Youtube Copyright Issues

Ali C

yo homies

Got a message via youtube about a song used in one of my vids. This is the message:

Dear YouTube Member:

UMG has claimed some or all audio content in your video Ali C old skool vid. This claim was made as part of the YouTube Content Identification program.

Your video is still live because UMG has authorized the use of this content on YouTube. As long as UMG has a claim on your video, they will receive public statistics about your video, such as number of views. Viewers may also see advertising on your video's page.

Claim Details:

Copyright owner: UMG

Content claimed: Some or all of the audio content

Policy: Allow this content to remain on YouTube.

* Place advertisements on this video's watch page.

Applies to these locations:

Everywhere

UMG claimed this content as a part of the YouTube Content Identification program. YouTube allows partners to review YouTube videos for content to which they own the rights. Partners may use our automated video / audio matching system to identify their content, or they may manually review videos.

If you believe that this claim was made in error, or that you are otherwise authorized to use the content at issue, you can dispute this claim with UMG and view other options in the Video ID Matches section of your YouTube account. Please note that YouTube does not mediate copyright disputes between YouTube owners. Learn more about video identification disputes.

Sincerely,

The YouTube Content Identification Team

What I want to know is, is this serious? Are they or can they ask me for money?

I thought you could use songs as long as they were not in a profit making scheme.

James Hyland atctally made the vid, who would be to blame if it went tits up?

Cheers

Ali

Sounds like theyre just making use of the advertiding opportunity, nowhere does it say to remove the content or you'll be charged a sum of money so i wouldnt worry about that. And you'd be to blame if anything did happen, as it's technically you whos broadcasting the material.

I had this message for one of my videos on YouTube, just a personal trials video not promoting anything.

I just credited it in the description of my video and heard no more.

The artist I used was HIM, and the email message said "UMG", I checked their record label and it was not UMG or any of its sub-groups so I found it a bit bull really.

cool, cheers guys, thats what I thought, but my mum wanted me to take off all my vids incase they sued me or somthing :S

They can't sue you. Well, they could, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. They're just having a 'power issue' at the moment, they can't control the piracy etc, so looking for an even easier target. They'll be bored before too long, and start trying to sue you for singing a song in your head... :giggle:

Had a chat with a few people last night about this as they'd received emails on the matter.

If you use re-mix's which haven't been released, just been done for fun - they have no say on the matter.

Think the same could go if you speed up/slow down and cut up a track dramatically.

Had a chat with a few people last night about this as they'd received emails on the matter.

If you use re-mix's which haven't been released, just been done for fun - they have no say on the matter.

Think the same could go if you speed up/slow down and cut up a track dramatically.

<pre-empt mr Mack>

Pics of the Boxx?

</pre-empt mr Mack>

Seeing as he knows why I can't get photos at the moment, and I did explain to people - that makes you look like a dick :):rolleyes:

Seeing as I also know why you can't get photos at the moment, and saw your explaination - you ARE a dick. :rolleyes::P