Wheel Swapping

When first learning the move. I've found, just go in your back garden and learn gaping to the front end. This will get your confidence to throw yourself over your front wheel, when at this stage you don't even need to keep your brake locked, just allow it to roll through.

Once your confident with that part, go out in your street or somewhere thats remotely quite without traffic etc that has a curb. get on backwheel and once again, launch onto the front wheel, allow the brake to roll through and keep doing that untill your comfy.

Now, your wanting to do intial wheelswaps so. Make sure you have a decent front brake. Now, literally place your wheel onto the curb keeping the front brake locked, when in a comfy position on the front wheel, you've then gotta' transfer your weight, so let go of the front brake and swing your arms forward and flick the rear end of the bike through, putting your weight at the rear of the bike. Then keep practicing that.

Now, if you want to learn to gap into wheel swaps.

So, you start off on backwheel like so:

gallery_8782_6_27221.jpg

Then, get your self close/on the edge.

gallery_8782_6_4769.jpg

Now, Pre-load all your force into your back tyre and lower the front end:

gallery_8782_6_3407.jpg

Now, literally launch your self over the front end, keeping your eye's on the edge of where your landing at all times.

gallery_8782_6_10138.jpg

Now place your front wheel on the edge and hold your brake HARD.

gallery_8782_6_19336.jpg

Now, you've swing your arms upwards, and flick the rear end of the bike through, releasing the front brake, yet locking the rear.

gallery_8782_6_9183.jpg

Then make sure you stay on the wall/curb etc and ride away :)

Initial static wheelswaps can be done like so:

Get on the rear wheel:

gallery_8782_6_19163.jpg

Get comfy and then pre-load into rear wheel:

gallery_8782_6_20163.jpg

Then once again, throw your weight up and forwards positioning the wheel on the wall:

gallery_8782_6_9379.jpg

Now as you can see in this picture, the bike becomes level on the flick through because of releasing the front brake:

gallery_8782_6_157.jpg

Then once again, throw weight towards rear and land on the wall and ride away:

gallery_8782_6_17818.jpg

So, just have a look and read and give each one ago, both help massivly in your riding career.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

An extremely good guide there.

One thing I will point out which isn't essential but will help when trying to gap further, is instead of looking at where you want to land the front, look a bit further past it. For some reason this just helps you go further, well it seems to help me and most people I ride with.

Blah blah...

That's a front to back. :P

Wheelswapping for me: Get the front wheel up on the wall, and try to balance. Have your good foot facing outwards so you can get close to the wall. I stand up straight, then crouch in, and throw my body weight upwards, bringing the bike with me. Then make sure the backwheel gets on the wall... Kinda hard to explain?

A.K.A: Pigeon...

Wheelswapping for me: Get the front wheel up on the wall, and try to balance. Have your good foot facing outwards so you can get close to the wall. I stand up straight, then crouch in, and throw my body weight upwards, bringing the bike with me. Then make sure the backwheel gets on the wall... Kinda hard to explain?

Thats what I call a wheelswap, not a front to back (as danny described very well :D )

Get your shoulders over the bars and huck the bike up underneath you when you jump upwards :)

Im crap at them and can barely get more than 28-30" :(

yea your right this is a wheel swap. Very good example above but that is a front to back/gap to front.

preload alot before the gap to get your back wheel higher, and let the front brake off when you go from front to back.

incidently i havent gettin them yet in 3month or so, well not held to back anyway, the front comes up for a few hops. is there anything that can be exaggerated to help this?

sound advice