The 4x4 Thread

Chandler

Matt just out of interest, where do you keep it ?

The 101? It's not mine. Belongs to a very good friend, i work on it when i can in return for love and as much help as I need on mine (Y)

The 1(i wish)/2/2a will go in the garden 'til next year, and get pimped in the process.

edit: Marvin, Id love the 101, but my practical judgement tells me better :S

does it have tax and mot?

Hehe, if you've got somewhere to park it it's brilliant! Not hugely long, just rather tall. My mate would hold onto it, but his mum's trying to kill him for bringing it home, and the two Series 1's need money.

No MOT as it's been off the road for a few years, but general consensus is that it'll pass easily when it's had the last few things done to it, chassis is brilliant, engines great, suspensions all good, everything's a winner, just needs some time and love.

No tax either, but i think tax is around £160-180 p.a.

Matt

Hey, what would you guys recommend as a cheap, second hand off roader, with a half decent MPG?

Me and my dad have been shooting for ages but im trying to convince him to buy a 4x4 so we can get round the fields easier.

We wont be doing anything extreme.

Thanks in advance

Sam :D

Hey, what would you guys recommend as a cheap, second hand off roader, with a half decent MPG?

Me and my dad have been shooting for ages but im trying to convince him to buy a 4x4 so we can get round the fields easier.

We wont be doing anything extreme.

Thanks in advance

*PIC HEAVY POST*

Just get a Discovery or a Series Land Rover. 90's are over priced, and 110's are a bit pooey off road.

-

A few photo's of my Discovery before it goes (probably in the next few days :() If anybody on here wants it then it's £1300 with a years MOT and 6 months tax.

e19niw.jpg

5zl7p0.jpg

e1417a.jpg

2psga42.jpg

ctgdz.jpg

29o4odd.jpg

And check out my ropes and chains, that ropes been in constant use since the 70's when my dad had his Lightweight !

2vmskex.jpg

All of my tidy lights, it took me ages to adapt the bracket for the one under the mirror :P

33jn1aa.jpg

And check out my unadulterated standard cross-axel ability....

xcj85z.jpg

:rolleyes:

1zbtgxw.jpg

Look into a series 3 landy, cheap as f**k, really easy to find, cheap to maintain, good laugh! Put some decent tyres on and it'll be pretty damn good off-road, too (Y)

Just get a Discovery or a Series Land Rover. 90's are over priced, and 110's are a bit pooey off road.

Look into a series 3 landy, cheap as f**k, really easy to find, cheap to maintain, good laugh! Put some decent tyres on and it'll be pretty damn good off-road, too (Y)

Cheers guys, will have a look :D

What sort of MPG would you expect when it's being used on the road?

I would have thought 25mpg if you've got the diesel.

No 4x4's have good fuel economy, fact.

Thought it would be around that, thats the main thing really cos it would be used on road more than off, as we don't have enough money to run an additional vehichal.

Any other half decent off roaders that have a slightly better fuel economy?

Not really I wouldn't have thought. Have a look at sj's and vitaras, or maybe a jimny? Although they come with a whole 'hairdressers cars' label, they are awesome offroad, with a real good power:weight ratio. I can get around 35mpg, at a push, but I average around 30.

Thought it would be around that, thats the main thing really cos it would be used on road more than off, as we don't have enough money to run an additional vehichal.

Any other half decent off roaders that have a slightly better fuel economy?

How about an oldish Honda CRV/HRV? :D a good mix of what u want Id say...

Can handle offroad (albeit not extreme), and economy is average depending how u drive it.

My HRV is 33mpg, but I reckon its higher on long gentle runs (this will be a lot lower offroad in 4WD)

Can get decent older ones for a few Ks. I reckon well worth it for the quality of car u get.

I don't mean to be rude because I know you like them, but the Hondas are hairdressers cars.

Get one by all means Sam, but be prepared for everyone who had a Land Rover (or any other 4x4 for that matter!) to laugh it you behind your back.

They do serve a purpose, as a SUV. But an Off-Roader ?

nice, I like it, and gold!? can u get ur 24" in the back if u fold the seats?

2350 thats huge but I gues they will always take the p*ss if ur 17

i can get my 24" in the back with ease but i usaly just stick it on the roof on the bike rack and get a mod in the back that things like the tardis tiny outside huge inside i'll get some pics of it when its loaded with bikes :giggle:

I don't mean to be rude because I know you like them, but the Hondas are hairdressers cars.

Get one by all means Sam, but be prepared for everyone who had a Land Rover (or any other 4x4 for that matter!) to laugh it you behind your back.

They do serve a purpose, as a SUV. But an Off-Roader ?

The point I was making is that they served the purpose that he needs ie. onroad use and greenlaning, as opposed to severe off roading

Surely by ur thinking that makes most 4x4s hairdressers cars cos they arent brilliant offroad - eg. cayenne, tiguan, toureg, xc70 etc etc

Ive always thought hairdressers cars were the likes of open top vitaras and open top jeep wranglers?

Personally I prefer having a car that you can look good in, even if you get laughed at by Landies beside u at the lights,

but then, shouldnt I be laughing at you onroad? Seeing as my car is faster more economical, more reliable and a lot more comfortable onroad

IF you were to drive up beside me on a muddy field, I would hang my head in shame whilst you wet urself with joy :P

But maybe Id be too busy laughing at the guy on my otherside trying to offroad in a 106 :)

and perhaps the guy in a Unimog would be calling you the hairdresser ^_^

Edited by Chandler

The point I was making is that they served the purpose that he needs ie. onroad use and greenlaning, as opposed to severe off roading

Surely by ur thinking that makes most 4x4s hairdressers cars cos they arent brilliant offroad - eg. cayenne, tiguan, toureg, xc70 etc etc

Ive always thought hairdressers cars were the likes of open top vitaras and open top jeep wranglers?

Personally I prefer having a car that you can look good in, even if you get laughed at by Landies beside u at the lights,

but then, shouldnt I be laughing at you onroad? Seeing as my car is faster more economical, more reliable and a lot more comfortable onroad

IF you were to drive up beside me on a muddy field, I would hang my head in shame whilst you wet urself with joy :P

But maybe Id be too busy laughing at the guy on my otherside trying to offroad in a 106 :)

and perhaps the guy in a Unimog would be calling you the hairdresser ^_^

The only realy problem is they're not a V8 :P

I appreciate what your saying, a Honda is 70/30 on road/off road but I'm a bit more simple than that.

I (and allot of other people) enjoy the simplicity, strip downedness and generally basic land rovers because of that. There not a vehicle to get about in, I see most land rovers as a lifestyle necessity. There essentially working vehicles, and I couldn't see a CRV being "worked" in the same sense.

But, as you rightly say there is a good market for the Hondas and they fit the bill for the more on road user but allow you to nip down a lane to a cycling track or to let you go that little bit further.

I wasn't knocking the Hondas and stuff, I was just starting a discussion :P

Edited by Pashley26

Agreed.. just thought it was a major assumption! The anaolgy would be to say Landies are farmers cars :)

Still, Id rather a pretty boy SUV than an eco warrior hunchback :lol:

Edit p.s. my next car is gonna be a Landie, but this one...

post-16919-1236888627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chandler

I (and allot of other people) enjoy the simplicity, strip downedness and generally basic land rovers because of that. There not a vehicle to get about in, I see most land rovers as a lifestyle necessity. There essentially working vehicles, and I couldn't see a CRV being "worked" in the same sense.

A disco doesn't count there, Jardo :P

All about the Series'!

I think Chandler's got the nail square in the face though, with regard to the whole horses for courses thing. SJ's are surprisingly good off-road (even better when they're not yours, speaking from experience) But they will always have that stigma attached to them no matter what gets done to 'em.

Every car you get you seem to think is the be all and end all of motoring.

No; I think Saab 99's are the be all and end all of motoring, I just get a bit "enthusiastic" about the other stuff I have.

I do however always buy the best of what I am going to buy (if that makes sense ?), so rather than buying a scratched up manky 2L MPI when I bought my disco I went for the 3.9EFI in the best condition I could find, and with my 900 Turbo rather than having a shitty LPT I went for the best T16S Aero I could find. It's like with riding a bike, if your riding a shit unreliable beaten up bike you don't want to go out riding it. But if your riding a well looked after good quality bike your more encouraged to go out for a ride.

I don't believe in buying a "cheap" car as such, if your going to buy something you might aswell buy the best that you can get. I learnt that when I drove my first Rover 2200TC P6, it was a sack of shit and drove like a tractor. But I drove a one owner from new, always serviced at half intervals no expense spared one and it was lovely. One of the nicest cars I've traveled in !

So yeah, if your going to do something do it the best you can is my motto when i comes to cars.

Also, I go through phases of "I want a hot hatch" - "I want a 4x4" - "I want an Italian Sports Car" - "I want another Saab" - "I want a 4x4" and when I buy a car in each field I do the research, find out what is the best car I can buy in that market and then buy the best one I can in that market. So I guess in a way what your saying is right, I think my cars are the be all and end all because thats what they are without going stupid.

Edited by Pashley26