Mac Problems

Spikenipple

I think that's one of the problems with firewire. It can transfer large files quite quickly but it needs time to process each one, which is why the file will copy, then pause, then copy another. If you can plug your hard drive in via USB (2.0) I suspect it'll be faster for the things you mention (and marginally slower for copying large files).

Pretty much what Tomm said.

FireWire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer. USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" structure in which the computer handles all functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached stuff (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control)

Firewire is really good at fewer, larger files. USB is relatively better (or not as shit) at transferring more files, but less size.

Firewire will still on average be quicker, between 20-40% quicker on lots of tiny files, and 60-80% quicker on fewer in number, but larger in size files.

Hope that explains kinda, if not http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html gives more info..

-in logic 8, if i have the recording path set to my external hdd, when you press record, there will be a long wait, between 20 and 60 seconds until the track starts to record. but if its set to record to internal its instant.l

Don't ever record onto an external hardrive, ever. I fell flat on my backside a few times, where I noticed my CPU was going flat out, and I was only doing one channel. Record it onto your main hardrive, then copy it over.

Even if you've sorted the problem out, still do it. Makes your Mac run faster :]

Don't ever record onto an external hardrive, ever. I fell flat on my backside a few times, where I noticed my CPU was going flat out, and I was only doing one channel. Record it onto your main hardrive, then copy it over.

Even if you've sorted the problem out, still do it. Makes your Mac run faster :]

The perfect option would be a second IDE drive inside the computer, but recording to the main hdd is not good for the whole system. Firstly it strains the drive loads and the drive would be more prone to just die, not nice if your stuff is in there. Secondly, since recording rushes a big stream of data to the hdd, it isn't put tidily, and you'd have to fragment your drive very often.

Though, I don't know how you could make it work properly. Would be worth googling your hdd with os x ...

The perfect option would be a second IDE drive inside the computer, but recording to the main hdd is not good for the whole system. Firstly it strains the drive loads and the drive would be more prone to just die, not nice if your stuff is in there. Secondly, since recording rushes a big stream of data to the hdd, it isn't put tidily, and you'd have to fragment your drive very often.

Though, I don't know how you could make it work properly. Would be worth googling your hdd with os x ...

Unless it's a non standard Mac HD ? I paid £50 and upgraded to a faster spindle.

Is your a standard, or not mate ?

If need be. My mate uses a Duel Firewire connector External HD. Runs faster than the internal.

But as I said before. In my experience, my CPU always ends up crashing and "Core Audio Overload" appears on my screen. (N)

But what do I know, I'm only a Studio Engineer :P

cant get messenger for mac working, i have tried changing the cache settings any ideas? its just keeps saying it couldnt log in and there is a problem with the connection.

What msn client? Try MSN messenger by microsoft, then Adium.

If not then it sounds like there's a problem your end with your router and blocked ports.

RE: Compressor for Final Cut Studio 2

Does anyone here know of a way to make it so that the progress bar has a continual percentage counter, rather than the one it's using on mine currently which simply updates the % every 5 seconds?

Hmph, network problems on my mac, i have a host computer on windows vista, and a few client computers, including my mac, the windows based systems seem to be working fine, yet on my mac after a few mins my connection seems to just drop, im still connected to the network, yet cant do anything?

I had azureus installed thinking that maybe conflicting with the network somehow yet its still not working, anyone got any ideas, its getting annoying now? It also did use to happen on the other computers, yet i havent used them enough recently to notice.

EDIT: Sorted

Edited by Bondy

Think we should have a mac programme list, must haves!

Incase any of us are missing out on the already, advantages of mac.

I'd say

PS

Quickshare

VLC

aperture

iserielreader

toast titanium

tomato torrent

office

What else?

Adium (MSN/AIM/etc.)

Perian (for playing all file types in Quicktime)

Quicksilver (for application launching/iTunes hotkeys/masses of other things)

Default Folder X (better save dialog)

Flip4Mac (play WMVs in Quicktime)

Fan Control (if you have a MBP)

Growl (Notifications from Adium, Transmit, Mail, etc.)

iStat Menus (CPU Temp, Fan Speeds, CPU usage, RAM usage, etc.)

aMSN (for webcam sluts)

Flickr Uploadr

Smultron (for HTML/CSS editing)

Skype (VOIP)

Transmit (FTP)

I'm sure a cheeky google will get you all the d/l links, and iSerialReader + Serial Box will get you SNs ;)

PS

Quickshare

VLC

aperture

iserielreader

toast titanium

tomato torrent Transmission is way better

Also anyone NOT using Quicksilver really needs to get their think pod examined, it's the best piece of software for any computer ever. Apart from that I don't think there are any must haves for me. Just Office, Mail, VLC.

What exactly does Quicksilver do? I just watched a vid on boobtube and all it seemed to show was him opening applications using shortcut names.

Now to me, I could just either use spotlight which requires less clicks, or for programs, do to the dock?

O and I installed Transmission, seems better! (Y)