Is Trials Expensive ?

gu trials

to keep good at trials and your bike working good all the time how much a year would you say your bike costs you ?

mine has rode good once and then i got a puncher and ever since the back end has been rubish to ride with and it keeps costing money.

I cant afford to ride trials and never have been able to. I have to scrimp and scrounge to keep riding. Every penny i own goes on my bike. I never get to buy clothes or ipods or anything. I have a job too and i still struggle. Damn right its expensive.

I get that stressed with money problems cause of trials sometimes, I always consider stopping.

When at school was the easiest cause parents got all bike stuff for me, now i work its f**king solid.

That's a relative term. It's not expensive comparing to freeride or downhill. It's expensive if you compare it to chess.

Don't quite understand the question. Surely you can gauge if the sport is hard on your pocket or not :P

It doesn't cost me anything to keep my bike running now, nothing has broken since September. I occasionally change some parts when new interesting ones are released.

Just ride smoothly and if you can't afford to replace parts, keep off the big stuff.

I cant afford to ride trials and never have been able to. I have to scrimp and scrounge to keep riding. Every penny i own goes on my bike. I never get to buy clothes or ipods or anything. I have a job too and i still struggle. Damn right its expensive.

I get that stressed with money problems cause of trials sometimes, I always consider stopping.

When at school was the easiest cause parents got all bike stuff for me, now i work its f**king solid.

i dont work and i need 2 keep buyin stuff but cant keep goin 2 ma bank.. £50 tops for tyres £20 + for pads £70 on 2 things that you really need. its stupid

the prices should be dropped.

why is trials so expensive though ??

Yeah, trials is expensive. I have to buy new stuff all the time. Right now I need new pads and tires, but I'm not going to get any cause it cost too much. Would go dual disc soon, but it will be quite a while cause it will cost me an arm and a leg.

exactly how i feel too...

on top of this is a natural progresssion that occurs too, u get better, u want a better bike, then it costs more and everything is constantly being repaired, upgraded etc. I spend loads of time worrying about where the money will come from. ATM im currently living with$4 in my account til end of the week, due to new bike purchase. Its neverending. But!! 10mins on the bike and its all worth it... so i keep doing it. Trials is Life ... for me anyways

exactly how i feel too...

on top of this is a natural progresssion that occurs too, u get better, u want a better bike, then it costs more and everything is constantly being repaired, upgraded etc. I spend loads of time worrying about where the money will come from. ATM im currently living with$4 in my account til end of the week, due to new bike purchase. Its neverending. But!! 10mins on the bike and its all worth it... so i keep doing it. Trials is Life ... for me anyways

i agree its worth it if you comete in a lot of comps and things but there arnt many around my way and only a few riders 10 tops. i just mess around on rocks and walls and things but still cost loads even if you dnt throw you bike around as much

I don't find trials is all that expensive...especially when you compare it to other things. CARS are expensive! I haven't worked since April 24th, and I still have a fully functioning bike. It's actually the best it's ever been! :P

I see a lot of people break things unnecessarily, like by getting angry and throwing the bike or hitting it or w/e. If you're that kind of person, trials is going to be very expensive. Some people just don't know how to bail either...

I'm with Inur on this one - initially it can cost a fair bit to build a decent bike up, but if you do it over time, look second hand for bits and bobs, ride smoother etc so you break less and other such things, it's most certainly doable

My bike's at the stage where it's only really disposable parts that I need to pay out for (pads every year or so, tyres after 6 months to a year, brake cables from time to time), and otherwise it's just a case of buying something new if I fancy trying things out, or changing something around a bit

Considering the fact you can get a decent spec second hand bike for the price of a decent new frame, it's really not that bad. You get what you work for (or what your parents work for in far too many cases, it would seem)

If you want it enough, you'll invest the time and money it takes to get it ;)

Trials is expensive for me as I have had to pay for my new bike. Since my birthday in March and saving up from paper round and other small jobs here and there iv'e earned nearly £400.

I've bought bits for my frame since I got it for my birthday and finally now i've built it up. Still needs work doing though so ive got to wait another week when i earn another £14 from paper round. :(

All the parts i've bought have been second hand and really good cheap parts....

Zoo! cranks - £40

Try-All wheel - £40

Echo Freewheel- £15

Front Onza wheel, as brand new £15

Cheaper than brand new parts and they are all in good condition.

Edited by trials onza

Too expensive, makes me wanna quit but I've got nothing better to do.

Thought about moving to BMX but the bikes are to small for my liking. Downhill too expensive as well.

I'm 14 and I've got to pay for all my bike stuff. My parents give me allowance, but that would take decades to save up with. So got a paper round

(£15.75 for an hour and a half) and gardening for some guy and very occasionally deliver the Ikea catalouges.

My CV's already sorted.

I've got three bikes. My onza Proto which I spend all my money on, a mongoose expert bmx .... i've change tyres and bars on and i've got a dirt jump bike , unsure of the brand though . I don't spend money on my other bikes because they dont need looking after as much as trials because more things break doing trials riding than BMXing or dirt jumping for me. :)

I'm with Inur on this one - initially it can cost a fair bit to build a decent bike up, but if you do it over time, look second hand for bits and bobs, ride smoother etc so you break less and other such things, it's most certainly doable

My bike's at the stage where it's only really disposable parts that I need to pay out for (pads every year or so, tyres after 6 months to a year, brake cables from time to time), and otherwise it's just a case of buying something new if I fancy trying things out, or changing something around a bit

Considering the fact you can get a decent spec second hand bike for the price of a decent new frame, it's really not that bad. You get what you work for (or what your parents work for in far too many cases, it would seem)

If you want it enough, you'll invest the time and money it takes to get it ;)

I agree with this.

Trials may seem expensive, woahmg Kamel full bike is £1900 for the mod £2300 for the stock, (or whatever) but compare it to DH/XC/FR, you're looking at like... silly money to get a comp-spec DH bike, which is what you're getting when you buy the Kamels/Koxx Boxx/etc.

Have no idea how much my bike has cost, i know i've not brought nothing eles for months :lol: all i say is there's a Inspired fourplay looking at me now not a zoot :$ Downhillers probley spend more though, pal just brought some £500 on forks ffs. Think forum helps as you can get some sweet little deals etc... Really though every boy must have his toys and will be very happy when playing wit them, without his one pissed off bloke :-

Edited by thewoomaster

I don't think trials is expensive at all, when you look at the design of components and how much machining they've needed, they're pretty cheap really. The bikes can take such a hammering aswell these days, doing all the trials type things, when it weighes under 10kg and the rider weighes about 70kg. :lol:

compared to other hobbies its cheap as chips, it's wayyyy not as expensive as my enduro but its alot more expensive than playing rugby but aslong as you are prepared to look after the bike washing it and lubing the bearings and stuff you can increase the life of your bike and make it last longer

Until you have the bike that you want it can be quite expensive, always feeling the need to upgrade. But once your bike is sorted it is free to go ride unless you get alot of trains or ride comps. Guy I work with is a snowboarder and he has to pay £15 for 3 hours at the snow dome...On top of the price of his board/boots/stuff (not cheap)

As people have already said ride carefully if you don't want to brake stuff and look after your bike. Also 'bodging' will save you a lot of money :)

There are plenty of cheap builds out there too - for £300 or so you can get a decent starter bike brand new, or a really good spec second hand bike

To put you moaners into perspective, I recently built a full, decent spec trials bike:

Echo Pure '04 frame in spanking condition

Saracen Mad forks (very similar to the older Koxx models), again, spanktastic

FSA headset, as good as new

DX32s f&r, mint

Pro II rear hub (1 month old)

Middleburns, good condition

Maggies, fully awesome

etc

Care to estimate a price?

You'd be surprised what you can get for £130 really, wouldn't you...

Depends... I used to want a mint condition perfect running bike. Now I'm getting used to riding bits that are bashed to buggery which i brought for nothing. I'd say i spend about 200-300 a year and thats just because i change frames too often. Its alright, if you buy things new though it can be a hell of a lot more