Front Qr Skewers And Disk Brakes...

forteh

Just rebuilt my trials bike with N-wood's old hifi frame and went for the first ride in 2-3 years last night :)

Its all good - my back, legs, arms, shoulders and hands are now all hurting me but its a good hurt :D

Quick question though, thenever I use the front disk (hope trial) the front wheel shifts in the drop outs due to torque reaction and then causes the disk to scuff the pads. It used to do it a bit before with my old hope mini (not mono) but with the more powerful trials brake its happening all the time.

The hub is hope xc, forks are onza fly guys and its a deore skewer tightened up as much as possible - no matter what I do it moves :(

Also got some hope skewers but theyre even worse than the shimano ones :o

Any suggestions? :)

Maybe the cones (think thats what they're called) are loose? - Kind of like bolts that hold the hub together.

You may need a cone spanner to tighten them.

No cones on a hope xc, its a sealed bearing hub. Its the skewer not gripping the dropouts :(

1st thing I would check are the drop outs on the forks.

Are the streched, damaged ect.

Then have a look on the Hub, of the mounting faces, around the axle, there should be a serrated edge to grip the forks, if thats worn away it wont help matters.

Check the same on the Skewer, make sure its not over streched, and the mounting faces still have the serrated edges on them.

Also dont over tighten the skewer.

I would advise Using Cheaper Shimano Skewers, they seem to be stronger and give better grip with lower torque on the Screw

1 more simple thing, make sure everything is clean and dry.

1st thing I would check are the drop outs on the forks.

Are the streched, damaged ect.

Then have a look on the Hub, of the mounting faces, around the axle, there should be a serrated edge to grip the forks, if thats worn away it wont help matters.

Check the same on the Skewer, make sure its not over streched, and the mounting faces still have the serrated edges on them.

Also dont over tighten the skewer.

I would advise Using Cheaper Shimano Skewers, they seem to be stronger and give better grip with lower torque on the Screw

1 more simple thing, make sure everything is clean and dry.

Theyre the cheaper shimano skewers and the hub has a serrated ring on there, the serrations on the skewer may have worn a bit flat although theyre not particularly old/used. The faces of the dropouts are smooth though, suspect this may be the cause of the problem - might try attacking them with a grinder :D

Are you positive it is the hub moving and not the caliper, pads in the caliper or the caliper mount bolts loose?

Also check the rotor is mounted tight?

Are your headset, bars and maybe even grips tight? I know it all sounds stupid but I’ve seen plenty of tales where people have loose wheel bearings where no matter how tight they are they still rattle and it was actually a loose headset and vice versa... you see where I'm getting at?

Can you force the wheel to move by hitting down on your wheel with your fist or by generally pulling and twisting it around.....

If you can try a new skewer of any type - the only thing I can think of is the skewer is dodgy in some way. You are using a front one not a rear?

Sorry I dont mean to make you look stupid but even the best of us get caught out by the simplest things.

Are you positive it is the hub moving and not the caliper, pads in the caliper or the caliper mount bolts loose?

Also check the rotor is mounted tight?

Are your headset, bars and maybe even grips tight? I know it all sounds stupid but I’ve seen plenty of tales where people have loose wheel bearings where no matter how tight they are they still rattle and it was actually a loose headset and vice versa... you see where I'm getting at?

Can you force the wheel to move by hitting down on your wheel with your fist or by generally pulling and twisting it around.....

If you can try a new skewer of any type - the only thing I can think of is the skewer is dodgy in some way. You are using a front one not a rear?

Sorry I dont mean to make you look stupid but even the best of us get caught out by the simplest things.

Its the skewer slipping, the wheel comes out of centre compared to the fork crown ;) Undo the skewer, reseat the wheel and its back in the middle.

There are no rattles or odd noises other than the disk scuffing on the pads.

Its a front shimano skewer, the front hope one Ive got is worse :D

Anyone do a bolt up solution for hope xc hubs?

Edited by forteh

I decided to tell my front hub problems where to go by purchasing a set of the bolt-up skewers such as the ones you can get from CRC. You lose the "Function" of the QR, but if you've got a 5mm you're good to go. They hold the wheel in place way, way better, and make your bike safer to lock up, should you need to.

Check the rotar bolts are tightend up.The ones on my dirt jump bike are always comeing loose giveing the same symptoms as you gave

Loose rotor bolts wouldn't make the wheel look out of alignment compared to the crown (Y)

I decided to tell my front hub problems where to go by purchasing a set of the bolt-up skewers such as the ones you can get from CRC. You lose the "Function" of the QR, but if you've got a 5mm you're good to go. They hold the wheel in place way, way better, and make your bike safer to lock up, should you need to.

Is the right answer thank you :D

Something like these?

Or should I waste 22 quid and save 80g off me bike?:D

That was the set I had, yeah. I used the front on my mod, the rear one was put to use on my friend's stock, and the seat-clamp one is on my fixie :P

I assume you mean the cheap steel ones not the expensive ti ones :D

Not got funbolts on my king rear so will bolt that up solid aswell :)

Make damned sure you get the 5mm allen key headed skewers though. 4mm head ones can't be tightened enough to hold the wheels on (Based on a friend of mine who used a 4mm set of skewers and had his back wheel shift out of place on hard landings regularly, a problem which almost completely disappeared when he changed to 5mm head skewers)... I used 5mm head skewers on my last bike for years with no problems at all. My current bike has Echo hubs, so no skewers at all.