Post A Picture Of Your Guitar

davey1991

Not really, I highly doubt you'll get more than that on eBay. Even if it does sell for say £80 you've got fees to pay and maybe sending if it's not for collection. Best bet is probably your local gumtree and have someone come collect.

• Like 1

Got this today, perhaps the first and only one in the UK so far? But it's no good. Very poor fit and finish, fret work is atrocious, dents and scratches in several places. Not from transit either, it's from some retard at the factory. I was expecting a few little things but this is just a piss take.

Gonna see if I can have it sent back to Japan for an exchange or some partial refund. So bummed.

IMG_0015.jpg

That sucks man, hate it when you look foward to something then it's just not what you had built up in your mind.

I managed to pick up some custom shop Fat 50's pickups last week, so I've set them up with a full CTS 250k pot set/0.47 cap and cloth wiring throughout. Got a real quack now but with bags of top end, I love it!

Fitted them all into a new mint green scratchplate, looks pretty awesome against the LPB in my opinion..

image.jpg1_zpspedh9267.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More strats, fewer teles!

I sure would like a 7 string. Wonder how much they are over here.

Not sure what Korea is like compared to Japanese guitar market but I always hear second hand guitars in Japan goes for peanuts compared to say UK/USA. So probably best go have a look at second hand ones and you may find yourself some awesome deals.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks bought this for me yesterday as a bit of a treat , it's too nice. It's immaculate for a preowned too!

IMAG1063_zpsrgmi9hqk.jpg

USA special, candy red maple neck with 70's headstock, Texas specials and grease bucket circuit. I really like it, I restrung it last night with fender pure nickels .09s and its a tone machine! Love it.

• Like 1

A while ago I bought a Mexican 60th anniversary Strat to build to sell, it came and played so lovely, it's a soft v neck with a nice flat board, so I put it away till I decided what to do with it. More specifically this one..

image.jpg1_zpsw948rstd.jpg

My business has recently took a bit of a turn and I've been quite focused on customisation as well as just paint jobs, I recently rewired a tele to esquire specs as well as a few other smaller mods. That guy went away and told his friend and now I've got 3 off the back of that and 2 more booked in. I've decided to make a go in that scene so I've decided to keep the strat and build it as a demo guitar as well as the few other bits I've done on my own guitars. I've caught up on a lot of work today so I thought I'd spend my time on my own projects..

I've decided to try build inspired by the 2009 Clapton strat in Daphne blue with slight relic work, finished in Nitro but minus the wiring and revert to the 50s 3 way switch setup, possibly including the mid boost circuitry. First step was to strip the body back to bare to begin the thinskin nitro..

IMAG1089_zpsdzpa6h3s.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like this body was originally intended for something else, as underneath the candy red I found surf green and burgundy mist, all in poly! To get to the Fender sanding sealer pictured it took me 5 hours of paint stripping, hand sanding and scrapping, after that picture, it took another 2 hours to get to bare timber. Cheers Fender.

After this I hand sanded through to 500, applied 2 coats of tinted nitro sealer then hand sanded upto 800. Then I applied 4 coats of Daphne blue..

IMAG1090_zpstjbsgxb8.jpg

I'm really proud of the finish, it's greener in person and looks gorgeous. I can't wait to buff on Monday! I've bought a set of strong stainless trem springs, nickel Kluson split shaft tuners, Custom shop '54 pickups, I'm sticking with a 3ply pickguard as I don't care for single ply, 3 way switch, copper shielding and a load of cloth wax wire. I'm going to attempt a bone nut too, I'm happy to install but I'm not keen on string setting so I might ask Andy Farell to get in on tag one. I'm really looking foward to getting it back together, I hope it sounds as good as it does in my head! Hopefully get some attention amongst my other creations at the odd guitar shows I'll be attending :)

• Like 2

Builds coming on well..

IMAG1102_zpsietqhokv.jpg

Buffed, neck pocket sanded out and neck sanded for completely flat contact, wood on wood too which should help. Neck screw holes enlarged too so the neck is pulled to the body too, rather than sitting on it.

IMAG1103_zpsjhufecr2.jpg

Copper sheilding, just need to solder all pieces together now to achieve full insulation. I'd heard a few people say the '54 custom shop pickups can be abit noisey so I thought it might help out. It was done thing I just wanted to have a go at too.

IMAG1104_zpsmwlpf1bu.jpg

Blocked trem with a slither of maple, 5 heavy duty trem springs for stability and hopefully fatten the bottom end up.

IMAG1105_zps2dnsqlfr.jpg

Vintage Klusons, unfortunately they supplied 8mm bushes rather than 10mm so I was left abit stuck of building it :(. Electrics are landing tomorow so I'll get my scratchplate built tomorow and hopefully get it strung!

Why do you need 5 springs if you've blocked off the trem? The string tension will pull the trem block into the maple block so you don't even need any springs. :blink:

I have a new compressor coming next week so I can start finishing off the surf green body. Hopefully the arcylic lacquer will be okay to use.

Edited by weirdoku

Springs add to the tone of a strat, if you remove the trem cover and just play you can hear them chime away. I've just finished it anyway and I Love it to bits, it's such a jangly beast!

IMAG1106_zpsmag3deph.jpg

IMAG1107_zpsw6j0cv9c.jpg

IMAG1109_zpsmn2xme4a.jpg

Anyone with a bolt on I'd 100% recommend stripping the neck pocket out completely as with the neck heel, the resonance on this thing is incredible! Drill out your neck holes too so the screws clamp the body down properly, you can feel everything which was a big suprise coming from my poly strat/tele. It sounds absolutely gorgeous, really old rock'n'roll vibe kicking off. These '54 custom shop pickups are winners too, the mids are super crisp and the top end just breaks a tiny bit, sounds a treat singing along to some Chuck Berry or Little Richard! Really really pleased with how it's turned out,just on the look out for some fender pure vintage 250k pots as I love those in my Tele, they roll off across the whole range rather than 10-7.

Haha, I was considering a reply last night but didn't really bother. Just enjoy showing what I've built/thought it might interest others.

Strats sound like strats due to the sprung tremolo and massive cavities, teles sound like teles due to the through body strings and bridge setup. 'Proper' hardtail strats don't interest me in the slightest, they don't have that ring of a sprung tremolo whereas a blocked trem still maintains those features but non of the tuning issues. The whole package needs to be there otherwise it just lacks that definitive sound of a strat.

Acrylic lacquer is pointless on a body, it offers all the drawbacks of nitro with the yellowing, crazing and poor protection with no upshots. Unless you polish it weekly it'll be flat as hell in a month and you'll eventually polish through. Either use nitro if your dead set on 1k or go full fat and use a 2k product for better protection, build and material strength.

Don't you play some sort of 48 string monstrosity?

Apologies if not, but if I haven't got that wrong you're not really in a place to ask condescending questions about tone.

I was asking a serious question. If adding springs adds a certain tone to a guitar and I don't know what it is I'm going to ask what that tone is. But at a guess I assume Booth means it adds to the twang of a strat.

And yes you have got it wrong, 41 strings too many currently. But give it some time, you'll be correct in the not too distant future. 9 strings are coming into fashion at the moment.

Acrylic lacquer is pointless on a body, it offers all the drawbacks of nitro with the yellowing, crazing and poor protection with no upshots. Unless you polish it weekly it'll be flat as hell in a month and you'll eventually polish through. Either use nitro if your dead set on 1k or go full fat and use a 2k product for better protection, build and material strength.

I thought it was just nitro that yellows over time and not acrylic? I've sprayed some plastic models with this 2 part acrylic lacquer (on acyrlic paint, guitar body in question also has acrylic paint) I have and it hasn't yellowed for the last 3 years. Or is that too short of time for it to yellow?

Edited by weirdoku

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Im not sure if this video will work, but we'll try.

Hopefully playing some tunes with these dudes in a few weeks, f**king ace band - pretty frequently on 6 music and stuff, but in all the years they've been together I think they've played one gig and have a whole 74 likes on facebook.

This gon' be fun. 

I played a friends PRS SE custom 24 at the weekend, I now want a custom 24. The feel was so nice and balanced, action was beautiful too. So light to the touch but you could really get to grips with it quickly, sort of thing that felt so normal within minutes.