Road Trip Around Europe!

Phatmike

Hey guys.

I'm planning a road trip around europe this year, & thought people might be interested! I'll be taking my bike, and my camera, so the plan is to just ride one hell of a lot, and take many many photos. :)

roadtripov5.png

That's a very rough outline of the route I intend on going. (Please note I do intend on touring Slovenia and Croatia, but googlemaps doesn't allow it. :S)

I'm going to be leaving in the middle of March, which'll give me a week or two to get down to & spend time in Paris, before a week at Koxx Days! :D

From there will probably drive down the french coast, beaching it up, and pimping it out in Bordeaux. Will spend some time in Madrid & Barcelona (would love some info about riding in Spain - I'm sure Pat & Bessel & Co will be able to fill me in soon!), before continuing east back into Marseille, and spending a while with my step brother in Nice.

Will probably venture into Italy, but don't really plan on staying for very long, unless something interesting comes up!

Then plan on spending a while in Slovenia, and catch up with all the guys out there again, no doubt drinking plenty of Lasko & playing Darts. :P Then over into Croatia to see some cool guys I've not seen in a while.

Depending if there's anything on (I know there've been some events in the past), I may go and spend some time in Slovakia, would be a cool place to visit, before returning west into Germany. Should be lots of interesting places to ride & things to see there, and will certainly (if the Scirocco isn't dead by this point :P) have a day or two at the Nurburgring.

Then (naturally) will go up to Amsterdam, purely because I've never been & should be a really interesting experience *cough cough*. :)

So that's the plan! Will be able to sleep in the car, but also will be staying in hostels, hopefully with as many riders as possible, and also with various family & friends I've got dotted around the place! Not sure exactly, but plan on going for 2-3 months.

Anyone got any thoughts? Done anything similar and have any advice?

I'd love to know if there are any interesting events on that would be worth me going.

And more importantly, is anyone else up for it!

Mike.

4,385 miles. You must have a reliable car?

For comedy value, do it in a real shitpiece and make millions of £ by selling the video.

scirocco2sj0.jpg

'88 VW Scirocco.

Have covered 10k in it since I got it in July, only thing it needed was a new starter motor & head gasket when I first got it. Apart from new filters, oil & fluids every once in a while it's not let me down once. :) Old VW's ftw.

Joe - game on mate. :P

If I have the money, and if I pass my test on Monday..I might be up for this.

Depending on who I can get to come with.

I would so be up for this, but I can't afford the time off college!

Let's just go and meet them at Koxxdays Dan. :P

Sounds like an awesome plan Mike. You will have a great time!

Travelling around Europe is overlooked by most UK people, its right there and instead we go to Thailand/Australia/New Zealand, in turn all the Aussies and Kiwi's come over to Europe :P

3 months should be enough time but it might be an idea just to go with the flow and take as long as it takes. Also have more money than you think you need saved in your account just in case! Oh, and and get a credit card for back up!

Your going to save a shed load of money by camping and sleeping in the car, you can also live off of Pasta/Pesto/Tuna but you will get fed up with it quickly. For hostels use hostelworld.com and hostelz.com to get reviews and make bookings as you go.

Would love to join you but a big trip around Europe riding the trials bike isn't my thing, I would be happier going around without a bike.

Do Tartybikes deliver to Europe? :lol:

Yea they do

@Michael

Are you going to Amsterdam to actually ride there?

Because it seemed like you just went there to have a look around the city.

Me and a friend live 20min away from Amsterdam so I guess we could come.

I'm a pretty crappy rider though :P

woooow mike you mad man!

sounds like an utter beast of a trip and i wish i could come :(

have a good un! and maybe invest in some of that tyre inflator/fixer in a can. if you know the stuff im on about, can see it being handy on a trip like that!

where are u getting the fundage for all this anyways man, i can see the vw being that economical :P i wish i could take a few months off :(

lmao, I dont think so somehow. Mike wont be staying in the ritz everynight haha.

HAHA I've just realised the MASSIVE mistake I made, thought it was quite alot when I put it down but didn't think about it lmao.

I'm just gunna leave it instead of making stupid guesses...

How much would this cost?

Reckon if I allow around £10-15 per day for food drink + accomodation on average, that's near enough a grand. 5000 miles in petrol will be less than £600. + Whatever else I'll need, reckon £2,500 should cover the whole lot. :)

3 months should be enough time but it might be an idea just to go with the flow and take as long as it takes. Also have more money than you think you need saved in your account just in case! Oh, and and get a credit card for back up!

Yup, just intend on going and see how long it all takes - will lay out some dates for events etc as they arrive, but the most part I'll just see how it goes! :)

Your going to save a shed load of money by camping and sleeping in the car, you can also live off of Pasta/Pesto/Tuna but you will get fed up with it quickly. For hostels use hostelworld.com and hostelz.com to get reviews and make bookings as you go.

Yup, tuna, pasta and peas will be my main food source! :) Cheers for the links - will need a list of all the hostels so I can stay as cheap as possible when I don't fancy sleeping in the car, and don't have some randomer to stay with. :P

Sounds absolutely awesome!

Only thing I would say is take atleast a spare bike worths of parts as I'm sure so many things will get destroyed!

Phil

Yup, many tubes, forks, rims, spokes, bars, grips, tyres, pads, plus oil, filters, belts etc for the car will be taken on board! Luckily Tartybikes/Trials-UK will deliver to europe within a couple of days, so should I need something I shouldn't be too long without it. :)

Yea they do

@Michael

Are you going to Amsterdam to actually ride there?

Because it seemed like you just went there to have a look around the city.

Me and a friend live 20min away from Amsterdam so I guess we could come.

I'm a pretty crappy rider though :P

Yeah damn right I'm up for riding Amsterdam! Hopefully will be staying there for a while, depending on how I like it.

have a good un! and maybe invest in some of that tyre inflator/fixer in a can. if you know the stuff im on about, can see it being handy on a trip like that!

where are u getting the fundage for all this anyways man, i can see the vw being that economical :P i wish i could take a few months off :(

Haha, yeah, will keep a can of tyre weld on board, sadly the spare wheel has to be kicked out due to the housing for the amps in my new install:

wellaj2.jpg

well2qs8.jpg

Which is half way through being completed..

Will be using a little bit of cash I've saved up so far, plus should be working between now and then, plus some donations from mother + father. :P

The VW's not too bad actually, have averaged 42mpg over the last few tanks, so get above that on the motorways! (Maybe less on the autobahns :- ) Not bad for a 20 yr old 1.8i engine haha.

Mike.

You know you need a spare wheel BY LAW on the continent? And 1st aid kit, spare bulb etc...The tyre laws are different too.

How old are you? You cant drive unless you have 2 years driving experience or 21 ( I THINK)

Ive done loads of road trips...round the UK and Europe. Your best bet food wise is to NOT buy anything at restaurants, take aways etc, but do a mega food shop at Tesco's before and cook your own grub en-route.

Etap rooms are ok at 30 euro's a night, and I think there is a cheaper option where you share a shower with other guests.

That £600 fuel....Id round that up some...to nearer a grand.

Good luck though, and I hope it goes well :)

You know you need a spare wheel BY LAW on the continent? And 1st aid kit, spare bulb etc...The tyre laws are different too.

How old are you? You cant drive unless you have 2 years driving experience or 21 ( I THINK)

Ive done loads of road trips...round the UK and Europe. Your best bet food wise is to NOT buy anything at restaurants, take aways etc, but do a mega food shop at Tesco's before and cook your own grub en-route.

Etap rooms are ok at 30 euro's a night, and I think there is a cheaper option where you share a shower with other guests.

That £600 fuel....Id round that up some...to nearer a grand.

Good luck though, and I hope it goes well :)

Not so sure about the spare tyre law - I know a lot of manufacturers, such as BMW + Fiat + Others don't include a spare tyre in alot of their cars now, just some tyreweld (equivalent) and a compressor.. But yeah, spare bulbs, warning triangle etc will be carried!

Most european countries the minimum age is 18, so should be alright in that respect. :)

Basic route looks under 4,500 miles, but even 5000 miles @ 35mpg @ £1 a litre will only be £648, so bearing in mind I should be covering less miles, be more efficient, and cheaper petrol costs, reckon £600 should cover it. :P 4,300 miles @ 43mpg @ 95p/L will be around £430. :)

Cheeers,

You should hit Dubrovnik in croatia, i went there a few years back, not biking obvioulsy but whenever i go abroad i always seem to notice lines, and there was some sweet ones. Sounds like a sweet plan though. Id love to do it if i didnt have work and uni.

let me know when you get to madrid, i´m living there at the moment and am taking my bike back out tomorrow so i´ll be able to take you round and introduce you to some local riders. there´s usually a few people staying in my flat at any given time, but if there´s space you´d be more than welcome to crash there for a couple of nights aswell.

good luck!

I would definitly go as i am 18 now, and most EU countries allow drivers over 18 to drive, with a permit that is like £5.

But i think you do it in the school summer holidays where people like me don't have to get time off important time off their a levels and even uni students. My holidays in the summer are about 6 weeks.

JK