just use the plug instead, yet for some reason, even with quite a firm bit of force, it doesnt want to go in? When i start pushing harder it starts making cracking noises, so i dont really want to try too hard incase it breaks.

Do i have a dodgey plug, or does it just need some umph when i push it, although the power cord slides on really easy.

Is there any way of hiding a volume on my external drive?

I've got a 10GB partition at the start of the drive with the leopard install on, which I want to keep. But every time I plug the drive in, two hard drives show up on the desktop/finder (I.e. 2 Partitions). Is there any way to 'hide' the 10Gb one but still be able to use it for booting from?

I basically want to stop OS X from auto- mounting that partition.