Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Depends what programs are running, if they're new (to the computer) drives or not, and how long the computer has been on. The USB isn't a shared bus so it wont make any difference.

Logic 8 only usually.

Only run one program at a time.

It will be slow even after only an hour being on. Really fast from the start, like, how it use to be. As soon as it gets roughly over an hour, it suddenly gets really hot and slows right down.

What ever's happening, it's very annoying.

I'd suggest downloading an application to monitor your iMac's temp such as Temp Monitor or such. Also look at your Activity monitor to see what CPU usage and what processes are running.

Sometimes background processes can hog your CPU and yeah, Jon makes a good point about your Ram. The more you have in for Logic the better. Although 1GB is minimum requirements, 2GB is a must to be honest, and 4gb desirable. Logic is a real hardware-hungry application and that's why the Pro's use Mac Pro's with 4/8 cores and lots and lots of ram.

When was the operating system last wiped and put back on, and what version are you using. Make sure you've done all recent updates and if needs be use your original disks to erase and install which should/will sort any software issues.

Failing that then you could maybe have bad ram so install your original if you have upgraded it, or do an Apple Hardware Test (AHT) which should be on Disk 1 of your originals, allowing it to check your Logic Board, Ram, HD's, yadda yadda....

Failing that book it in at an Apple Store and get someone to look at it at the bar. If you're out of your Applecare warranty (if you had it) It'll be about £46 to diagnose any problems or even look at it after your 20 minute bar slot just for you to bear in mind..

The new iMac has 4GB. The ACM ones have 2gb.. and MBP is about 2GB, I think

It's only really started going wrong since I let it update.

I have an idea how to stop it getting hot. Mainly, it's in a soundproofed room. So I've nicked my mates AC to see if it's going to cool down the room temp.

The macs have now decided to read my HDD's now. Bet you tomorrow they wont accept any thing's been plugged in!

Weirdly though - Logic Runs really fast on my old Macbook! :S - And that's 1GB!!

I will see how it all performs in a chilled studio.

Not mac but apple problem. Im using Safari on my laptop as its hella quicker than IE. Except it wont do anything media wise. Says it has no flash installed. I follow links all over the place to install it. Must have installed so many different versions its silly. Theres a link that says for other browsers- safari but gives you an option that i dont think im running. Any help?

Not mac but apple problem. Im using Safari on my laptop as its hella quicker than IE. Except it wont do anything media wise. Says it has no flash installed. I follow links all over the place to install it. Must have installed so many different versions its silly. Theres a link that says for other browsers- safari but gives you an option that i dont think im running. Any help?

My version did that for a while. I re-installed it and it fixed it. I don't have a clue why it did it. See if JM, or OBM have any other suggestions though :)...

It's a Windows problem though, I doubt JonMack will have a clue. As for OBM, he doesn't have a mac, has never posted in here and is computer illiterate.

Rich J - not quite sure what you mean by this ("Theres a link that says for other browsers- safari but gives you an option that i dont think im running. ") - maybe explain a bit better.

Its an Apple problem....

When i open a page that requires flash a box appears at the top of the screen saying...I do not have the correct plug in installed to run the content.

Follow a link that appears to the flash installation site. Then gives me options to download for different browsers. I select that then choose Safari. Gives me two options Mac Intel and Mac Power PC. Neither of which i have. Tried installing both.

Make anymore sense? sorry if it doesnt.

Will it not work because im running windows or am i doing things wrong.

Rich

Yeah but you don't have a Mac so neither of the Mac ones will work. It's a bit confusing since that Adobe site doesn't seem to recognise Safari for the PC, but I think the firefox version should do it. (Apparently Safari just takes the plugins from Firefox, so if flash works in Firefox it should work in Safari as soon as you install it, assuming you already had an up-to-date Firefox?).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.

Picking up my new Macbook next Thursday. Is everything going to be set up on it? and should I get anti-virus and a firewall? If so what ones?

My macs from work and uni have always had everything pre-done, so I've had not a clue how it goes from the beginning!

They work straight from the box so you don't need to install anything, all the software is pre-installed for you. And don't worry about anti-virus software, the likelihood of getting a virus is very slim (I'm saying that instead of Mac's being immune just in case someone wants to question it :)). Firewalls are unnecessary if the chances of getting a virus are low.

Are Macs as susceptible to ad-ware and spy-ware as PCs are then? I know everyone says they're virtually immune to viruses, but do those count as viruses (virii or whatever the correct plural is :P) or are they seperate?

I don't even know why you would want to buy Norton for your PC.

Good call, when troubleshooting any program it's usually the first thing they ask (if not in the top ten things they ask) is for you to turn off Norton. It catches very few things, the things it does catch it often can fix and it f**ks with everything else on your computer. Oh, and it absoultely rapes your computer of any excess RAM. Norton sucks the balls.