Food You Eat...

MadManMike

Up until recently I've been shovelling food in like there's no tomorrow.

They're now doing the whole GDA thing on packaging (Guideline Daily Amount) and quite frankly it worries me now.

I just went to the kitchen, got my stash of 10p Tesco noodles (Add chilli powder and top with Cheese...) and prepared to open the usual 2-pack snack. I looked, merely out of interest, at the GDA section of the packets - Saturates: (The bad fat that is really not nice to have inside your body) 50%! My usual two packet snack is my entire days worth of Saturates. 100%!!

So I look at other things in the kitchen, working out roughly what I eat daily...

It turns out that on Saturates alone I am taking in 300% - I'm eating three days worth every day. Three weeks worth in one week.

I looked on the packaging of a Tesco Macaroni Cheese (The Tesco Express version, not main store version) and that alone is 121% of your daily Saturates.

So, three questions:

Firstly how the hell can they sell something that instantly puts you over your guideline amount?

Secondly are you worried about it and do you watch what you eat?

Finally is this just scaremongering to make you watch what you eat? I get the feeling it may just be a way of making you eat less rubbish and really it's nowhere near what is "safe" to consume daily.

I ride so much that what i eat doesn't really bother me, as it all just gets burnt off anyway.

Having said that i tend to cook myself pretty wholesome stuff from scratch, and barely ever eat readymeals.

I find some stuff is actually cheaper if you don't really mind what you eat. I buy Sainsburys Taste The Difference mince because its cheaper than the 'Be Good To Yourself' stuff.

i often wonder to myself what the point is in having food so close to or over 100% of the margin

but what annoys me is how long food lasts. For e.g, if i happen to eat a whole five-pack of mars bars, this will keep me unhungry for maybe 45mins, and yet it's over the GDA for my calories

>(

but most of the time, i dont think about it and eat whatever i fancy at that moment in time, relaxing with the knowledge that it's the riding to college and around and about that prevents me from being a fat b*****d

There was a programme on this the other day, half the time the companies are just making it up and arent accurate, waitrose stuff sometimes coming out less healthy than tesco value things, even though it claimed to be healthy! I dont really watch what i eat, or care, im not overweight and im certainly not unhealthy.

I sorta worry about it but the thing is once I pick up the food I just have to eat it. Seriously I have no self disaplin, I eat SO much every day now, sorta since xmas Iv just eaten loads.

Im pretty worried now though, really attempting to cut back on greasy foods as spots have started to proper rape my face which makes me feel bad about myself :( So I really do want to do everything I can to help them f**k right off. So less grease for me- grease blocks pores

Ive started to become concious abotu what i eat, i want to loose a little weight and just get generally fitter as the last year i was a lazy bugger and put weight on. But i really want to become a much more healthier person and have starting drinking water all the time and found it stops you wanting to snack just by drinking water. And ive starting eating different things and ive found it actually tastes better than the usual crap i have.

Ive started to become concious abotu what i eat, i want to loose a little weight and just get generally fitter as the last year i was a lazy bugger and put weight on. But i really want to become a much more healthier person and have starting drinking water all the time and found it stops you wanting to snack just by drinking water. And ive starting eating different things and ive found it actually tastes better than the usual crap i have.

I tried the water thing and found myself still gulping down the coke and eating the chocolate, microwave meal for dinner and crisps in front of the telly in the evening. It's worrying because that's not me, I never used to watch TV or eat this much crap.

I guess winter has a part in all this as I don't want to go out in this weather but still it's worrying and I can't seem to change myself.

I ride so much that what i eat doesn't really bother me, as it all just gets burnt off anyway.

Having said that i tend to cook myself pretty wholesome stuff from scratch, and barely ever eat readymeals.

I find some stuff is actually cheaper if you don't really mind what you eat. I buy Sainsburys Taste The Difference mince because its cheaper than the 'Be Good To Yourself' stuff.

Thats exactly how I used to feel. I knew/know I eat complete crap, but I figured with all the riding I did, it didn't matter.

But now that I havent rode for about 4 months, have been smoking between 20 to 40 a day, and drive to uni, and order takeaway a lot, I'm pretty fooking terrified. I went and bought some books on healthy eating and stuff, and I'd really like to start doing Yoga. I've got too much going on at the moment though to conentrate on quitting smoking and eating properly, which is doing my head in.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

This kinda shit would never have bothered me when I was about 18, but now I know for a fact I will stick on weight the minute I eat shit. I do love the odd KFC etc but I also love vegetables and fresh foods. If you dont llike that kinda stuff then basically your screwed. I always tend to look down on people who are fussy or just eat shite, theres no need in this modern day to have such a basic pallete. Not saying thats you btw. Are these individual person snacks? Or are they intended for more than one person? to be honest anything with cheese in is gonna be bad for you. I love cheese :( I could eat different cheeses on crackers all day long. Basically, if it comes in a packet, theres too much salt, saturated fat and sugar in it whatever it is!!! Fresh food all the way

I'll stick in a quick contribution here. (this is only my opinion).

Basically, eventually, we're all going to die. So, I think, why eat rabbit food and cardboard tasting stuff with no calories in it? You'll only get old and start urinating on yourself. I'd rather eat tasty, fattening stuff that I like and die sooner (so they say).

Boumsong.

I used to have that opinion, but lately I've started thinking about it. I don't fancy a heart attack at 39.

The RDA is a bit ott if you ask me, just eat what you want, but try to keep healthy.

We now try to stick to the butty bar instead of going to Greggs or Maccy Ds, it's simple stuff like that that makes the difference.

I don't really worry about it at all. Mainly because i know i eat really healthy. I'm a vegitarian which although could be argued as not being healthy in itself it certainly keeps me away from McDonalds etc and i still eat good fish alot to get the protein in.

Cook alot of meals from scratch. Straight up love salads etc. Don't eat alot of chocolate/sweets. Rarely have pizzas and barely ever the proper greasy fast food type ones. Eat alot of organic an fresh stuff.

S'alll good :) Somehow i still put on a belly though, but i think that's more full of beer.

I am 11.3 stone, I have quite a lot of body fat if I'm honest.

It's coming off though, my weight is going down, and my biceps are going up with the 90 curls 3 times a week I'm doing, so my weight is staying the same pretty much.

I don't really worry about it at all. Mainly because i know i eat really healthy. I'm a vegitarian which although could be argued as not being healthy in itself it certainly keeps me away from McDonalds etc and i still eat good fish alot to get the protein in.

Cook alot of meals from scratch. Straight up love salads etc. Don't eat alot of chocolate/sweets. Rarely have pizzas and barely ever the proper greasy fast food type ones. Eat alot of organic an fresh stuff.

S'alll good :) Somehow i still put on a belly though, but i think that's more full of beer.

am a vegi aswell , but i wont have anything tested on animals soo.. junk food like pringles doritos are out of the window, wont have redbull as its got taurine init (ox bile) so my diet consists of salads frui and quorn mainly and the odd pints on a night out,

rda means nothing really unless it's your own rda. aslong as you use the calories up you can eat alot of them some athletes will consume 12000-16000 a day if they are working hard for sustained periods of time in cold conditions. I eat around about 4000-5000 which twice the rda but i use them up and I don't put on or lose weight so I'm not doing too much damage but you have to be careful where you get your calories from eg it's better to have a banana than a dairy milk but you'll know that already.