How Much Can You Strip A Car

Synergy

ok well we regurarly go to a drag strip at crail, our mates are getting low 16s high 15s for quarter mile (not bad for 1.3 starlet turbo and a 1.6 16v honda crx.

anyway we have been given a seat toleadeo 2 litre sport.

just wondering what all can we take out, were planning rear seats carpets door trims. what else could we do?

Depends how seriously your want to strip the car down I suppose. Don't forget the spare wheel + jack and that crap at the back, can probably do without headrests and also the CD player/radio can go. Good luck!

me too. :P strip them out and get a single harness in there.

to be honest I wouldn't go too mental if you're going to put it back to normal afterwards probs just take out seats and carpets, spare wheel and tools maybe air con and stuff like that as long as it's fairly easy to put back.

Its not what you can remove and still drive the car... as in theory everything can come out apart from drivers seat, steering wheel, clocks and gearstick... its what you can remove that wont be a complete pain in the ass, and take ages to put back in. With stripping you get to a point where you're saving less and less weight each time you take another bit out.

Go for passenger seat, rear seats all unused seat belts and rear plastic/ speakers (leave front door cards in) also spare wheel/ jack/ boot floor and parcel shelf etc etc. No point doing headlining, as you wont get it back up. Carpet should come in two bits, front and rear sections. Will have sound deadening under it too, this all weighs a fair chunk. Will need both seats out and a bit of patience to get it in and out neatly... up to you if you want to go that far.

Leave the headrests, lol at that suggestion, they dont weigh much and do more good protecting your head.

Im guessing you dont want to spend any money on making the car lighter, just remove bits you already have?

Pm me if need be.

:blink:

Is this not a bit self explanatory? STRIP IT !

Nothing left :) Rear view mirror (not needed for an MOT :)) cd players, Speakers, Door cards, Steering shrowd, All the head rests, glove box cover/door, pedal rubbers....

everything from the boot, and all the soundproofing/unnecessary shit from the engine bay.

that shouls save what, 3 lb's ? :D

Edit - *you can tell i'm a banger racer !

Edited by ✠Pashley26✠

The question of stripping is very erm odd in my eyes!

i have seen people strip out the rear seats and sound deadeing but then leave in the whole front lot like the carpets dash doorcards ect, then stick a set of subs in the back.... In my honest opinon, if you want to strip, get the whole lot out, dont do it half hartedly!

Take out the dash, carpets, rear seats, sound deadening, quater pannels, head lining, pasanger seat, plasic shrouds, car audio, power steering, air conditioning, cruise control, ABS the whole lot! you arent going to save that much weight by just removing the rear seats and carpet even the rear mirrior like said above!

Also in my opinion if you want to use your car for daily driving do not strip it out! A very good mate stripped out his S14 even cut out the metal arches and put overfenders on and christ, it was SOOOOOOO loud!

But it makes you feel like a proper racing driver :giggle:

Either do it all or not at all!

Edited by Radfax

the point of the thread is we got a car for free, its not in best of condition but we thought it would be fun to strip it al out for crail, its not a case of yeah back seats out put some subs in. its a case of what comes out will be going back in over a few weeks then the car will be done up to sell on,

the car we were gona go in is getting chipped so instead of missing the crail day we thought we would use this for a luagh and try and suprise as many people as possible.

its just meant for fun its not a case of i need it all out im guna beat lewis hamilton.

JUST FUN

which im sure a few of you have done things for.

the trials forum is getting so over opinionated and over critical to ppls veiws and opinions, and it starting to piss me off. it used to be a brilliant site but im fidning as months go on in not botherd about going on and seeing new posts. maybe its me maybe its not.

Edited by Synergy

Reading some of the above posts, i think im the only one that read what you were asking...

Abs, air con, sunroof etc... lol good luck to the guys that want to remove and reinstall that easily.

yeah man cheers for your help :)

the point of the thread is we got a car for free, its not in best of condition but we thought it would be fun to strip it al out for crail, its not a case of yeah back seats out put some subs in. its a case of what comes out will be going back in over a few weeks then the car will be done up to sell on,

i wasnt saying you should do that... i was saying it is pointless doing that and i dont understand why "some" people do! :S

You can take the whole lot of the insides out and get it back in.

rear seats pop out

carpet pulls up

rear quater pannels pop out

dash steering shroud and all of that palastic tat pulls of simple enough

i would leave the sound deadning crap down because it costs money to replace

door cards come of simple enough

Rip out the audio. simple enough to do and will save you a fair amount!

you can run a car down the strip with no bonnet or bumpers cant you?

If so take off the bonnet, wings, bumpers, side mirriors ect

All simple enough to remove and replace! hardest bit will be the dash

better reply?

i wasnt saying you should do that... i was saying it is pointless doing that and i dont understand why "some" people do! :S

You can take the whole lot of the insides out and get it back in.

rear seats pop out

carpet pulls up

rear quater pannels pop out

dash steering shroud and all of that palastic tat pulls of simple enough

i would leave the sound deadning crap down because it costs money to replace

door cards come of simple enough

Rip out the audio. simple enough to do and will save you a fair amount!

you can run a car down the strip with no bonnet or bumpers cant you?

If so take off the bonnet, wings, bumpers, side mirriors ect

All simple enough to remove and replace! hardest bit will be the dash

better reply?

i wasnt moaning at you directly mate but thankyou for taking time to reply :)

oh no no i know you wasnt digging mate!

I was in the wrong i completely mis understood the question you asked and grabbed the chance to babble about cars!

but yeh all of that i listed can be easily removed and replaced.

good luck and get somephotos up!