Freewheel Fun

Tim/Trialsin USA

lol, I guess I missed that because I tend to pay less attentions to joe's post's than mikes. No offence, I appreciate both of you being on the forum but it seems that joe post's a little too hastily the odd time.

Mike seems to be the man with the proper answers.

3. The Pat Pending referred to on the AC freewheel refers not to the removal system but to the arrangement of the pawls and ratchets. As far as I can see the Patent has never been granted although I could be wrong there.

I am not prepared to make any comments or claims about who was the prime designer of this removal method , firstly because I don't know and secondly I don't really care. I do know however that we designed ours independently of AC racing and were not even aware of that companies existence when we lodged our design registration application.

I furthermore know that it does not matter how many teeth you knock out, if it is still basically a 20 tooth spline system.

surely the whole point of patenting something is it cant be allready in the public domain ? In which case you shouldnt have got the patent anyway (and if AC can prove their design existed first then the patent goes away ?)? I dont really care that much either way... but a wee question ...

Is the patent for only that specific tool ie bb tool spline system ? or is it ANY spline system ?

Edited by manuel

The AC design is subtly different to the Tensile design, to be fair. Like the freewheel body 'n' shit is different (Not refering to the pawl/ratchet mechanism, I mean the physical thing). Onza/Tensile still put in a lot of work making sure the freewheel's design was sorted, doing a lot of prototyping, etc., so they still put in the leg-work for the 20-spline-removal, 60-click freewheel as we know it. It's not like they just copied the AC freewheel, whereas the one in Tim's post is literally identical to one of the pre-production samples I had from Onza way back when, apart from it's missing some teeth.

lol, I guess I missed that because I tend to pay less attentions to joe's post's than mikes. No offence, I appreciate both of you being on the forum but it seems that joe post's a little too hastily the odd time.

Mike seems to be the man with the proper answers.

:) No offense taken, I am a bit hasty at times. I do a lot of the day to day runnings of Onza and shoot from the hip a bit to often. Dads Post are usually flawless where mine can be a little stoop. Like now, I'm writing this with a phone in between shoulder and ear talking some freight company about lost shipments.....yay.

First of all, we don't have a patent on the freewheel removal system, it is a Registered Design. There is a very clear and distinct difference.

Secondly, AC Racing patented their pawl and ratchet system for producing a 15 tooth freewheel on a standard hub thread, not their freewheel removal system.

ok thats cleared things up a little ....

but,<h3></h3>

What is a registered design? A registered design is a monopoly right for the appearance of the whole or part of a product, resulting particularly from the features of lines, contours, colours, shape, texture and materials of a product or its ornamentation.

Limits of design registration

You can't register designs concerned with how a product works and there are limitations in applying a design to the interior of a product. If you've invented an innovative product you may be able to apply for a patent. For more information see our guide on how to get patent protection for your business.

so does that imply anyone can use a splined removal as long as they make it look different (bit like this one ?) ? I know the whole freewheel looks the same overal except those couple of teeth, so is that how you will nail them this time ? (this isnt onza bashing this is genuine interest for law and protection of ideas ... (as this is a blatent rip !!))

:) No offense taken, I am a bit hasty at times. I do a lot of the day to day runnings of Onza and shoot from the hip a bit to often.

Hence why Onza can be seen at times as unprofessional and childish, because when people antagonise you, you bite, which is understandable, it's very hard to take criticism and not get arsey with people in response.