Xbmc...

Tomm

Just thought I should get this off my chest. I've been using Xbox Media Centre (XBMC) on my old xbox 1 for a number of years now, and it really is brilliant. I've got hundreds of films and TV programs on my (network) external hard drive and I can play them over the network onto my TV downstairs which is brilliant in itself. Anyway, I just updated to the latest version because it will do icons for my TV shows and generally looked a bit neater. So I enabled the library and it set to downloading all the icons for the TV shows.

After about half an hour, I wondered why it was taking so long so download a handful of icons. But then it finishes doing its stuff, and it's downloaded all the icons as expected. But it also sorted all my files into Program/Season/Episode order, and downloaded an icon for the program itself, the season DVD cover. It also downloads the episode description and picture for every single episode of all my TV programs. All automatically. Oh, and it did the same for all my films, too. f**king amazing program.

XBMC is available for PC, Mac, Linux, iTV and xbox HERE. Other media players are available.

th_xbmctvshowsrh3.png

I just tried it and it just displays my videos as a flat list. Is there a specific skin/plugin to get it to do the previews and grouping stuff?

I have no view called 'media info 2' like you.

Yeah, you have to enable the library if you've not already done that. Then in files view you need to 'set content' - I.e. tell the library which directories to scan. Then when you update the library it should sort them and download everything :)

I'm really interested in this, I have an xbox 1 downstairs that never gets used, and it would be great to play stuff from the LAN drive on the telly. How exactly does it work? Just an Ethernet cable to the switch/router? Do you need the dvd remote.

I'm really interested in this, I have an xbox 1 downstairs that never gets used, and it would be great to play stuff from the LAN drive on the telly. How exactly does it work? Just an Ethernet cable to the switch/router? Do you need the dvd remote.

On my chipped Xbox, i never needed the remote, not sure about a standard one. And yeah, you just connect it to the network, and to your TV

It means running an Ethernet cable down through the floor to the lunge, but we're going to do that anyway because my Dad's computer downstairs is on wireless, but it's rubbish in this house because of the thick walls.

So we'll do 2 at once. :P

How do you install the program on the Xbox? Or do you just run it from a disc like a game? I know absolutely nothing about them. :P

Just thought I should get this off my chest. I've been using Xbox Media Centre (XBMC) on my old xbox 1 for a number of years now, and it really is brilliant. I've got hundreds of films and TV programs on my (network) external hard drive and I can play them over the network onto my TV downstairs which is brilliant in itself. Anyway, I just updated to the latest version because it will do icons for my TV shows and generally looked a bit neater. So I enabled the library and it set to downloading all the icons for the TV shows.

After about half an hour, I wondered why it was taking so long so download a handful of icons. But then it finishes doing its stuff, and it's downloaded all the icons as expected. But it also sorted all my files into Program/Season/Episode order, and downloaded an icon for the program itself, the season DVD cover. It also downloads the episode description and picture for every single episode of all my TV programs. All automatically. Oh, and it did the same for all my films, too. f**king amazing program.

XBMC is available for PC, Mac, Linux, iTV and xbox HERE. Other media players are available.

th_xbmctvshowsrh3.png

I'd like to second all of this. XBMC is possibly the best thing ever.

It means running an Ethernet cable down through the floor to the lunge, but we're going to do that anyway because my Dad's computer downstairs is on wireless, but it's rubbish in this house because of the thick walls.

So we'll do 2 at once. :P

How do you install the program on the Xbox? Or do you just run it from a disc like a game? I know absolutely nothing about them. :P

On mine, it was chipped, and replaced the xbox dash. However im fairly sure now you basically stick the program on the xbox HDD via your pc. (xbox HDD out, copy the files over to it, back in) but im not 100% on that.

Theres another way which you can do using certain save game files and an action replay file transfer kit. To open it up to allow you to install XBMC on it.

On mine, it was chipped, and replaced the xbox dash. However im fairly sure now you basically stick the program on the xbox HDD via your pc. (xbox HDD out, copy the files over to it, back in) but im not 100% on that.

Theres another way which you can do using certain save game files and an action replay file transfer kit. To open it up to allow you to install XBMC on it.

You just ftp to it from your PC. Pretty easy once your xbox is chipped/softmodded.

The HD component cable is also excellent, you can enable all the hd stuff and the xbmc menu looks great. ooooh.. xbmc.

That's the ideal setup. Like you, I already had the network set up with a bunch of files, so you only need to add the xbox. Yup, it just plugs in via an ethernet cable - or I suppose you could use a wireless bridge if you didn't want to use cables. But my computer doesn't stream everything perfectly on wifi, so cables definitely preferable anyway.

You don't need the remote but it works really well, saves having cables running across the floor. One cool thing about XBMC is that it allows you to play DVDs without buying the remote. To be honest I never use the xbox for games any more so I only ever use the remote on XBMC. I think I bought the remote for about £5 second hand, definitely worth it.

To install it, unfortunately it's not just sticking a CD in the drive. It's not too hard though :) There are at least two ways - modchips and softmods. I've used modchips on two xboxes and it works well, but you have to take the xbox apart and do some soldering. The chips are around £15-20 from HERE (the cheap one is fine). The other option is to softmod it which I don't know too much about, but that's what Fishfingerer is talking about - it's to do with exploiting a game save. This is better because you don't have to open the xbox or do any soldering, but you can 'brick' the xbox whilst doing it (If you brick it, I'm fairly sure you can buy a modchip and recover it).

Then once you've done the chip/softmod, you need to install XBMC onto the xbox's hard drive. I suppose you might be able to run it from a disk but that's a bit silly really. When I did it, you had to install it over FTP - I.e. from your computer you can log into the xbox and copy files over to it. But you can probably get install discs that will do this for you, google it?

Useful links:

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

Xbox chips/mod/spftware forum: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?c=1...110,104,111,113

I've had a look around at the various methods, some involve having to have a specific game and an action replay chip box thingy. I'd much rather do ftp, because I've used it before.

It looks like something I'll look into in the future, at the moment I just want to get my new switch and get the network set up and working properly. Once that's sorted I may well look into this. Normally I just watch stuff up here though, I reckon once I've got it set up I wouldn't use it much.

Also, what about the videos themselves? All the ones I have are about 700x400px at the most, is this good enough quality for our tv? (32" widescreen CRT late 1990s jobby)

Also, what about the videos themselves? All the ones I have are about 700x400px at the most, is this good enough quality for our tv? (32" widescreen CRT late 1990s jobby)

Yeah, normal PAL widescreen resolution is something like 720x576 so your video files are pretty much the right size anyway. Also, CRTs are good at scaling up to the correct resolution anyway, much better than LCDs.

My XBMC gets used at least 2-3 times a day (by me and housemates).

It certainly sounds like a good idea, I might well look into this in the future.

Are there any alternatives though? Basically the same thing but something I can just plug into the network and use it rather than having to modify the xbox.

It certainly sounds like a good idea, I might well look into this in the future.

Are there any alternatives though? Basically the same thing but something I can just plug into the network and use it rather than having to modify the xbox.

Something like this - http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7977460/West...er/Product.html

Or an xbox 360, or PS3 (I think). But XBMC will be muuuuch better than anything else. Possibly my favourite feature is being able to adjust the audio delay so you can get lipsync sorted (if you have an out of sync divx) - plus its so easy to do.

Regarding having a remote, I prefer to use a proper remote control, you can adjust the volume with it and skip to sections of a film easier.. wireless though, like.

Yeah, you have to enable the library if you've not already done that. Then in files view you need to 'set content' - I.e. tell the library which directories to scan. Then when you update the library it should sort them and download everything :)

Right i got that working. But it gives up after the first folder in my tv shows directory (lots of subdirs for each series) so it only displays the first subfolder.

Any ideas?

Right i got that working. But it gives up after the first folder in my tv shows directory (lots of subdirs for each series) so it only displays the first subfolder.

Any ideas?

Did you set the content to be 'TV Shows' rather than movies? Also there's an option to scan folders recursively which I believe is enabled by default for TV shows.

The other thing that can be a problem is if your file naming conventions aren't quite right. You have to have a separate folder for each TV show and make sure that all the file names contain the name of the program, and the season / episode number. Slightly annoyingly it doesn't understand folder hierarchies properly (there are ways to make it recognise this but I found it easier just to rename the files)

E.g.

Tv/The Simpsons/Season 5/episode 1.avi won't work (because the file name doesn't have the TV show name, or the season number)

Tv/The Simpsons/Season 5/Simpsons - S05E01.avi will work

Tv/The Simpsons/Simpsons - S05E01.avi will work

Tv/The Simpsons/Simpsons - 0501.avi will work

The streaming from a 360 is rubbish by comparison. Firstly, you HAVE to have a windows MCE/Vista PC on all the time and secondly it's really fussy about file formats, hardly anything I own will play properly. I just gave up and I'm using the old xbox for everything still.

The streaming from a 360 is rubbish by comparison. Firstly, you HAVE to have a windows MCE/Vista PC on all the time and secondly it's really fussy about file formats, hardly anything I own will play properly. I just gave up and I'm using the old xbox for everything still.

Its not that bad no more i dont think, granted i dont have a network drive, but think it works just with a network drive these days, no need to have the PC on(i use a none MCE version of XP by the way), and since the last update, it doesnt appear to have any issues playing anything.

Its not that bad no more i dont think, granted i dont have a network drive, but think it works just with a network drive these days, no need to have the PC on(i use a none MCE version of XP by the way), and since the last update, it doesnt appear to have any issues playing anything.

Hmm, apparently it can work with my network drive, but not via 'normal' file sharing (SMB) so I would have to install some extra stuff on my drive which is really hard 'cos it runs off Linux and is therefore a real pain in the arse. So yeah you're right, it can be done. But it still wouldn't play half my files :P

Cracked it thanks Tomm it doesnt like folders named like so...

Scrubs - Season 5

Scrubs - Season 6

Scrubs - Season 7

My Name Is Earl - Season 4

etc etc

Yeah, you have to have a single folder for each individual TV show.

you can play 99% of stuff using the xbox video player rather than WMC, they added a shitload of codecs when they updated it to the NXE.

so please can someone explain this to an old man who hasn't seen tomorrows world in a long time..

do i need to chip my x box one? if so is it easy?

i heard about this and i'm moving house very soon and thought this might be a cool thing to do...

kenny