Freewheel Fun

Tim/Trialsin USA

I'd imagine Mike Poyzer's already on the phone, haha.

But yeah, looks identical to the pre-production Tensile proto I had in that finish, 'cept that's got the partially missing, "Hopefully this makes it legal" missing parts of the extractor tabs...

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen on here.

And this is trials-forum.

TRIALS-FORUM!

I hope they get shot down by the patent office.

Edited by JT!

You're going to get shafted if you try to market that here, Onza managed to stop the Echo freewheel being sold I believe, and that was 72 EP, the only thing that Deng copied was the method of removal.

I bet if we were to open that up, they would look identical.

there not just gonna make it for a laugh are they

I mean it does not have a brand on it and Tim does not state that he will be bringing out under one of his names. And the "Just when you thought it was safe" Uh? Just don't get it. Sorry, Will have to wait for Tim to explain some more.

Plazmatic freewheel? Sounds cool.

I think the Echo freewheels got discontinued because of their unreliable characteristics. But if they were shut down for the removal spline reason, then that is oh so very spiteful of Onza to be totally honest. Heck... it's a freakin' removal spline, nothing revolutionary, and something that the Japanese have used for their Bottom Brackets for decades.

Plazmatic freewheel? Sounds cool.

I think the Echo freewheels got discontinued because of their unreliable characteristics. But if they were shut down for the removal spline reason, then that is oh so very spiteful of Onza to be totally honest. Heck... it's a freakin' removal spline, nothing revolutionary, and something that the Japanese have used for their Bottom Brackets for decades.

Its called business, I mean if you come up with an idea and then you want to protect it. What spiteful about that? So Chris King are being spiteful if we brought out a hub using their mechanism and then they tried to stop it?

Edited by Joe@Onza

I always thought Onza were a bit harsh on that one, true it was your idea, but using a tool that everyone already has for their BBs to remove the freewheel should be allowed on other freewheels if you ask me.

This plazzy one is a bit much though, it's a cheap, unsealed, 60 click freewheel that has the lockring next the the BB, that looks identical to apart from it's had some of the teeth for the tool filed off, and the paintwork on the locking sanded off.

I always thought Onza were a bit harsh on that one, true it was your idea, but using a tool that everyone already has for their BBs to remove the freewheel should be allowed on other freewheels if you ask me.

This plazzy one is a bit much though, it's a cheap, unsealed, 60 click freewheel that has the lockring next the the BB, that looks identical to apart from it's had some of the teeth for the tool filed off, and the paintwork on the locking sanded off.

This is a false fact.

Also the words hardy har har har spring to mind. I can see this being a fun thread.

Edit. AC-free-wheel.jpg

If only I could whistle.

Edited by Anal_Teflon

Its called business, I mean if you come up with an idea and then you want to protect it. What spiteful about that? So Chris King are being spiteful if we brought out a hub using their mechanism and then they tried to stop it?

Well I believe that the BB tool used in the Tensile freewheel was originally made by Shimano, surely they could say that their tool/BB could only be for their own Shimano BB's, and that no-one could replicate this design into their own bottom bracket or freewheel?

This is a false fact.

How are you able to make this bold statement.

1. I don't know how long the AC freewheel has been around but I saw a picture of it for the first time fairly recently. I know that we have been working on development of ours since the Taipei show in 2001 and preliminary sketches were there in 2002.

2. Our design registration was applied for in 2004 with photographs of the freewheel.

3. The Pat Pending referred to on the AC freewheel refers not to the removal system but to the arrangement of the pawls and ratchets. As far as I can see the Patent has never been granted although I could be wrong there.

I am not prepared to make any comments or claims about who was the prime designer of this removal method , firstly because I don't know and secondly I don't really care. I do know however that we designed ours independently of AC racing and were not even aware of that companies existence when we lodged our design registration application.

I furthermore know that it does not matter how many teeth you knock out, if it is still basically a 20 tooth spline system.

I always thought Onza were a bit harsh on that one

Not really, they got the patent and produced the freehweel. And is a feature of there freehweel which makes it what it is and one that has made it sell like it is. Its called business and is what you would proberly do i the position.

Im guessing the freewheel has been left with no brand marking on so that it will be harder for onza to stop the production of it or if they do it won't be before they hit the shelves.

Onza must have relised that people would try copying the spline interface but copying the whole freewheel with what looks nearly indentical is going to far i think and unless it retails at a superb price it won't suceed as people will pay for the tnesile brand and fact you can buy parts seperate and good warrentie.

Well I believe that the BB tool used in the Tensile freewheel was originally made by Shimano, surely they could say that their tool/BB could only be for their own Shimano BB's, and that no-one could replicate this design into their own bottom bracket or freewheel?

Obviously that isnt the case, may be shimano never patented it, unless you patented it people can and will copy no matter if you say dont do. As far as im aware onzas patent is on the interface not on the tool used so it doesnt matter if the tools made buy shimano as its only the interface on the freewheel that is being used and is patented.