Why Are Magura's So Crap?

J Trials 31

Alright, yeah I'll give you that, but don't think a change in them is long due? They haven't even changed the levers in 5 years. And the slave cylinders and such have never been changed.

Can anyone confirm they have no problems using water? Just seems crazy. And my dad won't never believe it, probably won't allow me to. :-

05 Maggie lever? 2008-2005 = 3?

But seriously, magura's are amazing brakes aslong as you have them set up right. For example;

My back brake: Good bleed, good set of pads, set up square to the rim - Works f**king amazingly, best brake I've ever used by far.

My front brake: Shit bleed, Pads are worn at an angle and are not square to the rim - Works shite. This is only due to lazyness from myself though!

So yeah, spend some time setting your brake up properly and your problems will be gone.

I'd buy SD7 arms (£15 on 'Chain reaction cycles'),

an SD7 lever (£13 for a set on 'Cycle Surgery'),

Clarkes cable (£4 from Tarty)

Then some Plazmatic CRV's or Rock blues off Tarty (£19), and run them on a light grind...

Would be epic!!

And would only cost £50 brand new - you could proberly picck that up for around 20-30 pound second hand off here ;)

I'd buy SD7 arms (£15 on 'Chain reaction cycles'),

an SD7 lever (£13 for a set on 'Cycle Surgery'),

Clarkes cable (£4 from Tarty)

Then some Plazmatic CRV's or Rock blues off Tarty (£19), and run them on a light grind...

Would be epic!!

And would only cost £50 brand new - you could proberly picck that up for around 20-30 pound second hand off here ;)

+ Heatsink adaptors at £29 bringing the total to just under £80 for a brake that feels like shit.

Magura + water + koxx pads = winner. End of story.

2 years running little adjustment every 4-5 months to move the cylinder in, no probs works a treat and a light grind 2-3 months

Rim- Try-all 19" at least 10 grinds on it now

Brake- Magura 05

Pads- Coust in CNC backings

Brake booster- Try-all 2 bolt

Brake lever- Adamant now a 4 finger

Brake fluid- Anti freeze (bled in a bucket with syringe )

Mounts - Magura

was out in the rain the other day and it still howels in fact it felt better so going to wash my rim regulary to improve it

and i find to set it up take the tyre off, mount the rim put a penny or something slim and put it between the rim and pad, square the pads up and tighten and to move it in closer loosen the mounts slightly (not too much that the move freely) and chap them in slightly with a hammer no probs and the less you adjust them the better they will bed in

I still think a vee feels nicer :rolleyes:

As long as you work on it every 5 minutes :P

I don't mind Vees or Maguras, neither are crap, the performance just depends on the tweaks/additions you make to the brake and your ability to set it up!

Generally I find:

Maguras to have better bite, Vees to have better hold.

Maguras less maintenance, Vees easier to fit.

Maguras more choice of pads, Vees a better choice of arms/lever/cable.

You just have to set either up well and use the 'positives' of each type of brake to your advantage (Y)

Edit: Hudson shut up! :P You're like a broken bloody record, haha.

+ Heatsink adaptors at £29 bringing the total to just under £80 for a brake that feels like shit.

Magura + water + koxx pads = winner. End of story.

No! for a brake that actually works and doesnt leak everytime you knock the crossover and actually holds your weigth when on the endge of a rock.

Well set up vee rules, kicks magura and shitty disks arse.

Maybe you need to look at either your riding technique (land ontop of objects, not on the edge)

I argue that all the time and no one listens to me :(

Ok, that was confusing. So let me get this straight. Water is ok in Magura's. Crap in old Dengura's, and ok in new Denguras? Really just want to know if it's in an 05' 06' Maggie, cause I think that's what I got.

An 05 spec maggie looks like this http://www.simplythebike.co.uk/images/Magu..._hs33_lever.jpg when stock (ie no deng blade)

& an 04 spec looks like this http://www.bikedock.com/custom/HS33.jpg

will that do?