24/7 Holroyd Review

c.j

I've been riding my 24/7 Holroyd for a few months now so I thought I would write a review about it. This bike isn’t very common as its the first trials bike 24/7 have made as far as I know (I haven't seen another!) correct me if I am wrong. But it is basically based on a zoo! Pitbull.

I like the design of the frame and think that it is a quality build, the welding looks neat and tidy and the paint finish used on the frame looks really nice and stands out from other silver/black frames on the market.

So far I have used this bike for a mixture of street and natural and it seems capable of handling both. The geometry is something around 1090mm long, 20+ bb with 24/7 trials forks. Some people are unaware that these frames come with a 116mm spacing in the rear meaning they are made for a mod/bmx hub, making a wide variety of hubs you are able to use dependant on budget.

Before I built this bike up I was riding an Onza t-vee to get a feel for trials. This bike had vee brakes, 22-18 gearing and 20” wheels so it was a completely different animal but I am happy I made the change from small to big wheels as it is definitely for the better as I feel more at home on 26" wheels. I’ve found that balancing is easier and getting onto the back wheel is easier, I suppose with the different ratio it’s made easier too.

The bike feels much more controllable, it feels nice and stable on the back wheel which makes my gapping more controlled and accurate. I feel that with this frame the increased control has enabled me to concentrate on my technique much more, which means I have improved all round

SPEC-

- Magura hs33 rear brake with zoo! Greens

- Hope mono mini front brake

- Echo 07 rear rim on Onza hub with DT Swiss spoke as recommended by Jonny mc

- Mavic front rim on Club Roost hub with DT Swiss spokes but I am building the same as rear for the front

- Echo cranks with ACS freewheel

- DMR v8 pedals

- Echo bars and Monty stem

- FSA headset and bottom bracket

I paid £100 for the frame bottom bracket and headset off eBay and I think that the whole build cost me roughly £350. I'm happy as this is a very good first proper trials bike, especially on my budget and I hope to be riding it harder soon!

The only thing I would change on my bike is to put some riser bars on because I’m only of a small to medium build and the bars I have on now are flat. Because of the bikes low front end I feel riser’s bars will make some difference making it more of a more comfortable ride.

Below is a picture of my bike…

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/djthecj/IMG_0867.jpg

Hope I’ve answered any questions, if any body does have any don’t hesitate to ask J

Cheers

CJ

I just bought one of these. I now need knew cranks as well as a new wheel as my truvativ cranks don't have enough clearence against the brakes to allow the use of a wide rim (mines 47mm). The frame looks amazing though and I am really looking forward to giving it a first ride. Glad other people like them!

a friend of mine had one of those. they really do look neat i think. nice to see a review up. just one question though can you tension the chain easy eneough without a derailer/chain tensioner, i.e does the frame have snail cams?

ive actually put some chain tugs on it, i wasnt too sure on drilling the frame as i didnt want to bugger it up really,

although chain tugs are a pain......

I don't know, I still think you're bike rides like a f**king dirty whore.

im not going to argue, because you know what a f**king dirty whore rides like.

LOVE YOU TOO :P

Edited by c.j

Just bought one of these and i cant wait to get on it!

Just one question. Do you have any videos of you riding it because the only videos ive ever seen of people on these bikes is Holroyd himself. Just wanting to see how other people ride them

http://www.youtube.com/user/djthecj there you go mate, its my first trials bike so im not that good yet

Edited by c.j