Painting My Frame And Forks

duggyd

Hi,

I have recently aquired a new frame and forks, (Toxsin one) and have yet to recieve them. When I do though, i would like to spray the frame gloss white, and the forks mat black, cos i think it would look shit hot!

The frame is currantly stripped. There are a couple of little dents in the downtube, and i want to fill them before i spray the frame if possible?

Any advice would be very much appreciated, things such as which paint to use, how to fill the dents, and whether to use laquer etc etc. Also where i can pick up some Toxsin decals for the frame....

Cheers guys!

Edited by duggyd

Thanks :) Pretty cool, I can;t believe i didn't look there. Doh!

I did see somehwere a guy saying do coats every 20 mins, is that wrong? Or a different type of paint?

Also, do you know what to fill dents with? I want the frame to look nice and smooth when I'm done :)

Cheers!

I used white etching primer when i sprayed my boa white. It didnt work as i thought it would. Tenner a tin! Just like normal primer..

I also used filler. It did the job. I cant remember what make it was.. Worked though. Good luck (Y)

Didnt nock the filled holes though so im not sure..

If the dents are'nt that big, get some high build primer, and then flat it down slowly, with some 400 grit, and it'll eventually get rid of the dents, and won't come off if hit again :)

Thanks Tom

High build primer? Is that just really thick primer which, as the name suggests, builds up to fill holes?!

Would i get such a thing in B&Q? Or is it a car specific paint, so Halfords maybe?

Cheers

Try halfords, its good stuff, jus spray the whole frame one coat in it, then focus on the dents, wafting over them with it, flatting it down when you think its built up enough. Then give the whole frame another coat of it, and your done :D

Make sure you cover ALL the threads when using this stuff thou, it'll naker them easily.

Just out of interest, is preparing a Alu frame any different to preparing a Steel one? Do you still strip and primer it in the same way?

you should really use acid etch primer for aluminium otherwise the paint wont stick quite as well as steel because of the way aluminium oxidizes. someones about to tell me i'm wrong though, i can feel it...

you should really use acid etch primer for aluminium otherwise the paint wont stick quite as well as steel because of the way aluminium oxidizes. someones about to tell me i'm wrong though, i can feel it...

Normal primer from halfords has always done the trick for me, never had problems at all and neither have friends. You may be correct but normal primer works just fine.

Great, thanks for the info everyone, Shoudl come out with a pretty sorted frame eventually then!

I'll remember to be careful with the threads, i don't wanna ruin the frame.

Halfords here I come! lol

Just put your maggy bolts in maggy holes and if you have a snapped bb around i ususally put that in mine or just leave your bb in.