Onza/meta Cranks Same Thing Different Price

Joe Aston

Iv just been looking for some new cranks and i saw the meta cranks at 75 quid then i saw the cranks on the onza t pro are exactly the same only in black so i gave supercycles a call and they are selling them at 30 quid so i was just wondering what the differences is if any at all if their is no difference its a massive price difference for the same cranks

07tcomp7.jpg

metacranks201.jpg

Thanks

joe

Edited by Joe Aston

they look almost the same, i would guess they probably are onza usualy copy someone else and put the onza logo on, i would get a set if they come im 170mm but usualy the onza cranks dont find out and let the people know could be a good pair of cranks:)

they look almost the same, i would guess they probably are onza usualy copy someone else

Think about what your saying, meta bikes has only just been started up so onza couldnt of copied from them and it is the oposite it will have been meta copying.

Yeah they look the same but there could be differences such as material used but i would just get the onza ones.

i would guess they probably are onza usualy copy someone else and put the onza logo on, i would get a set if they come im 170mm but usualy the onza cranks dont find out and let the people know could be a good pair of cranks:)

Excuse me, we have been fitting these cranks for 18 months now and Onzaboy Mark will confirm that he was using the prototype almost a couple of years ago. I think you will find that Meta bikes was only established this year. A typical comment without any true basis.

Excuse me, we have been fitting these cranks for 18 months now and Onzaboy Mark will confirm that he was using the prototype almost a couple of years ago. I think you will find that Meta bikes was only established this year. A typical comment without any true basis.

As Mike said, they have been used on Onzas for a while.

The Meta cranks are the same basis but have subtle yet important differences - they come with a bashguard supplied, and they also have a splined steel crank insert. The polished finish is also more expensive at manufacture I believe.

Adam

the cranks do look simular, the info i know on the meta cranks is:

-They have a polished finish.

-They have a steel replaceable pedal insert

-They have a brass sleve which the freewheel screws onto (incase you strip the threads...just change the sleeve)

-They come with anice cnc bash

Mine seem really well made and look pretty nice too.

Most of the parts that come on bikes now is out of a catalogue maybe with a few changes. Take your pic dude, the meta cranks do have some important differences that could save you buying a new set one day, also the polished finish wont show the scratches so much.

Edited by hugh_b

Incidentally ours also comes with the bash guard.

That's good, I assume these are available through Moore Large at the same retail price?

Another difference I have remembered is the bottom bracket fitting - square taper on the Onza and ISIS on the Meta cranks.

That's good, I assume these are available through Moore Large at the same retail price?

Moore Large do not have them at the moment although they can get them from us. We brought them in some time ago to have available for warranty /half price etc. ML of course set their own prices and we can only guide them but they will be getting them in their next parts order. You can get them from us to sell at that price and I wouldn't anticipate ML's price will be a million miles out.

I would say here to everyone however that next year is going to see some major price increases in parts. We are just speccing next years bikes and have had Maxxis and Kendas pricelists starting January. Prices are up an average of 30%.

I would say here to everyone however that next year is going to see some major price increases in parts. We are just speccing next years bikes and have had Maxxis and Kendas pricelists starting January. Prices are up an average of 30%.

ouch! how come their prices are going up? bad sales this year?

looks like i'll be buying some tyres soon, lol. is it right that maxxis make try-alls for them? so does this mean an increase in try-alls already high prices?

Will

Why?!

Is that just Maxxis/Kenda or is it other brands too?

Why?!

Is that just Maxxis/Kenda or is it other brands too?

It will apply to all brands and its due mainly to massive increases in costs of raw materials. Aluminium prices have been rocketing all year and the only reason these haven't crept through is because the pound has been going up against the dollar. That is not going to protect against these tyre price increases however, but they probably won't filter through to the after market till April or May time.

Excuse me, we have been fitting these cranks for 18 months now and Onzaboy Mark will confirm that he was using the prototype almost a couple of years ago.

Truth! I went to these from the Urban Legends to try them out, and assumed that as they were going on the T-Pro and were just standard square taper cranks they'd be balls, but they're actually suprisingly good! No noticeable flex or anything like that. Think they're reasonably light too, and the bashring it comes with is really nice as well. Definitely a step up from the Muscleman cranks they had on their lower-end bikes previously, IMO.

These price increases won't start filtering through till April/May time. These changes will not alter our bike prices until then ( other than T-Pros which are now completely sold out probably until at least May). The tyre price increases are ones which we have been notified about as a bike manufacturer who fits their tyres and are the original equipment supply prices. Final tyre RETAIL prices will be very much dependant on the individual importer and distributor and will also be affected by existing stock levels.