The 4x4 Thread

Chandler

It's a Disco, what did you expect to happen :P

It did so well though, went up a couple of climbs that a Bowler couldn't do with lockers !!!

It was only a manual 200TDI, but with all the body and suspension mods it was killer :P

I might go that far with my Disco, maybe a Longranger kit on it.

Yea there used to be a guy with a bowler wildcat round near me, awsome machines.

My dads got a disco 1, mk.1 a mint defender 90 annndddd a series 2a which he didnt tell my mum about for over a year, and stored it over at a mates house lol.

i live about 5 mins away from where the bowler wildcat's are made :D

Well, I've taken the plunge !

I give you.... Winston !

This will be the bollocks when I finish it (Y) It's a 90, on a Disco Chassis, with a 3.5 on a manual TD5 box but with a build date and non transfer' reg of 58' :). Solid as a f**king rock ! Just needs finishing properly...

I'm going for, fixing down all the panels, completing the cage, fitting interior, full respray and powder coating the cage, Mach 5 wheels and Insa Special tracks, winch bumpers front and rear and an Ally tank mounted in the truck bed, stainless exhaust coming out of the old filler cap and tree and rock sliders including jackable sills.

Allot of the kit to finish it comes with it, I just need to finish fitting it and get it sprayed !

5vpw75.jpg

2eygun6.jpg

6dy5wy.jpg

It has 1958 plates, so would be passed off as tax exempt, when quite clearly it isn't.

Loads of people do it with landys (usually series 3s 'cos you can get away with it fairly easily), avoid paying road tax, which is rather illegal. When doing it with Defender's/ mashed up Disco's such as above is wayy too obvious and risky from the owner's point of view. You need to have x amount of original parts from the 1958 car to claim tax exempt status, such as chassis being the main one, body parts, axles, transmission, engine etc etc and Jardo's new acquisition has nothing of a Series buried under all that. Can't remember exactly what's required for it.

Hugely frowned upon by anyone who actually has a tax exempt car, too, as there's a greater risk of tax exempt status being removed from everything if lots of people do it. Not very likely to happen, but hey.

Jardo's going to be a good boy, though - project's gonna be a winner :P

Edited by Marvin the Martian

Matt's kinda got it...

The new project had a 1990 Discovery engine and chassis, a 1994 90 roof, a 1992 90 bulkhead a 1993 truck bed and bonnet and etc etc etc It's made up of bits and has some how still got the 1958 number plate attached to the 1990 Discovery Chassis from a previous ring'.

Needs to be sorted seeing as I'm going to be driving it, I've got the original log book for the Chassis thats on it so I'll be able to just ring it back to stock haha.

Sounds good, looks like a good project anywa, best of luck with it Jardo. (Y)

Cheers dude :)

Heres what I'm aiming for - oib00.jpg

The nice thing about 90's is you get the money you put in back, I was just chatting with Matt on MSN and 90's are so ridiculously priced for what they are. But with a bit of a slap with the off road stick they make silly money.

I'm off to Muddy Bottom 4x4 on Sunday in the Bobtail again, for a bit of this ! -

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Pashley26

jarrod. does the owner of the bobtail truck you take off roading not mind that you roll it multiple times?

also

i wanna 4x4!!!!!!!

Nope, not at all. Thats what external cages are for ! And I'm paying him enough to use it at events for him to not worry about it, but I can't afford that expense every time I want to compete so I'm going to build myself one :)

And yeah, go get one ! As soon as you do you'll think "Why didn't I do this before!!!" A 3.9EFI Discovery like mine is only insurance group 11 !

Nope, not at all. Thats what external cages are for ! And I'm paying him enough to use it at events for him to not worry about it, but I can't afford that expense every time I want to compete so I'm going to build myself one :)

And yeah, go get one ! As soon as you do you'll think "Why didn't I do this before!!!" A 3.9EFI Discovery like mine is only insurance group 11 !

i'd love to but being 19 and a 1st year apprentice on a fiver an hour and only being home weekends doesnt really allow.

plus its costing me 1600 on a 1l polo so i have no hope :(

maybe when i qualify(Y)

how much is it costing you to borrow that beast? and do you have to insure it for events?

i tried a bit of off roading in my polo and my 2.9 vivaro van to my amusement. i had to get towed out both times hehe

work werent too impressed when they saw the van hehe

i tried a bit of off roading in my polo and my 2.9 vivaro van to my amusement. i had to get towed out both times hehe

ooh just gave me an idea as my work has a Ford Ranger Truckman lol

wouldnt wanna get any dirt on my HRV haha ;)

if anyone knows any free tracks round Notts let me know!

cos Ive not found any :huh:

i'd love to but being 19 and a 1st year apprentice on a fiver an hour and only being home weekends doesnt really allow.

plus its costing me 1600 on a 1l polo so i have no hope :(

maybe when i qualify(Y)

how much is it costing you to borrow that beast? and do you have to insure it for events?

haha, well I'm 17 with no NCB just a pass plus and an IAM. It's costing my £2900 TFPT but including remote breakdown and recovery unlimited windscreen cover and legal cover, so basically if I break it laning I can get recovered from anywhere another truck can get to.

I'm not really "hiring" the Disco as such, it's a good mate of mine who has the workshop next to my dads. I was out in it last weekend and he's going to the event at the weekend, so it's a case of go along with him and take whatevers left. He's a bloody nutter (a nice bloody nutter though!) and is the sort of person who smashes up cars for fun anyway. So what happens with the off roaders from now in is a bonus, because he's had his fun out of it. He goes off almost twice a week to pay and play events and stuff and has got a couple of disco's, a few modified ones and a few bobtailed range rovers so he's not exactly short of motors to use ! I guess it's just a perk of being "one of the boys" :) But if anything does go wrong then I've got to sort him out for it, and it gets expensive doing all this off roading, last weekend between the 5 of our trucks we did 9 lights 7 diffs 3 steering arms and a PAS pump. Which is about £1200 worth of damage, luckily I didn't break anything but if I did i'd have been in the shit money wise. Nigel wouldn't have minded the fact i'd broken something, just he fact I can't afford to pay for it ! (not that he knows that :P)

ooh just gave me an idea as my work has a Ford Ranger Truckman lol

wouldnt wanna get any dirt on my HRV haha ;)

if anyone knows any free tracks round Notts let me know!

cos Ive not found any :huh:

Theres a few in the best lanes guidebook in this months LROI magazine I think.

Edited by Pashley26

haha, well I'm 17 with no NCB just a pass plus and an IAM. It's costing my £2900 TFPT but including remote breakdown and recovery unlimited windscreen cover and legal cover, so basically if I break it laning I can get recovered from anywhere another truck can get to.

woah. thats mental payinh that much. that would work out at like 28 quid ever day i can use it. (away every week monday to friday) thats like 3 months wages for me. plus fuel.

what do you do? rob banks for a living?

woah. thats mental payinh that much. that would work out at like 28 quid ever day i can use it. (away every week monday to friday) thats like 3 months wages for me. plus fuel.

what do you do? rob banks for a living?

Work in a bike shop from 8 till half 6 for 5 days a week at about £6 an hour.

I don't spend my money on anything else mind you !

My last car (Saab 900 Turbo) was £3800 a year, worked out about £90 a week !

Edited by Pashley26

Work in a bike shop from 8 till half 6 for 5 days a week at about £6 an hour.

I don't spend my money on anything else mind you !

My last car (Saab 900 Turbo) was £3800 a year, worked out about £90 a week !

your insurance company must love you. i could nevr justify spending that much on insurance.

maybe in a few year when im qualified and on 18 quid an hour.

seems you have to be rich to play in the mud,

so why are poor kids always dirty and rich kids clean?

your insurance company must love you. i could nevr justify spending that much on insurance.

maybe in a few year when im qualified and on 18 quid an hour.

seems you have to be rich to play in the mud,

so why are poor kids always dirty and rich kids clean?

You don't need to have lots of money to do it, you just need to be careful and plan where you go.

I've done 4 events and not broken anything by being cautious and not being silly. Where as Nigel managed to do both diffs and a steering arm on Sunday trying to get up one hill.....

Poor kids are dirty because they work hard for there money, rich kids are clean because they have no back bone.

I'd rather be a honest hard working poor kid than a pompus rich one !