Holidays.

Danny Kearns

Right guys, Me and friend have just had a insane idea. We wanna' go visit somewhere in the states next year for my birthday. Were thinking, either New York Or Miami.

Will be May 2009 time.

Now, anyone know any good websites for cheap flights including accomadation.

Looking for either a 3 or 4 star hotel.

For 7 nights.

Around £1500 each for flight and accomadation.

Little help would be great seeing as this is my first time flying and i don't understand it all :P

Right guys, Me and friend have just had a insane idea. We wanna' go visit somewhere in the states next year for my birthday. Were thinking, either New York Or Miami.

Will be May 2009 time.

Now, anyone know any good websites for cheap flights including accomadation.

Looking for either a 3 or 4 star hotel.

For 7 nights.

Around £1500 each for flight and accomadation.

Little help would be great seeing as this is my first time flying and i don't understand it all :P

erm. dont know about miami, but new york should be doable, not sure on the 3 or 4 star hotel, but my mate regularly flies over there for like £300 for a long weekend. comes back, with a load of designer crap he doesnt need. but he always does it last minute kinda crap,

you ever been arrested danny? and if so what for?

im doing something a bit similar next month

flight £520 there n back.. flying to newark flying out jfk with virgin atlantic

hotels.. not fully sorted but stuff like the mariot hotel is like £80 a night per room shit is expensive nowerdays but if theres 2 of you it will kill off the hotel costs nicely if u get a single room for both of you

Check your passport to see if it has the barcode thingy on the bottom, if it does just book your flight, hotels etc and take your passport and some insurance and jobs a good un.

UK since i think last month? is now a part of the visa waiver program, so short stays you dont need any form of visa as long as you have the barcode shit on your passport.

Edited by Spacemunkee

erm. dont know about miami, but new york should be doable, not sure on the 3 or 4 star hotel, but my mate regularly flies over there for like £300 for a long weekend. comes back, with a load of designer crap he doesnt need. but he always does it last minute kinda crap,

you ever been arrested danny? and if so what for?

Ermm, i got took home once for been drunk and disordely, never got a criminal record or anything like.

im doing something a bit similar next month

flight £520 there n back.. flying to newark flying out jfk with virgin atlantic

hotels.. not fully sorted but stuff like the mariot hotel is like £80 a night per room shit is expensive nowerdays but if theres 2 of you it will kill off the hotel costs nicely if u get a single room for both of you

Check your passport to see if it has the barcode thingy on the bottom, if it does just book your flight, hotels etc and take your passport and some insurance and jobs a good un.

UK since i think last month? is now a part of the visa waiver program, so short stays you dont need any form of visa as long as you have the barcode shit on your passport.

I dont have a passport man. Never flew before.

I dont have a passport man. Never flew before.

new passport is first thing on your checklist to get then ;) it will be the new barcode one too so thats most shit sorted.

my flight costs:

Fare GBP 272.00 Taxes/Fees/Charges/Surcharges YQ161.00 GB40.00 XT47.50 Total GBP 520.50

tax+surcharges are crap :( another 250£ added on to the damn ticket cos of it :(

err hotels:

Marriott Newark Liberty International Airport

3.0* hotel in New York

Description Price 1 x Twin room @ £82.00 £82.00 TOTAL £82.00

so will be £40 for you both per night pretty much if you aim for the 3* ones, tbf i think marriott hotels are decent for 3*'s not a crappy as others ive seen and plenty of them in new york area

ah youll be ok then, technically the visa waiver programme doesnt care about criminal record, it cares about arrests.

some people say any arrest and you need to mention it, others dont.

the form says arrests of moral turpitude need to be declared,and exclude you from the visa waiver programme.

new passport is first thing on your checklist to get then ;) it will be the new barcode one too so thats most shit sorted.

my flight costs:

Fare GBP 272.00 Taxes/Fees/Charges/Surcharges YQ161.00 GB40.00 XT47.50 Total GBP 520.50

tax+surcharges are crap :( another 250£ added on to the damn ticket cos of it :(

err hotels:

Marriott Newark Liberty International Airport

3.0* hotel in New York

Description Price 1 x Twin room @ £82.00 £82.00 TOTAL £82.00

so will be £40 for you both per night pretty much if you aim for the 3* ones, tbf i think marriott hotels are decent for 3*'s not a crappy as others ive seen and plenty of them in new york area

Thats sound pritty damn reasonable. Is that £520 for flight there and back ? or just one way ?

There and back, mine is slightly more expensive than expected due to havin to get a specific flight back with my gf (shes working over there atm and finishes the week i fky over). There will ofcourse be cheaper flights, dependent on whether you fly direct (more expensive but 7-8hour flight) or indirect (cheaper but can be anywhere around 16hour flight...) and then the airline/season you go etc. Around the time kids have time off from school is pretty much when prices go up and also summer ofc and near holiday season. Booking late might seem like a good idea to most people, but there is no guarantee on anything. Especially if you wanted to sit with your mate booking early you can change where you sit on virgin atlantic etc. Infact, virgin havebeen proper ideal for me, booked flight/insurace/hotel all on their site. Might cost more than others but its just nicer to have everything under 1 company

Your profile suggests this would be for your 18th birthday? I thought it would be a good idea to point out that you have to be 21 to drink in the US just in case you had ideas of partying.

If you fly mid week you can get some really cheap flights. When I went to New York last year we got flights through BA for £200 return!

Your profile suggests this would be for your 18th birthday? I thought it would be a good idea to point out that you have to be 21 to drink in the US just in case you had ideas of partying.

If you fly mid week you can get some really cheap flights. When I went to New York last year we got flights through BA for £200 return!

Yeah understand that dude. I don't really drink anyways so thats not really an issue. Its more the expirience and sight seeing that interests me (Strange for a 17 year old lad, yes i know haha).

£200 return :o Bargain.

Were just looking into it lightly at the min. Deffinatly want to do it, Just finding out some info at the min.

Sorry to hi-jack your topic a bit Danny, but suppose my questions may help...

I was looking at going to the States for my 21st Birthday next year...giving mates plenty of time to get hold of the money. Now, I was thinking Las Vegas or New York; New York would be better for myself - I just think I'd enjoy that more (any comments welcomed).

As said, its a 16 hour flight or so, if I were to go to America, is it work going for just the one week as most of your holiday is spent travelling?

Also, what are the prices of Hotels and general living (food, drink, useless crap?).

Thanks!

Its more the expirience and sight seeing that interests me (Strange for a 17 year old lad, yes i know haha).

Ive never quite understood the whole site seeing bollox.

Get yourself into the depths of india or somewhere like that.. Then you see some sites.

Not the bloody empire state building, Time square. Blah Blah. Thats like a daytrip to london. Boring as f**k LOL.

If you want an adventure. Be brave and take the leap, go somewhere, where it will open your eyes.

(Just my 50p)

Get yourself into the depths of india or somewhere like that.. Then you see some sites.

Not the bloody empire state building, Time square. Blah Blah. Thats like a daytrip to london. Boring as f**k LOL.

If you want an adventure. Be brave and take the leap, go somewhere, where it will open your eyes.

(Just my 50p)

I agree, it is just another tourist hot spot of the world and having been their myself I do think New York is over rated personally.

You are better off going round Europe or the east - the amount of different cultures, history and languages is just a whole new experience altogether.

(Just my 50p)

Cheers dude for that. It's just ever since i was little, always had an Obsession with New York and Miami. It will be an evern better expirience for me, cause i've never even left this country, so i don't even know what it's like been on a plane :P haha.

Cheers for all input though guys.

Cheers dude for that. It's just ever since i was little, always had an Obsession with New York and Miami.

I know exactly what you mean; to be honest the whole exotic travelling thing doesn't really push my button, much rather see massive buildings, cities and such...

Why not stay in a Backpackers hostel? I stayed in on that was across the street from Madison Square Gardens and only cost me about £10 per night. Had a sweet roof top terrace to which was good for sitting on at night and loooking at the folk go by. I'll see if i can find the name of it. As for the sights of New York i did most of it in about 2 days and i was walking pretty much everywhere. Missed my plane on the way hoe and expected a good 12 hour wait or something but no, they were flying every hour for some reason, was quality,only about 30 people on the whole Jumbo.

Right, the place i stayed was the Manhattan Inn here. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm thingy but most of the time it was me my mate and some Israli lad who was sound. Its a good way to meet people aswell. Or you could plump for a 2 bed room.

Trans-Atlantic flights are good. They give you a harpoon with your lifejacket so that if you crash land on water you can fend off the sharks.

I say take your £1500 and go on a bender round Europe. I reckon it'd be far less predictable and far more fun. Plus your money will go further.