Bottom Bracket Glue

zonaboy1

i read on this forum somewhere that you can meand a bb shell by glueing the bb in with some special glue. Please can somone inform me of which glue it is as i sold a t pro frame to my mate with a threadless bb but that has packed up. Then i read about the glue it in idea and that sounded pretty feasable but now i cant find it.

Any glue that i know of probably won't last too long. If its desperate though you could try chemical metal or an epoxy resin like "Araldite". If you know a welder you could try putting weld in the frame and cutting new threads though Bottom Bracket taps are pretty pricey i think.

Any glue that i know of probably won't last too long. If its desperate though you could try chemical metal or an epoxy resin like "Araldite". If you know a welder you could try putting weld in the frame and cutting new threads though Bottom Bracket taps are pretty pricey i think.

We use a company that do that at work. That method is said to be pretty good actually. Give it a go..

Put a coke can inside the frame (or rather a strip of it) and screw the bb against that. It will cause a tight fit that should keep the BB in place.

Welding and recutting sounds like a good idea, but could you not just get a new threadless bb?

hey if you go on ebay and get some jb weld and stick your bb in with that it will stay in for good make sure you get a good quality bb though because if you put a not so good quality one in and it packs up you aint gonna get it out again

i read on this forum somewhere that you can meand a bb shell by glueing the bb in with some special glue. Please can somone inform me of which glue it is as i sold a t pro frame to my mate with a threadless bb but that has packed up. Then i read about the glue it in idea and that sounded pretty feasable but now i cant find it.

How on earth did you strip it?

i would spend the money and get it done by argosracing cycles. Think they charge £80 to machine out the shell to press a new one into it. Its the best solution really. Welding a heat treated frame could cause it to fratigue .. which wouldn't be good. Trust me i have had welding done on a orange zero once, never again! Broke near enough straight away

ok, from the begining, i bought the frame off ebay by itself for £60 inc p&p. i bought a bb from cowleys in northallerton, had it fitted at milgate motors in thirsk only it just slid in and out even with granville threadlock. So i built it up with some spares and had a threadless bb put in. I sold it to a mate (frame with bb/t mag wheels/onza stem n bars n forks/ and a headset) all for £70. So i doubt he will spend 80 on repairing it. The bb was working fine but he had a habbit of bashing his cranks off with a mallet to get the chain off as it was too tight.This knackered the bb. So he is currently borrowing bum chins monty 221 x-lite 03.

i thought about getting it italian threaded but i dont think he would be able to run a front freewheel.

So in conclusion, does anyone know of the best/cheapest method of sorting out this shagged bb shell. i.e. which will be the strongest glue or will we need to mix?

You could try a mahooosive helicoil?...but I dont know if they make them that big, or if you could find a drill piece that big. Failing that some sort of expanding glue, like gorilla glue could work...or that stuff that sets like metal (dont know the real name)?

You could try a mahooosive helicoil?...but I dont know if they make them that big, or if you could find a drill piece that big. Failing that some sort of expanding glue, like gorilla glue could work...or that stuff that sets like metal (dont know the real name)?

There isn't enough metal to drill out, tap then put a helicoil in. And if there is the it will be soooo weak and I'd imagine bb shell would crack...