Revision

dan_addison

hah, dont revise for gcses

naughty naughty (N) , bad influence!

If it helps, i sometimes remove my network usb stick, chuck it somewhere unknown, blast on some music via headphones/headset and im off. This helps but i still get destracted. Some people prefer to revise/work in school rather than at home or vicer versa but i cant do neither :unsure:

Edited by Sonny Clarke

nah, i did abit, no where near as nmuch as everyone else, about an hour-2 for each subject, did pretty well, if i did the papers again now, they would seem an absolute doss compared to a-levels. the step up is huge, and they basically reteach everything at college you ever learned at school in about 3 lessons

Simple rules.. dont learn shit you dont need.

This applies mostly to university however but i guesse gcse's will be just the same. Simple steps to good grade:

1. Source as many past exam papers as you can

2. Look at the papers and notice the trends. Meaning.. question 1 is usually on this part of the subject.. question 2 usually asks a part from this section of maths.. etc. When you are uni its even more so like that.. the exam questions are based on topics you learn.. so you know what topic areas to look at what to not really bother with.

3. Learn those areas you have found that it asks... theres so many similarities in exams.. like you may notice every other year the same type of question comes up.. etc.. its all about looking for the trends and studying for those.

4. If you cant straight out do the exam question, get your text book and look at the area it is asking about and read it through once, write out your own summarised version of what you just read and from now on only look at the summary you made.. once again your cutting out the bollocks that academics seem to keep puting in. You want to extract raw facts from the jumble of words/calculations in text books. In maths for example you want to be learning the method.. so write a step by step guide on the method to get the answer.. this is then what you look at when your stuck.. you just follow the simple procedure u laid out and it all becomes so much easier since you can apply it to any question. For stuff like english and history.. a whole page of text can be broken down in to smalller bullet points which you learn u then just pad between them during the exam to fill it out (incidently most marking schemes are just a list of bullet points and they look for these answers within your mass of text e.g. 8 mark question = 8 points or 4 points + 4 for explination of each.. so making your own bullet pointed notes means your going to match the examiners answers 9 times outta 10)

Worked for me so far anyways... theres no need for bollocks mind maps and all this shite.. in my experience they dont work. Breaking things down in to smaller sections and bulletpointed lists however does. Step by step guides to do calculations turn you in to a robot and maths becomes a pile of piss.

Edited by Spacemunkee

Unfortunatly for my GCSE's it was like the warmest summer ever, so spent it on the beach swimming / diving in. Camping nights out, house partys pubs.... was mint! For one of my exams we all got pissed and slept in the field behind our school and then staggered in and sat the test! Got 3A's and 8B's. But i think i could have done better

GCSE's matter a lot. Well in my experience they do. I had a friend who was in a few of my GCSE classes and is in my 6th form now. He didn't revise at all and was lazy when it come to coursework, he come out with like 3 GCSE C grade and aboves. I come out with like 7, and I'm not the brightest student, so I worked quite hard for that.

Currently, although he always wanted to run his own business, he's doing a load of bollocks BTEC business course, which he's way behind in, due to laziness, and he's resitting maths and english at GCSE, which he's just failed at his second attempt.

In todays world, a LOT of companies look on experience over academic stuff, however, having academic stuff there is always something to fall back on.

Don't be lazy, don't use excuses, just knuckle down and come out of the results day knowing you did your best. At the end of the day, it's all down to hard work.

Good luck.

I would recommend revising, i didnt revise at all and got C's and B's at gcse, went off to college then kinda thought, well i better revise otherwise theres kinda no point me going to college if im just planning on getting shitty grades at the end of it and now im getting A's and B's all round.

Just look at it like this, after your gcse's thats it, you dont have to revise for school exams ever again (unless you go to college) so why not just put in the effort then do whatever the hell you want afterwards, rather than looking back and thinking ahh shit i wish i had actually bothered revising.

As for how to revise, each to there own really, i just write up all my notes in a summary in the form of questions and answers which i get someone to read back to me, where they ask the questions i give the answers and thats it.

Edited by Bondy

Only you know how much revision you need to do to achieve what you want.

If you're a dumbass then obvioulsy you'd better start working your bollocks off (Y) Otherwise you'll be working in retail or similar all your life.

Simpsonman obviously has some brains, however I'll bet not all his friends did as well as him :rolleyes: