The 4x4 Thread

Chandler

I'm off to Muddy Bottom 4x4 on Sunday in the Bobtail again, for a bit of this !

Spent a hell of a lot of time building that site when they had moved from the old one.

Got some really good picks of us getting stuck in the 101 in woods at the far end testing how deep a hole we dug :lol:

Got a RR classic so stuck in one of the marshy parts that we attached it to a mini digger thinking it would be enough of an anchor to get it out but it just pulled the digger towards it lol

Only managed to drive there once in my 2a though, as the clutch release mechanism died recently n iv not fixed it yet :(

My baby.

Image109.jpg

Image110.jpg

Image111.jpg

Edited by Metal

Looks sweet dude! Kinda weird without the bumper :P

Getting so impatient now, Kev and Jon have found my new road-legal project Landy which the assure me i'll love and will shout wantwantwant at it, but neither are telling me what it is. Bastards.

Meets the criteria set by me though, so it's a SWB pre S3 of some sort. Winner.

• 2 weeks later...
It is quite interesting for a series 3, I'd imagine one of the last made, Defender style rear lights and so on.

Yeah, it's an 83/84 so just before the Stage ones, five bearing engine, big brakes etc...

It's still on the cards, but for £100 more i could get this:

DSC05891.jpg

Going to look at it on the 10th of April, 1961 Series 2, body's dead straight, ragtop, great gearbox, selection of engines, currently on a totally raped chassis but comes with a very good rolling chassis that just needs a little bit of work. I just need to find it a barn/ yard for a month or three...

Chassis-up resto for my first 'proper' one? (as in, one that will be loved and road legal, not thrown together and hammered till it snaps)

Discuss.

EDIT: It does have a set of wheels somewhere :P

Edited by Marvin the Martian

Thats a wepon. Buy it. I own a 90 and my friend has an off road only series 2 and a 101 which is in the process of having the v8 changed for a 300tdi we took out of a disco.

Land Rovers are the best, especially the older models. No electrics to go wrong or anything like that. Much better than all the jap crap suzuki things.

Not hard to do a re-build, theres nothing to them. It will be the best thing you ever do lol and its fun working on them.

Josh

Ghetto engine fitting anyone? We had no engine crane, so we took both the front wheels off, using a high lift (Dodgy as fook), dropped it onto the brake discs, then used a strop, long metal bar and lifted it in!

Pics:

Wheels off:

2658_77977040497_504250497_2761516_29726

2658_77977050497_504250497_2761517_32149

2658_77977055497_504250497_2761518_61508

Engine In:

2658_77977060497_504250497_2761519_74931

2658_77977070497_504250497_2761521_59099

2658_77977075497_504250497_2761522_31949

Wheels On:

2658_77977355497_504250497_2761527_55511

Adam

Thats a wepon. Buy it.

Yeah, i've had a few but none have really been loved - my series 3's chassis ended up in two pieces :$

With it' age i think it'll be a doddle, new chassis good, nothing to the wiring loom (headlights, indicators, few dials n' whatnot) then it's just a case of taking everything off and transferring it all over! Would get a new lick of paint in the process, i'm not a fan of the beige!

Skoze, rebuild it solely so that you can re-enact
It'd be silly not to, really

As cool as that is, i think the soft top could put a bit of a downer on the last part, what with the rolling :P

In related news: i found a rather unloved series 1 today, crazy old lady told me it's not for sale and to "get the f**k out of my garden" :(

Edited by Marvin the Martian

• 1 month later...

A green godess?

Why.. and where the hell does he keep it?

And Adam thats the way to do anything to a Land Rover. Make do with what you have, it looks quite nice deffinatley the better of the range rovers i've seen.

Due to a change of plans, Jon's gotta let Winstaaaaaaaaaan go. Anyone want him?

200tdi

Paroblics, Decent ones with pro comp shocks,

Full Autosparks wiring loom,

Ashcroft high ratio transmision

Later axels 24 spline front, Fairey freewheeling hubs

Truck Cab and Soft top included,

All new brakes - cylinders braided hoses, Needs a new set of lineings at some point!

Immaculate chassis and bulkhead.

Winston.jpg

£3500 ono

Due to a change of plans, Jon's gotta let Winstaaaaaaaaaan go. Anyone want him?

200tdi

Paroblics, Decent ones with pro comp shocks,

Full Autosparks wiring loom,

Ashcroft high ratio transmision

Later axels 24 spline front, Fairey freewheeling hubs

Truck Cab and Soft top included,

All new brakes - cylinders braided hoses, Needs a new set of lineings at some point!

Immaculate chassis and bulkhead.

£3500 ono

WANT! WANT! WANT!

Insurance would be into the 5k region, if it had been 3kish i would've had it.. Damn my youthfullness