Product Testing

Barbara Logan-Price

Hi

I was thinking don't know if this has been asked before but does Deng (gu,adamant,zoo,czar) actually test his products there have been a few riders in the UK sponsored by him but you never see them on prototype frames.

Doesn't that say alot about him caring if his products are high quality or just crap when you have company's like Monty,Koxx,Onza who test there frames for months before even considering putting it into production.

It sounds to me like he just shoves 2kg of cnc on his frames and hope they are strong ?

Alex

Hi

I was thinking don't know if this has been asked before but does Deng (gu,adamant,zoo,czar) actually test his products there have been a few riders in the UK sponsored by him but you never see them on prototype frames.

Doesn't that say alot about him caring if his products are high quality or just crap when you have company's like Monty,Koxx,Onza who test there frames for months before even considering putting it into production.

It sounds to me like he just shoves 2kg of cnc on his frames and hope they are strong ?

Alex

If I had a company that manufactured parts in China, I wouldn't send them to England to test them. It sounds to me like you don't understand how a business should work.

Jon

ive cracked echo forks and frame within a month

echo parts are shit

yeah but you didn't run a booster on your frame that's why it cracked. As for the forks you might just be unlucky, I've had my echo pure forks for over a year and i weigh about 94kg

Edited by kid creole

We need more riders, which will result in more money being invested from newer companies and then we will get decent parts. But untill then we will have to deal with products that really don't cut it.

If there were perfect products out there, why would they ever need replacing? I suspect the companies are happy enough to produce the parts as they are. Given the nature of trials, I'd treat almost everything on my bike as a consumable.

Jon

its quite bad that i dont expect anything on my bike to last me more than a year at most. do we ever see any deng protos at all, i mean even pics floating around on the net? i assume he just does finite element analysis and thinks thats sufficient.

If there were perfect products out there, why would they ever need replacing? I suspect the companies are happy enough to produce the parts as they are. Given the nature of trials, I'd treat almost everything on my bike as a consumable.

Jon

Oh it's not that. Having to replace rims, bearings and frames etc is standard and i don't mind having to replace what i've used. It's just parts that clearly could be improved. For example screw on sprockets? What's up with that. They are hardly replace-able. The Echo splined fixed hubs are great, but i'm not a fan of the axles being an annoying size. Also screw on cranks, a Middleburn style crank would be better, allowing us to change the cog when we felt the need to. Also it allows us to run UCI bash's even though some of us are to heavy to run them. As we could change the bash once it's bent. I think Viz definetly make the best forks out there at the moment, but no rear Magura mounting is the downfall. Our range of bars isn't to my taste either. The choice isn't that great when you start comparing the geo of them all.

well every time i have had something deng it is generaly good, but forks will snap eventualy as they have so much stress put on them ie bump's, hook's, front gap's etc they are used alot so some might last ages and others dont you cnt make everything un-brakeable and deng forks are under £100 for a reason if you want stronger forks pay more for the viz ones (and the same goes for most things)

well every time i have had something deng it is generaly good, but forks will snap eventualy as they have so much stress put on them ie bump's, hook's, front gap's etc they are used alot so some might last ages and others dont you cnt make everything un-brakeable and deng forks are under £100 for a reason if you want stronger forks pay more for the viz ones (and the same goes for most things)

Great info on Deng forks on this site

I agree its odd that there are never any protos out there but most of the big companies like monty and koxx make protos to see if their pro riders will like them, not to test for strength.

Deng probably has so man computer models and digital tests run on his frames that eh bairly needs to test them out.

That said im sure there are at least 1 or 2 protos built for the chinese riders to test a little.

In terms or breakage, i like my stuff to last at least 2 years, i mean im not a super smooth rider but i dont wanna have my rims taco everytime i botch a dropgap.

There are things like bearings and spokes and stuff that i dont mind having to replace once a season but i think if you spend 500 or more on a frame then it should last you for a good little while.

I don't reckon there needs to be much R&D on most of the ECHO/GU etc. products as they're pretty much perfect for

what they've been designed for. They seem to have got it right in terms of frame strength and all that and dont see why

they would need many protos, there's not much new developments which would need them either considering all his frames

from the last years have been near identical.

to be honest if you asked some chinse riders to find images of onza protos they might stuggle a bit.

i mean there was a thread on here a while ago asking if some one had some pics of them becasue he couldnt find them anywhere on the net.

im sure he does make protos i think ever bike company has to because you dont know what something is going to be like to ride when its built up by computer test, becasue they might say its strong but then once its built up it could feel horrible to ride due to something being just slightly off.

nothing wrong with echo. well old echos, my 2004 control is on its last legs. cracked on both 4-bolt mounts.

But owners so far.

Who knows how many before that!!

Soon_to_be

Me

Luke Rainbird

Me

Its had a good time though.

all though new bike seem to crack and what not. different material??

koxx frames get put though loads of prototyping or whatever, and i dont think ive ever seen a koxx frame which hasnt snapped, were as deng doesnt prototype (much?) and seems hardly any of them die often really :S, but meh, depends if your botherd about the weight of ur bike or if ud rather just build muscle and have a shit before u go riding :S.

Matx

koxx frames get put though loads of prototyping or whatever, and i dont think ive ever seen a koxx frame which hasnt snapped, were as deng doesnt prototype (much?) and seems hardly any of them die often really :S, but meh, depends if your botherd about the weight of ur bike or if ud rather just build muscle and have a shit before u go riding :S.

Matx

to be fair koxx are french..............

they are more comp focused aswell so there trying to get a good mix between weight performance etc where as deng stuff appears to be used mostly for street riding so he just designs a frame then bangs on a load of cncidge at the weak points