Apple Or Pc?

bigamac

Apple or PC?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Apple or PC?

• Apple
    • PC
    • Both

I never thought that i would get this much of a response. :D But still... nice to know that people do like macs. I for one do. In my house there are 4 of us. Each our own mac. 2 of which have windows installed on them aswell. but i just prefere mac. espially as i am not a "gamer" person.

I've only owened my own Macs since 2003 :( wish I had used them for longer

Oh and right click... have you used an Apple computer in the last what... 2.5/3 years? Even if you still have a one button mouse you just hold control, and for laptops, you just put two fingers on the trackpad and click (you also use two fingers to scroll). Not really that much of a pain in the ass.

I've only owened my own Macs since 2003 :( wish I had used them for longer

Oh and right click... have you used an Apple computer in the last what... 2.5/3 years? Even if you still have a one button mouse you just hold control, and for laptops, you just put two fingers on the trackpad and click (you also use two fingers to scroll). Not really that much of a pain in the ass.

Why didnt they have it from the start then? Dare I say it.. they're just catching up!? Yeah it's s simpler interface, apparently, but at the end of the day it's like Brio instead of full blown Lego. It's for the retards of the world who like pretty icons for eveything, like to click around with no repercussions as to what it might f**k up, and no real control over the complex system which they are using.

While for retards it might surfice, for people with more of a brain and less of a 'creative 'talent'' it is just plain bollox.

This is not my humble opinion.

I don't like Macs because there's no right-click. :turned:

Well on the computer u can press control then click. its the right click button then. But u can also buy a "mighty mouse" which has left/right click but looks like one button. And it has a scroll that u can scroll in any direction. There very useful to be honest. Shame that there isn't everything u want on them.

I just don't like Macs. I'd go as far as saying I hate them. No real reason, they just make me angry to use and seem to spend far more time/money making them look... different (Note: not nice) than making them work any better than anything else out there. No right click winds me up something chronic.

'Oh but you can just use the apple key or buy a different mouse' I hear you cry... why the hell should I have to? Just supply the damn thing with a two button mouse to begin with! As I said, apple make me angry.

Give me a nice, simple and intuitive to use PC any day of the week.

Why didnt they have it from the start then? Dare I say it.. they're just catching up!? Yeah it's s simpler interface, apparently, but at the end of the day it's like Brio instead of full blown Lego. It's for the retards of the world who like pretty icons for eveything, like to click around with no repercussions as to what it might f**k up, and no real control over the complex system which they are using.

Because they didn't need it.

I just don't like Macs. I'd go as far as saying I hate them. No real reason, they just make me angry to use and seem to spend far more time/money making them look... different (Note: not nice) than making them work any better than anything else out there. No right click winds me up something chronic.

'Oh but you can just use the apple key or buy a different mouse' I hear you cry... why the hell should I have to? Just supply the damn thing with a two button mouse to begin with! As I said, apple make me angry.

Give me a nice, simple and intuitive to use PC any day of the week.

You don't have to, they've come with a 2 button mouse since October 2005.

Oh and if the only problem you can find with them is that "They don't come with a two button mouse" then I wouldn't have said they had that many flaws, really. People complain about the price, but I much prefer the build quality of a Mac over a PC. Most PC laptops, even high end ones come in crappy plastic cases, they weigh a ton and the battery life is awful, gimme a nice aluminium MacBook Pro any day.

While we're on the topic, new laptops from Apple on Tuesday :)

Edited by Mark King

Well I basically haven't been able to use one for more than a few minutes without wanting to throw it through the nearest window so can't really compare much else. They just seem really 'gimmicky' even the OS with it's flowy futuristic way of working is just for show and doesn't help anything except probably to slow the computer down using silly graphic-heavy stuff. Even things like the 'heartbeat' when you turn off the 'G' whatevers just seems totally pointless to me.

Do you buy a landrover or a bmw? if you live on a farm, a landrover, if you live in the suburbs, a bmw.

For general use i would get a pc. You can get a powerful pc for £100s less than the equivalent mac. MS "x" extensions will drive you round the bend if you get a mac. Im a mac user and i prefer it bt i use it for photos etc and macs are better in the long run if you suffer from dyslexia.

Word processing/powerpoint/general use = PC

Photos/Design/Publishing = Mac

Or if its an icon/docked application, just hold the button for a bit longer and the menu options come up... :)

For those who voted PC how many of you have actually used a Mac?

Then it simply depends on what you are using it for, i have a macbook which i do all my main work on and general crap i get up to, then my PC is just for gaming everynow and then, although i do run windows on my mac aswell so i get the best of both worlds.

Because they didn't need it.

You don't have to, they've come with a 2 button mouse since October 2005.

Oh and if the only problem you can find with them is that "They don't come with a two button mouse" then I wouldn't have said they had that many flaws, really. People complain about the price, but I much prefer the build quality of a Mac over a PC. Most PC laptops, even high end ones come in crappy plastic cases, they weigh a ton and the battery life is awful, gimme a nice aluminium MacBook Pro any day.

While we're on the topic, new laptops from Apple on Tuesday :)

Really hope this turns out to be true as ive been waiting for the new macbooks for months, Although I will only be happy if they are alu.

Really depends on what you do. I use a Mac as it was the norm at Art College/Uni and also Final Cut is the best off-shelf video editor you can get, much less complex than Premiere or cheaper Avid solutions. However, I've been thinking of getting a new Windows Laptop (not running Vista) to use MSN and webcams and just the normal stuff you can use on a PC that you can't on Mac's (G5's anyway) - Joost etc. Good topic.

However, I've been thinking of getting a new Windows Laptop (not running Vista) to use MSN and webcams and just the normal stuff you can use on a PC that you can't on Mac's (G5's anyway) - Joost etc.

But WHY can't apple just allow people to use 'normal stuff' like that on their own bloody machines instead of making even their fans resort to buying a damn PC as well?!! It's like if Ford made the best cars in the world but you didn't get a steering wheel with them so if you want to actually go anywhere useful you'd need to buy a Vauxhall as well. Crap example but you get the idea- apple are awkward and annoying for absolutely NO reason. itunes and the ipod is a perfect example of that.

Not had any issues with my iPod, or with iTunes.

My main issue with those are the fact that you have to use whatever format apple decide. Whatever you import it will always convert it to its own stupid format and screw around for no reason. Why you can't just drag and drop .mp3's onto an ipod like you can with any other mp3 player I'll never know. And don't get me started on whatever shitty video format you have to use on video ipods... Grr.

And don't get me started on whatever shitty video format you have to use on video ipods... Grr.

I thaught it that was one of the most simple/best parts of a Mac ? The fact that you can change most files just by changing the name.

And putting video's on Ipods is a piece of piss, just as easy as banging them onto an ordinary portable player.

Apple - Marmite computing since 1976

My main issue with those are the fact that you have to use whatever format apple decide. Whatever you import it will always convert it to its own stupid format and screw around for no reason. Why you can't just drag and drop .mp3's onto an ipod like you can with any other mp3 player I'll never know. And don't get me started on whatever shitty video format you have to use on video ipods... Grr.

Erm. I can drag and drop, and I'm pretty sure they accept MP3's? It's just advised you use AAC's.

MP4 for video, which is no biggy. :P For DIVX you need additional stuff on the iPod I think..

I know as a fact you can use winamp to put stuff on an iPod too, which also means you can choose the quality you upload too.

Edited by Hendrix

Well that was 100% not the case when I tried to stick some mpegs and divx files or whatever onto my GF's brothers nano last year. Absolute joke.

I'm not replying directly to that comment, but you've got to appreciate Apples business attitude and the way they have stuck to there goals.

The original "Apple Computer" was a wooden box ! And look where they are now ? Thats because people are different, and Apple cater for peoples different computing needs and preferences.

Look at there initial logo for instance, it was a drawing of Isaac Newton sat under an Apple tree (Which I believe is why they chose the company name, apple falls on head = gravity). Which was soon changed to an Apple with a "Byte" taken out of it and in the colours of the rainbow (Light separation by prism's another of Isaac's findings). Showing there intentions to progress sciences and push the boundaries using Isaac as there benchmark. Without Apple computing wouldn't be what it is today, so you shouldn't really be so dismissive about such a technologically innovative and genius (in marketing terms) company.

Boring or WHAT ! :lol:

Edited for a few grammatical errors.

Edited by Pashley26

Erm. I can drag and drop, and I'm pretty sure they accept MP3's? It's just advised you use AAC's.

In itunes I presume? But to get music into itunes it plays silly buggers with the file names and type and whatever else.

MP4 for video, which is no biggy. :P For DIVX you need additional stuff on the iPod I think..

MP4 isn't a 'normal' video format though is it? The world revolves around mpeg... and yup divx is a no no. However, if you get any other brand of mp3 player *goes to amazon to copy the first list he finds* can deal with "AAC (.M4A) support along with MP3, WMA, WAVE and Audible, WMV and DivX/XviD support (320x240)" and I'm guessing you simply drag them from a folder on your hard drive to a folder on the device. Now someone please tell me why the hell apple have to be such awkward bastards?

original-newton-apple-logo.gif

In itunes I presume? But to get music into itunes it plays silly buggers with the file names and type and whatever else.

MP4 isn't a 'normal' video format though is it? The world revolves around mpeg... and yup divx is a no no. However, if you get any other brand of mp3 player *goes to amazon to copy the first list he finds* can deal with "AAC (.M4A) support along with MP3, WMA, WAVE and Audible, WMV and DivX/XviD support (320x240)" and I'm guessing you simply drag them from a folder on your hard drive to a folder on the device. Now someone please tell me why the hell apple have to be such awkward bastards?

I've seen people do it drag and drop without iTunes (Although Wikipedia does say it needs a specific program to get the track on the iPod to function, but I don't think that's 100% true). I myself use Winamp or iTunes to do it as I find it a lot easier, plus I make sure all the tags are correct.

Just remember though, if iPods are so bad, and Apple are being awkward, why would 150 million iPods have been sold worldwide? ;)

Oh and to reiterate. The world doesn't revolve around MPG. It revolves around .avi as far as I remember. MPG is alright, MP4 is alright. AVI is where it's at. ;)

Edited by Hendrix