Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Or make an applescript to do it, along the lines of

Tell

Terminal

"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

"Killall Finder"

End Tell

and then save it as an application named something like "Hide" and Robert's your mothers brother.

ive had my mac about months now and i think it may be decreasing in performance.

ive noticed it slightly in the speed of loading programs etc but mostly while watching video, the sound stutters every few mins.

are there any kind of cleanup programs or is there anything i can do to get rid of stuff thats clogging it up. does it make a difference that i leave it on for days at a time without restarting?

when i try converting a word document to pdf it comes up with "cant print to pdf, no pdf printer drivers installed"

so off i went to adobe.com and downloaded the latest ps driver 8.8, but when i try open it it is trying to open in mac os9 and so therefore it wont....

help?

cheers

dan

EDIT: thanks nick......... i was being a tard

Edited by Urban mammoth

Not really a problem, but this is probably the most relevant thread for mac info.

I'm looking at getting a macbook and ive never used a mac before or know much about them as ive always been a PC person, so just need to clarify a few thins that have popped up whilst looking into them.

All i really want it for is for college work, design and editing etc and im sure they are perfect for that.

Firstly, when buying one, have any of you bothered getting the apple care thing? It seems like a lot for something that i may not use, just wondered whether any of you use it and have ever needed it, or not got it and needed it?

Secondly, I've also got 2 pc's and a laptop in the house already and im assuming theres no trouble in just connecting the macbook up to the network and sharing folders etc?

Thirdly, Also i have all my work (word, excel, database documents etc) on my PC, what software do mac's use to support these kind of files, is it a case of converting the files to be used for macs, or can they just be used straight from the original files?

and what is the realistic battery life of the macbooks like? ooh and i assume theres no problem me using the 'educational discount' thingy to buy it, as i was reading in previous posts saying you need to be between 16-18 years old, yet that doesnt really cover people my age (19) and those in uni?

Chees guys

Edited by Bondy

there is a separate deal for uni people. is pretty good usually.

sharing files isnt a problem.

get mac office 2008 which is just Microsoft office on a mac basically lol

they are simple to get used to.

battery life. i get 3 hours from a 17" mbp. so possibly 4 from a macbook, depending what you do obviously.

Go into a mac store and say your a student and you get good deals. What kind of designing you thinking of doing? Macbooks will do it well but Macbook pros will do it better ofcourse. I have a Macbook and it does everything I atm need it to do but I am doing video and my macbook doesnt run the full version of Final cut studio, I have to use the express version which atm does the job. I have the care thing which i have not yet had to use but It is worth it if you end up do needing to use it as my dad has had a few problems with his.

Find someone with a University ID card and buy it from an Apple store - I think it's 14% discount on the MacBook's or 15% on the MBP's.

Get Applecare if you can get University discount 'cos it's reduced down from £199 to £58.75 which is a BARGAIN. If you don't need it, sell it for a profit on eBay - Simple!

As long as you can set up your file sharing with the PC's it's pretty easy within the OS to connect to PC's over your wired or wireless network. Office 2008 is just out and £99 for the Student and Home edition - worth buying I'd say.

I get about 4 hours on my MacBook Pro's battery on full brightness heaving useage and it's 7 months old. Applecare covers your battery which has an expected life of 12-18months meaning it's well worth it buying the extra cover.

Only thing to note about the MacBook's is that they have shared graphics cards which means they sometimes don't meet requirements by some pro software (Final Cut a good example, or games such as Need for Speed Carbon). They're a decent computer for what you seem to say you'll need. I'm not sure where the f**k Colchester is but there's Apple stores popping up everywhere now so you'll be reet.

Gimme a shout via PM if you need anymore help.

Not really a problem, but this is probably the most relevant thread for mac info......

Cocktail, or the command I posted with NO instead of YES, but I wouldn't want it back to normal to be honest, I love it this way. I've been using it like this for the last... lots of years, so I'm just used to it. Every now and then I'll try it on the side or hidden but I always come back to bottom right hand corner.

Safari... not as far as I know, sorry dude.

Thanks for the replies helping me decide on getting a macbook, im mainly going to be using it for image editing, web design etc and general document work and whatever else i decide on taking up.

Oh and one more thing before i finally order it, as it comes with 1GB RAM standard, i was thinking of getting more, now on the apple website, it says that for 2GB ram its an extra £80, and for 4GB is an extra £507!!? Do they use diamond encrusted RAM sticks or something? I found some sticks that are 2GB for £27.99 Linky

which seems a very good price , just wondered why apple are charging so much for RAM off of them, plus is that RAM in the link any good and how easy is it to fit into the macbook?

Thx!

Thanks for the replies helping me decide on getting a macbook, im mainly going to be using it for image editing, web design etc and general document work and whatever else i decide on taking up.

No reason for the 2gb sticks being so much to be honest!

I'd get it from there which I've heard good reviews about or Crucial are decent - I got 4gb for my MacBook pro for under £100 which is a really good price and it's ridiculously quick now!

Really easy to fit in a MacBook, add me to MSN I'll even talk you through it. You just need a Phillips #0 screwdriver to un-do three screws.

When you get in to design and image editing it should be okay, although when you move to Video or gaming it will really have trouble due to the shared memory on the graphics card.

Just something worth bearing in mind.

How do I go about installing Leopard on my Powerbook from my external drive?

I've got a 250GB WD Mybook which has got firewire so it should work, right? So I put the ISO on my external drive? Do I have to empty the drive of all the other stuff? Where do I stick it on the drive? Any tips?

My DVD drive is borked, so I can't use the proper leopard DVD. That's the reason.

if i wanna run this game will it run on my intel mac mini, even though the requirements are a power pc?

Should work. All Intel macs have 'Rosetta' which lets them run older PowerPC programs via emulation. They'll be slow but since the Intel macs are pretty fast and it's an old game, it should be fine.

If it's an OS 9 game, it should just work in classic (OS 9 emulator) but I understand that classic has been ditched for Leopard. So it should work if you've got Tiger, but maybe not leopard.