Is It Possible To Get This Spec Laptop For

MadManMike

Well 1gb is ok I guess, but with music production RAM & CPU are important to have high spec - my current PC runs like a bucket of shite, though it's done me well - it's a 2.4ghz P4 and 768mb RAM hehe

It is 5 years old though, I need a beast!

PC World have some very good deals on at the moment like;

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2370

(1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium

2 GB Memory

120 GB Hard Drive

15.4" Widescreen Screen

Supermulti ReWriter Drive

Wireless Enabled

4 USB Connections

2.9 Kg Weight

Here

I've seen some cracking, yes cracking, good deals recently, mainly in stores like PC World, Commet. Apple Store shocked me recently with some of the re-furbed stock. Although I know you want to buy new, there are some amazing second hand deals to be had, but you just have to be careful who you're going to buy off of.

Hope I've been of any help :)

Edit; I know it's just under 1.8, sorry.

You really need a desktop, and I know as a fact there are some amazing deals on desktops at the moment. Are you going to be using it to take it with you to clubs etc?

Edited by Hendrix

PC World have some very good deals on at the moment like;

Here

I've seen some cracking, yes cracking, good deals recently, mainly in stores like PC World, Commet. Apple Store shocked me recently with some of the re-furbed stock. Although I know you want to buy new, there are some amazing second hand deals to be had, but you just have to be careful who you're going to buy off of.

Hope I've been of any help :)

Edit; I know it's just under 1.8, sorry.

You really need a desktop, and I know as a fact there are some amazing deals on desktops at the moment. Are you going to be using it to take it with you to clubs etc?

I should have said, Vista is a no-no. I've used it on 2 seperate PC's (Both good spec) and it's shite!

Desktop - problem is I don't have enough space and Laptops can be taken to events to record sets :) / do remixes on the fly during my own sets :D

I should have said, Vista is a no-no. I've used it on 2 seperate PC's (Both good spec) and it's shite!

Desktop - problem is I don't have enough space and Laptops can be taken to events to record sets :) / do remixes on the fly during my own sets :D

Ahh fair do's. I'm sure someone could hook you up with a copy of XP Professional for nout, else... you should be able to get it included in a place like PC World, maybe... though, it would probably be home edition :P

Ahh fair do's. I'm sure someone could hook you up with a copy of XP Professional for nout, else... you should be able to get it included in a place like PC World, maybe... though, it would probably be home edition :P

Windows 95 is better than Vista haha... Home Edition is fine :)

Refurbished is definitely the way to go. I got 1gb ram, 3ghz, 160gb harddrive, nVidia 6200le and a dvdrw drive for 470 when 1gb was pretty much the highest you could get, apart from 2 grand media centre PCs. About 2.5 years ago.

And it's still running today.

Edited by Fat Pants™

XP has stopped shipping with new hardware, so you only get Vista, not even sure if they offer the downgrade package anymore?

What problems did you have with vista, as i hated it at first, but it does seem so much better, and program and hardware support has greatly increased

533MHz FSB, ouch.

Nothing wrong with Vista, it just seems cool to hate it.

Anyway, back on to laptops for 325 you're going to get the same thing pretty much anywhere. Dependant on what you want it for, it might be worth looking into getting a second hand single core laptop for half the price because at 325 it might be a laptop but it's not a lot of computer.

If you have an OS 'sorted' out most part of that 325 is going towards the license, so thats another thing to consider.

XP has stopped shipping with new hardware, so you only get Vista, not even sure if they offer the downgrade package anymore?

What problems did you have with vista, as i hated it at first, but it does seem so much better, and program and hardware support has greatly increased

Trying to play games, even old ones - like Vice City or older, and they ran unplayably jerky or the installer didn't even load. Legit copies I might add.

A few programs I use frequently aren't available on Vista or don't run properly.

It's just annoying, so many pointless features. They should ahve got XP and stripped it down, not bulked it up with even more pointless animations and fading effects! Granted you can turn them off, but the OS is still system draining for no good reason.

I dont mean to hi-jack your thread atall mike, but I do have a very quick laptop related question. What is the cheapest I can get a semi-decent laptop for, all I use it for is listening to music (so it needs a decent memory) watching videos online, using TF, using MSN, and then playing the odd bit of online games/gta 1/2 lol.

Or is mikes spec the best sorta spec I can get without getting a piece of shite?

Processor: T2310 Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.46GHz (1MB Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Memory: 2GB (2048MB) DDR2 533MHz

Hard Drive: 120GB Serial (SATA)

Display/Screen: 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display

Optical drive: DVD-ReWriter Drive

Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 8400M GS Graphics with 128MB Dedicated RAM

Sound Card: Sigma Tel Audio HD

Wireless network: YES

Bluetooth: NO, Available For £10 (Original Dell Internal Fitted)

Additional features: - Integrated Web Camera

- 8-in-1 Multimedia Memory Card Reader

- Integrated Wireless Hotspot Catcher

- FireWire (For Video Editing etc)

- Broadband Ready Network Card

- Internet Ready Modem

- Touchpad

- Built-in speakers & Microphone

- Mobile Broadband HSDPA 3.6 Ready

(Accomodates SIM, extra internal modem required, please see upgrades section)

Ports: - 4 x USB 2.0

- 1 x Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45)

- 1 x 56K Modem (RJ11)

- 1 x FireWire IEEE1394a

- 1 x VGA

- 1 x & S-Video

- 1 x ExpressCard 54mm Slot

- 1 x Infra Red

- Microphone/Headphone Sockets

Keyboard: UK Layout (qwerty), for different keyboards see here

Software: - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

- DVD-Playing & CD/DVDWriting Software

- Open Office Software Suite

Included: - Battery

- Worldwide AC Adaptor/Charger (110v-240v)

- Recovery Media/Discs

£389.99 - more than I wanted to spend but it's a good spec... Gonna go for this I think :D

I was a vista disapprover for a good while, after a few months using it you'll find its alright. Paid £350 for mine, 2gb ram, 120gb hard drive, dual core something-or-other and 17" screen. Its 'refurbished'. That was at xmas time so you should be able to find something similar or better now for the same price. Keep an eye on hotdealsuk.com for dell laptops.. some good deals crop up every now and then.

I was a vista disapprover for a good while, after a few months using it you'll find its alright.

I don't disapprove, it just plain doesn't work - honestly, 60% of the stuff I use doesn't work on my g/f's PC. It's a good spec HP with Vista and things just don't work :S

Hey, Bill Gates and Co, instead of making a screen saver that emulates bubbles going across the screen, focus on making your OS work properly eh?

Or keep an eye out on Ebay. I picked up a Sony Vaio with the 2.1ghz Pentium M Dothan Chip (fastest single core mobile processor) with 2gb of ram for £200. Personally I think those cheaper Pentium T series dual core processors are the Intel Celerons of the dual core market an I'd seriously consider anything other than one of those.

I don't disapprove, it just plain doesn't work - honestly, 60% of the stuff I use doesn't work on my g/f's PC. It's a good spec HP with Vista and things just don't work :S

Hey, Bill Gates and Co, instead of making a screen saver that emulates bubbles going across the screen, focus on making your OS work properly eh?

You showed him Mike ;)

Wrong! Bill gates sold it a couple of weeks ago! :P