What's The Best Ffw?

mexophilia

Hi guys! I am in search of a good FFW. What would you recommend? Price is not an issue.

My ACS FFW just slipped big time and i have to open up the FFW and sharpen the pawls to work. I know that from this point that it won't last, maybe i have a month or less before this one gives up again.

I really need your help on your recommendations so I can order a good one.

Tnx

In the time I've had my Tensile, my mate has had 3 Enos and 2 Try-Alls. Hmm....

There's something wrong with your mate.

I'd never ride with anything other than an ENO. It's kind of a coin toss wether your tensile is going to last. Heard lots of stroies that they just give up, but some say they last with no problems.

All much of a muchness it seems. Had ACS freewheels (hasn't everybody?), had an Eno, Had a Tensile, Had one of the very first Try-All freewheels, and I now have one of the new ones. In order that I had them...

• ACS was shit, had about 3 and they all lasted only a few hours. This was back in the day, so I literally couldn't ride trials. Going to bash and wheelies was as good as it got.
  • The Tensile was alright, lack of EPs was why I got rid, but it did skip a little. Also when I had it I was too thick/scared to open it up and clean it out.
  • The first Try-All was very good, had it for ages, this was the time when everybody was saying about them skipping, and mine didn't at all. Only got rid of it because I went stock, and got a Pro2.
  • Eno - went back to freewheels a little while ago (just under 6 months ago) and got an Eno. Which I liked to begin with. Skipped a couple of times bedding in but was no trouble. Started skipping again, so serviced it. Then it was fine, then it started skipping again (only a couple of times) and I couldn't be arsed with it anymore. Sent it to tarty and was diagnosed with raped pawl syndrome and now that tarty have serviced it its bloody mint and is working perfectly on Nick G's bike.
  • Try-All (the new, welded ones - my current freewheel and favorite) so - got this freewheel on my new complete bike, was going to change it for an Eno before I even got it but thought ahhh I'll give it a try. Oh boy am I glad I gave it a try. Love it to bits. Engagement feels great, nice sound that isn't OTT, and it hasn't skipped once. Full confidence in it and won't be changing it in the foreseeable future.

So yeah - Try-All is where its at.

Edit: Also had a monty freewheel, but never actually used it so irrelevant really. Got it out of the box, had a play with it, felt horrible so promptly sold it.

Edited by Quackers!!

Tensiles are great for the price, but i cracked the outer on mine after about 5months riding. Im using a monty freewheel at the moment and they seem good. Its only skipped the odd time. But id proberly say eno is the proberly the best.

ENO trials, be sure you take the trials version not the other ones which will break

ENO trials has lasted 1 year and 2 months for me, without skipping, just need to clean it after every 3 months which is very easy to do

i dont have any personal experience with tensiles but they seem to be good also monty freewheels and tryalls- mine lasted only 7 months though

and ACS :giggle: after 2 months it was smooth from the inside, pawls didnt have a spot to engage anymore

My ENO lasted me a year and a half, never skipped and I never serviced/cleaned it out once :). Changed to a profile last year and I'm fairly sure my ENO's still running strong to this day (Y).

Best freewheel's out there in my oppinion.

Tensile is sweet and its really cheap i dunno about Try-alls heard alot about them skipping alot, id probably say ENO is the best not only it got high engagements but u can replace individual parts.

Edited by tom aky

ENO ***. After being bruised from unreliable ACS's I dont trust anything but the best.

Have snapped a tooth off mine and it still works :) Had to replace the lockring + body after I tried to put my chain on over it and it smashed it off lol

Thank you so much for all the inputs guys! It really helped to narrow down to these choices.

So it's down to ENO, and Try All.

With these two top notchers, I think I have to see what's practical and durable. With the Tryalls, i think more engagements is sweet but maybe more likely to slip than the Eno with lesser engagements because it has deeper cuts on the ring which would have the pawls hold more than ffw's with greater engagements.

I've seen opened 108 engagements and the teeths on the inside are really small. I really think that I can break them.

I think?! I can be wrong?!

If you go for Eno Trials, then open it up and check pawl's location! As you konow, it should go like: long short long short long short , but I've seen some Eno's with pawls located like that: long long long short short short.

Keep it in mind please. :)