Why Are Magura's So Crap?

J Trials 31

I can't never get em right. I have to bleed them all the time. Never have the right fluid to bleed them in. Needing new pads all the time. Can't align the pads. The list keeps going!

I never do work on my bike, it's just my Maggies that I have to work on. Recently got a front Hope. Have never worked on it except for putting it on. So why does almost everybody use Maguras? I might go to V's soon. Would go rear disc, but that will be a ton more expensive. Does everybody else have so much trouble with Maguras? Or is it just me somehow getting all the crap. I almost never get to ride anymore cause my rear brake don't work right or at all!

No, I can finally bleed them and set them up fine, but it just takes so long!! Also, ran out of Blood the other day. Ran to the store and grabbed some mineral oil. Definitely not the same stuff! Brake practically won't work now. Anybody know if the thickness or something is different. Just wish you could get Blood anywhere. Oh, and just got my stupid TPA stuck again!

I have some sort of Shimano v-brakes? Do you think they might work good with some good pads? Not sure what they are, just know they are Shimanos. Possibly XT's?

Vincent Hermance, Benito Ros, Kenny Belaey, all using a Magura on the back...

TRA, with what I'm pretty sure is a Magura on the back...

Tunni, with a Magura on the back throughout, and on the front at some points...

And so on.

EDIT: Just bleed it with water? If the temps are getting near freezing, and a little anti-freeze to it, like you would add into the water in a car. That stops it from freezing up. Just empty the system out totally, if you can blow through it with an air hose/track pump all the better, but just bleed it as standard with water and you'll be fine. It's virtually free, and works fine, and feels way better than standard Magura oil.

Sure, but them guys are freikin ace! Some of those guys probably don't even setup their own bikes! (Talking about the Koxx team, Kenny Belaey and such). And doesn't water mess up your seals? I can't afford to buy new stuff and parts all the time. That's why I have such a hard time in this sport. No monies! Saved up for years to get what I thought was an ace bike. And it is except for no rear disc mount, rear disc hub, using a maggie. I'm kind of fed up using the brake, but I will have to continue trying to get it to work right. For the sake of money.

No, I can finally bleed them and set them up fine, but it just takes so long!! Also, ran out of Blood the other day. Ran to the store and grabbed some mineral oil. Definitely not the same stuff! Brake practically won't work now. Anybody know if the thickness or something is different. Just wish you could get Blood anywhere. Oh, and just got my stupid TPA stuck again!

I have some sort of Shimano v-brakes? Do you think they might work good with some good pads? Not sure what they are, just know they are Shimanos. Possibly XT's?

Replace magura oil with water. bleeding them takes me 5 minutes at the most - without any equipment other than 2 allen keys and a sink full of clean, cold water. TPAS can be bodged with a screw and work better that way.

No, water doesn't mess up the seals.

What I was getting at is that the brakes obviously aren't "crap" if they've been the brake of choice for probably more than a decade in trials.

Alright, yeah I'll give you that, but don't think a change in them is long due? They haven't even changed the levers in 5 years. And the slave cylinders and such have never been changed.

Can anyone confirm they have no problems using water? Just seems crazy. And my dad won't never believe it, probably won't allow me to. :-

Alright, yeah I'll give you that, but don't think a change in them is long due? They haven't even changed the levers in 5 years. And the slave cylinders and such have never been changed.

Can anyone confirm they have no problems using water? Just seems crazy. And my dad won't never believe it, probably won't allow me to. :-

Seriously I would estimate 80% of the forum use water - for me it's such a better feel.

And as mentioned perhaps a new magura or just taking it all apart and cleaning any crap from around the seals. Using water allows you to pump lots of it through the system cleaning it of any crap.

I have never heard of anybody having a problem with a water bleed.

There are over 100 reviews questions and topics about how and why to do it on TF.

Search and find loads of them, then let you dad read them

Water in a magura is fine, doesnt damage seals makes the brake feel more responsive. Water in a dengura = no no, rots the seals, makes the brake leak etc (this way the old dengura, not sure about the new ones).

It doesn't rot the seals 'edit: I think', it's just a bad design like the old RB levers, it's not tight enough. I think the problem is the piston being so large but don't quote me on that because I know shit all about them. Also I think the seals are avaliable from heatsink.

Edited by froggy