Apple Or Pc?

bigamac

Apple or PC?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Apple or PC?

• Apple
    • PC
    • Both

Because they're 'cool'. I've yet to see someone with an iphone who hasn't got it out on show so everyone can see they've got an iphone... Big. Wow.

Which is another part of Apple Inc's genius.

Marketing, something Apple excel at.

Edited by Pashley26

Because they're 'cool'. I've yet to see someone with an iphone who hasn't got it out on show so everyone can see they've got an iphone... Big. Wow.

I can. Loads of the guys at work have them, and it's no big wow. Few people at Uni have them, and they're not showing them off (as Jarrod said, probably because they'd get stolen.).

iPods aren't cool. There are plenty of other MP3 units which are cooler in my opinion! :)

Edited by Hendrix

That's the other thing with apple- everyone slates Microsoft for being evil but in my mind apple are 10 times worse by making it virtually impossible to use anything but their own hardware/software/formats/white plastic things...

And the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

That's the other thing with apple- everyone slates Microsoft for being evil but in my mind apple are 10 times worse by making it virtually impossible to use anything but their own hardware/software/formats/white plastic things...

Probably because Microsoft tried to stitch them up on GUI so they are only covering there own backs.

Or you could just dual boot it?

*Nods vaguely* :mellow:

Probably because Microsoft tried to stitch them up on GUI so they are only covering there own backs.

But they're just painting themselves into a corner making it more difficult for users to do anything.

Edit: and on the legal front: "Apple claimed the "look and feel" of the Macintosh operating system, taken as a whole, was protected by copyright" Surely that's just stupid? Any kind of GUI will be copied and made a skin for another 100 programs the week after it's released. They've been playing with their one button mouses for too long if you ask me :).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

So that means for the price of a Mac, you're actually getting 2 computers, a Mac and a PC :P

And clutter up your computer with an essentially unnecessary additional OS and related files which, if you'd just had a PC like 90% of the world you wouldn't have had to! I still don't see why don't they just make white plastic PC's (running their OS if needs be) but which are user friendly, versatile and compatible with what is virtually a world standard?

Edit: Yes I do have a deep down hatred for all things mac but I would really like to understand their logic behind making their systems (deliberately) as incompatible as possible with what the majority of the world use... Please explain!!

*Nods vaguely* :mellow:

But they're just painting themselves into a corner making it more difficult for users to do anything.

Edit: and on the legal front: "Apple claimed the "look and feel" of the Macintosh operating system, taken as a whole, was protected by copyright" Surely that's just stupid? Any kind of GUI will be copied and made a skin for another 100 programs the week after it's released. They've been playing with their one button mouses for too long if you ask me :).

Word has it that when apple created the Lisa they copyrighted GUI as a whole (Accidently) but dropped the copyright immediately when Microsoft and IBM claimed it was infringing there equal business rights. *This may be bollocks but it's what I think is true so delete if necissary ?

As a business apple are exceptional, so they've got to have done something right. And as user unfriendly as you say they are without them Personal Computing might not be as accessible as it is today.

Dave, what do you do for a living, out of interest?

EDIT: Also why is it Apples fault that YOU can't set up your ID3 tags in iTunes properly, I would have thought that anyone who actually cares about listening to music would have it organised properly on their computer, so the correct artist, album and track name, in the ID3 tags, rather than just naming it "Artist - Song Name.mp3", I can't think of anything worse. I'd much rather have Artist Folder > Album Folder > Track Name.mp3. All my music is in MP3 format, and I've had an iPod for the last 4 years, and it's always been fine, so I don't know what you're complaining about...

Edited by Mark King

They ARE user friendly. In my opinion more user friendly than windows...

Ok, maybe if you're used to them they're user friendly, but you can't argue that due to the way the company works they are inherently not versatile or compatible?

Dave, what do you do for a living, out of interest?

I'm a 'Research Engineer' (postgrad on better money) developing the vehicle aerodynamics for a major rally team...

Ok, maybe if you're used to them they're user friendly, but you can't argue that due to the way the company works they are inherently not versatile or compatible?

I hadn't used one before I went to Uni, got on with them straight away, and within a day knew everything I needed to know. Nothing has gone wrong on my MacPro or iMac. I must also say, I haven't had to turn my apples off nearly as much as my pc's. ;)

EDIT: Also why is it Apples fault that YOU can't set up your ID3 tags in iTunes properly, I would have thought that anyone who actually cares about listening to music would have it organised properly on their computer, so the correct artist, album and track name, in the ID3 tags, rather than just naming it "Artist - Song Name.mp3", I can't think of anything worse. I'd much rather have Artist Folder > Album Folder > Track Name.mp3. All my music is in MP3 format, and I've had an iPod for the last 4 years, and it's always been fine, so I don't know what you're complaining about...

All my music is in Artist Folder > Album Folder > and almost all of it then has the correct song name etc. So on the hard drive it's fine but to put it on my ipod I have to import it into itunes (which fannies round converting things and god knows what) and then if you look on the ipod itself, itunes has usefully renamed every single mp3 as 3RF65HHJ.mp3 or whatever it turns it into which is about as useful as a chocolate hairdryer.

Which is another part of Apple Inc's genius.

Marketing, something Apple excel at.

The only thing Apple excels at, and the only reason they're still around.

Or you could just dual boot it?

Why the f**k should I dual boot though? Why can't apple just allow it to happen? You're doing a pretty poor job of defending Apples policy here by saying that you can 'just' dual boot. So that basically every time I want to log onto MSN messenger I have to shut down the computer and boot into Windows. What a joke. Apple should just allow it and stop being awkward.

Open platforms are the way forward, where everyone can contribute programs (in windows) and even to the OS (linux). It means these platforms stay at the leading edge of what computers can do, keeping them as useful as they can be. Apple will soon find themselves falling behind Windows and Linux with only the Apple devs able to write stuff for the platform.

Compatible with what? There hasn't been a peripheral I've tried to plug into my computer in the last 5 years that hasn't worked, be it an external hard drive, video camera, digital camera, usb stick, etc. I don't see what else you would really need to plug in?

It seems to me that you've used a handful of macs for a few minutes at a times and all of a sudden they're all shit, but thats because you're used to a PC. I can guarantee that you weren't able to grab a keyboard and mouse for the first time on a PC and be able to do everything you can now? That's like learning to drive a car, then getting in a plane and being like THIS IS SHIT IT DOESNT GO. I'm not saying that Macs are as complicated as planes, but they are slightly different to PCs in the way that they work. If you were given a Mac to use for a week, I bet you wouldn't come back shouting ITS SHIT ITS SHIT, you would probably actually like it. All my friends who were PC users who now use Macs all say they would never go back to PCs, and that's probably around 25-30 people, especially people in my graphics class.

I once read an article about Scott Hansen (iso50.com). He has been using PCs all of his life and dismissed Macs. He then got hold of a cracked copy of Leopard and setup his PC to dual boot into OS X, he then said that after getting used to the GUI and the way the OS works, that his next computer would be a Mac, surely that has to say something about them? Also the fact that Apples notebook market share keeps rising, if they were that shit, that wouldn't happen.

You shouldn't have to, which is why there are numerous applications on OS X which allow MSN connectivity, four that spring to mind are MSN Messenger for Mac, Adium, aMSN, Mercury Messenger. Also you can't blame Apple for the fact that Microsoft still haven't been able to get webcam compatibility even though they've come installed in pretty much all Apple computers for the last 3 years.

Apple falling behind? As I just said, thats why their market share keeps growing, and they keep opening more and more retail stores in cities, okay then...

Oh and there is shit loads of open source software for the Mac, infact, if you purchase Leopard, on the DVD it comes with Developer Tools, allowing ANYONE to start writing their own OS X software.

Edited by Mark King

Why the f**k should I dual boot though? Why can't apple just allow it to happen? You're doing a pretty poor job of defending Apples policy here by saying that you can 'just' dual boot. So that basically every time I want to log onto MSN messenger I have to shut down the computer and boot into Windows. What a joke. Apple should just allow it and stop being awkward.

Open platforms are the way forward, where everyone can contribute programs (in windows) and even to the OS (linux). It means these platforms stay at the leading edge of what computers can do, keeping them as useful as they can be. Apple will soon find themselves falling behind Windows and Linux with only the Apple devs able to write stuff for the platform.

MSN Messenger for Mac.

Also note; mac does allow 99.999% of file types to be used, just because you can't use a windows program to view them, doesn't mean that they're rubbish.

ermm you can use msn on mac's though...

All my music is in Artist Folder > Album Folder > and almost all of it then has the correct song name etc. So on the hard drive it's fine but to put it on my ipod I have to import it into itunes (which fannies round converting things and god knows what) and then if you look on the ipod itself, itunes has usefully renamed every single mp3 as 3RF65HHJ.mp3 or whatever it turns it into which is about as useful as a chocolate hairdryer.

Well theres something marjory wrong there then ?

Never had that and i've been using Itunes on Macs and Microsoft's for 8/9 Years IIRC.

Extreme_biker0 - Yeah, there massive influence on technological sciences advancement and advanced GUI's thats applicable to Windows and Apple have got nothing to do with it. Thats without mentioning there wireless systems which are one of the best shittest built in systems available, oh and there revolutionary online music stores pretty outstanding predictable too.

Compatible with what? There hasn't been a peripheral I've tried to plug into my computer in the last 5 years that hasn't worked, be it an external hard drive, video camera, digital camera, usb stick, etc. I don't see what else you would really need to plug in?

Nowt to do with peripherals, I'm talking software. You look for any kind of downloadable software online and it's pretty much all set up for PC. Most of the more popular stuff is probably available for mac but do apple want to make it difficult for programmers by forcing them to write two completely different programs just for a few people who use macs? Not sure if this is still the case but in a world where 99% of people use Word, although Word is available for macs the file's aren't (or didn't used to be) compatible. Genius. Again, I don't know the ins and outs but it's awkward for the sake of awkward from my point of view.

And I have used a mac for a week when I ran a wind tunnel test back in 3rd year of my undergrad. Spent the week swearing at the non intuitive way it did things (albeit being used to a PC) and the fact the bloody thing only had one mouse button. Hated it then and in my mind apple haven't made any steps forward to improve things.