Post A Picture Of Your Guitar

davey1991

After spending ages searching for the right bass, I found one.

I played an LTD 5 string, looked and sounded amazing, only issue was that I didn't like the finger spacing. Too close for me.

I ended up buying a more expensive bass anyway. Decided on a 2014 Mexican Fender Jazz 5 string with active pick ups. Absolutely gorgeous to play, hear and look out. I seriously could not be happier with that I have. Only downside that I can think if is that it doesn't have the standard Jazz tuning pegs (N) but I think I'll let it slide ha.

Now I just need to wait for my strings to arrive from Circle K so I can set it up in the right tuning, .150 for the A and .182 for the low E..... Lol.

281ubz5.jpg

Guitar tutor is trying to get me to play this beast at full speed. Headache.

In other news I've been given an ibanez GIO to paint by a previous customer. Pretty stoked with that!

If you think of it in terms of strumming it's not that fast. He's just muting all the strings he's not striking and will be keeping a constant stemming motion throughout. From what I can hear apart from the odd little blues fill the tempo doesn't really change. Once you're locked in to the beat/groove you'll be good to go. It's a lot like Miserlou - it's keeping with the constant, steady beat that makes it.

Just out of interest, do you like this sort of stuff? Just wondered if you'd wanted to play it, or you're being instructed to for educational purposes? I only ask as I originally had guitar lessons for a good while but soon decided I didn't want to spend money learning to play songs and instead used the lessons to learn music theory so that I could construct my own music and better understand stuff that's been recorded already. I think it's important to learn as much as you can so you're well versed then spend some time trying to forget it so it's almost subconscious. Stick to it too rigidly and you'll be a boring ass player - at the other end of the spectrum SRV couldn't ready music and didn't know what he was doing in terms of intervals and chord progressions and it didn't hold him back.

If you think of it in terms of strumming it's not that fast. He's just muting all the strings he's not striking and will be keeping a constant stemming motion throughout. From what I can hear apart from the odd little blues fill the tempo doesn't really change. Once you're locked in to the beat/groove you'll be good to go. It's a lot like Miserlou - it's keeping with the constant, steady beat that makes it.

Yeah, I've got the pattern, as you say other then those few blues notes it's just a quick pentatonic. I just get abit loose through the last section where it all goes wrong :lol:

Just out of interest, do you like this sort of stuff? Just wondered if you'd wanted to play it, or you're being instructed to for educational purposes? I only ask as I originally had guitar lessons for a good while but soon decided I didn't want to spend money learning to play songs and instead used the lessons to learn music theory so that I could construct my own music and better understand stuff that's been recorded already. I think it's important to learn as much as you can so you're well versed then spend some time trying to forget it so it's almost subconscious. Stick to it too rigidly and you'll be a boring ass player - at the other end of the spectrum SRV couldn't ready music and didn't know what he was doing in terms of intervals and chord progressions and it didn't hold him back.

Yeah I love it. Before my first lesson I had to write down 10-20 tracks I enjoyed, not necessarily wanted to learn but just what I enjoyed and we'd go from there, my list was mainly Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins and that whole rock and roll/rockabilly style. As my tutor said, for the time being there is no need me being able to play some face melting shred fest when all I wanna play is 12bar blues stuff. At the minute I'm based a lot around a few pentatonic scales I've learned and chord structures. I keep noodling abit but I'm trying to focus on the set as there's some good techniques I need to pick up. Like I suck at pull offs, but in that SRV song there's multiple double pull offs which I'm getting to grips with.

So I set my bass up with the strings I need. Was an experience getting the .182 in, the string was too thick to fit through the bridge so I had to unwind the ball and feed the end through and try re-attach the ball. That caused issues and resulted in a messy looking solder job, it works though so that's what I am most worried about haha.

The one issue I am facing however, is sound. It sounds pretty muddy undefined. Obviously a lot of that is to blame on the fact that it is an octave below E...

The combo that I own is only 2x10 and I've also tried it through a single 12", both sounded kinda lame even with my Sansamp running. Any ideas as to how to EQ it better? The other four strings in drop A sound great, its just the low E.

Is it an EQ issue? Or do I just need more inches to push my sound?

148orio.jpg

Also, pretty keen to buy a new bridge haha. Do not want to repeat that process every string change :/

You could drill the hole a bit bigger for bigger strings? Undoing ball ends and redoing them sounds a bit dodgy, probably snap there first, if ever.

Not a bass person but muddy sound could be because of your looow tuning? Them pickups just might not be suitable for low tunings. Or it could be a bunch of other things but I'll let bass people comment lol.

Agreed - never really known of strings that heavy on a J-bass before! Always tend to be set up light, Precisions love it heavier though.

I'd be very wary of that solder job if you're ever giving it the big 'un, snapping low E's is horrible.

You could drill the hole a bit bigger for bigger strings? Undoing ball ends and redoing them sounds a bit dodgy, probably snap there first, if ever.

Not a bass person but muddy sound could be because of your looow tuning? Them pickups just might not be suitable for low tunings. Or it could be a bunch of other things but I'll let bass people comment lol.

The reason I decided not to drill the bridge is because it would void the warranty and I've only owned it about a month now.

Yeah I think it is the pick ups, looking into other ones I can get.

Agreed - never really known of strings that heavy on a J-bass before! Always tend to be set up light, Precisions love it heavier though.

I'd be very wary of that solder job if you're ever giving it the big 'un, snapping low E's is horrible.

Haha, its the thickest string I've seen in my life outside of a piano!

There is an Australian band called Prepared Like A Bride and their bassist played a BMT 5 string Jazz bass and had the same strings as me. I am lead to believe that he had different pick ups than I do though.

Like I said above, I'm going to look into other pick ups, I think I need something with a lot more mid and high frequencies. Not too sure to what to get though. I've ended up getting a compressor to help my Sansamp, its actually done quite a lot.

True. That have definately made huge improvements. One of their end breakdowns is an octave down from C# o.O

I actually get a bit tired of them though. Everything is too similar in their songs. My girlfriend is quite good mates with them though, she's played with them a few times now haha.

Question to all -

If you could have a guitar any colour, what would it be?

I've just bought (for myself) a b stock Squier standard strat, fairly chipped and in need of a refurb and I can't decide on a colour, I'm swaying toward burgundy mist but wondered if anyone else had anything to throw in the pot. Must be a genuine fender colour thou, new or old..

Question to all -

If you could have a guitar any colour, what would it be?

I've just bought (for myself) a b stock Squier standard strat, fairly chipped and in need of a refurb and I can't decide on a colour, I'm swaying toward burgundy mist but wondered if anyone else had anything to throw in the pot. Must be a genuine fender colour thou, new or old..

Olympic white. Can either be mixed with a standard white pick guard (although aged is better) or a red tortoise shell version.

I don't think they use this colour anymore but if you can find 'fiesta red' then you are obliged to use it: http://www.mk-guitar.com/2009/01/06/red-redder-the-reddest-fiesta-dakota-candy-apple-hot-rod-and-more-fender-colours/

Edited by Matthew62

I'm selling my Wildkat if anyone's interest, semi hollow body with solid center so has good sustain. It's immaculate, not a single scratch or mark at all and supplied with a very well fitted hardcase. Pm me if your interested..

imagejpg1_zps330b3a0b.jpg

Painted this for a local music store, they where curious if I could paint an amp so gave me a retro inspired breif and a cheapo 2nd hand kingsman amp. Hope they're happy with it when I drop it in tomorow. Colour choice is too much for me, but gotta go with it!

imagejpg2_zps4343d66f.jpg

Fiesta red is available in the latest range of Squier 50's classic vibe stuff, it's a gorgeous red but I always think red strats look like toys!

Ah nice. I know what you mean, they only looks good once they've been beat-up and show some of the word through the scrapes.

John Frusciante's jag will always be one of my favourites.

post-7501-0-34592100-1417429937_thumb.jp