Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Is there any way of hiding a volume on my external drive?

I've got a 10GB partition at the start of the drive with the leopard install on, which I want to keep. But every time I plug the drive in, two hard drives show up on the desktop/finder (I.e. 2 Partitions). Is there any way to 'hide' the 10Gb one but still be able to use it for booting from?

I basically want to stop OS X from auto- mounting that partition.

As far as I'm aware you'll just have to eject is when you start your computer up, should take a mere 2 seconds though if you just don't want it for Aesthetic reasons?

I sorted it out, I merely had to create an fstab and use the following line:

UUID=93333830-CC58-3446-B216-523B58D0CE8D none hfs rw,noauto 0 0

Where UUID is the unique identifier of the partition. The 'noauto' bit is the important bit - it prevents the volume from being automatically mounted. Works perfectly.

Simple really :P

I thought little snitch was gonna kill my computer when I had kernel for a good 10 mins when restarting but it's alright now.

Office '08 is good :P

Is it? Any differences? I'm still on PowerPC so I'm not sure if the upgrade will be worth it.

Is it? Any differences? I'm still on PowerPC so I'm not sure if the upgrade will be worth it.

Yeah it's pretty swish.

Looks a lot better. Much better templates. Not worth paying £100 for but still worth having if you can get it. It's fine on my Intel. I do use Pages a lot though so it's not gonna be used an awful lot!

Fair enough. The incompatibility pissed me off a bit so I switched over to Word after the Pages trial was up. Now it's annoying because I have a load of notes that are only accessible through Notes and can't be used on any other computer/my phone etc.

quick question.

How can i get my screen to turn off, without stopping the the things i am doing on the computer. I want to close the lid and leave it for a few hours whilst i'm downloading and converting videos etc, except if i'm downloading then when i shut the lid, the connection is cut off.

Is there anyway around this?

EDIT: or is it alright to just turn the energy saver off so that it doesnt put itself into sleep mode and just turn the brightness all the way down to save power?

Edited by Bondy

quick question.

How can i get my screen to turn off, without stopping the the things i am doing on the computer. I want to close the lid and leave it for a few hours whilst i'm downloading and converting videos etc, except if i'm downloading then when i shut the lid, the connection is cut off.

Is there anyway around this?

EDIT: or is it alright to just turn the energy saver off so that it doesnt put itself into sleep mode and just turn the brightness all the way down to save power?

You could use energy saver to set your computer to never go to sleep and your monitor to go to sleep after 1 minute.

That's what I do, or 10 with my iMac, infact my iMac never goes to sleep, I just set it so the harddrive sleeps.

is there any way to change the default 'downloads' folder to somewhere else, like a folder on the desktop called my stuff for example, so that anything safari downloads goes there, if not how do you change where safari downloads things/asks every time?

edit* sorry im blind, i just found it...

Edited by *PHIL*

is there any way to change the default 'downloads' folder to somewhere else, like a folder on the desktop called my stuff for example, so that anything safari downloads goes there, if not how do you change where safari downloads things/asks every time?

edit* sorry im blind, i just found it...

Pretty obvious...

Preferences in Safari:

picture160a17.png

I'm getting a really weird problem, ever since I put iLife 08' on my compy, I can't upload pictures on flickr, when I get to the "upload picture" page, either of my browsers (firefox and safari) just die... I guess I could use their program that does it from the desktop but I find it's a really weird problem...

when are movies available to rent off the itunes store in the uk?

As far as i'm aware, its still "Sometime this year", although apparently if you register one of your cards with a valid american residence then you can access the US version of itunes and download the movies as they do not do it via your IP, rather where youre billing information is.

Presumably though the only movie servers are in the US at the moment, so even if you could technically get it to work, it'd still be really slow?

Most servers of what you browse on the net are in the US.

It won't make a diff if they're in the US or not, should be okay if you were in the UK, it's just the access issue. Should be a month or two I reckon until they're available! :)

More external drive partitioning questions (carrying on from before).

I want a drive with the following:

10GB Leopard install at the start of the drive

100Gb Time Machine volume

140Gb 'Stuff' volume to be accessible from both Mac and PC (I.e. formatted as FAT32)

At the moment, it's formatted with the 'Apple Partition Map' and I've created the first two partitions fine, formatted as Mac OS X Extended. Disk Utility won't let me change this, and it also won't allow me to create a FAT32 partition on the drive. Windows doesn't recognise any volumes - only 250Gb of 'unknown' space, so I don't want to format the drive with Windows otherwise it'll presumably wipe the whole lot.

Is there any way of filling the remaining space with a FAT32 partition?

Is the Apple Partition Map the same thing as a Windows MBR?

Can Time Machine run on a FAT32 partition?