Wanna Light Bike?

Got my 09 echo control down to a reliable 8.33kg. With A front Hope and a Half decent tire in the back tire (Rubber queen) bike mostly street ridden.

#1 most weight can be removed but changing you tires "especially 26" bikes" Anywhere up to 450g on the rear and the front going from maxxis to continentals "only problem pinch flats"

#2 Tubes use the lightest tube you can get away with especially in the front "cont. 90g Tarty's"

#3 remove or reduce the steel. Disc rotors you can save big by going to a lighter disc or even a smaller.

#4 Pedals If your pedals are more then 300g and you got lotsa cash there's grams to be saved.

Been modest here

700g tires + 150g tubes + 50g rotor + 100g pedals

that's 1 kilo too easy

The best thing is 1 kilo off your bike makes a HUGE difference too your riding ups and pivots everything gets noticeably easier.

There's plenty more that can be done but this is a good start.

How did you get your bike 600g lighter than stans hydroxx? :S

Going by Tarty's weight, the Control is slightly lighter, plus Trialtech forks aren't super light (only a good thing), tyre cuttings, maybe lighter bb(?) = 600grams easy enough. But it could just be a scale problem?

there very gippy just not sure if there strong enough.

You're right, they wouldn't last as long as a metal platform pedal, but i imagine for the weight saving and cost (about £12-£15) compared to a similar weighted metal pedal (£60-£80) they'd benefit some riders.

Going by Tarty's weight, the Control is slightly lighter, plus Trialtech forks aren't super light (only a good thing), tyre cuttings, maybe lighter bb(?) = 600grams easy enough. But it could just be a scale problem?

The frame is 100g, the SL forks are 200g, I dont know where the other 300g are :S

Tyre cutting is a possibility but I dont think it is going to lose that much - my triton is 8.95 atm but thats with heavy pace forks, I dont have any ti fixings though but everthing else is about as light as you can get it apart from a skinny front tube which will lose another 50g.

Im intrigued as to how he has managed it :D

oh and alloy nipples I havent got :$

edit: my triton frame is near as dammit the same weight as the 09 control - ok its 5g lighter.

Edited by forteh

The frame is 100g, the SL forks are 200g, I dont know where the other 300g are :S

Tyre cutting is a possibility but I dont think it is going to lose that much - my triton is 8.95 atm but thats with heavy pace forks, I dont have any ti fixings though but everthing else is about as light as you can get it apart from a skinny front tube which will lose another 50g.

Im intrigued as to how he has managed it :D

oh and alloy nipples I havent got :$

edit: my triton frame is near as dammit the same weight as the 09 control - ok its 5g lighter.

I was just using the guess-estimate figure on that. :D

Double butted spokes and alloy nipples are an easy and cheap way of eliminating 50 grams per wheel. Yeah that's another guess-estimate. But stick 50 brass nipples in your hand, then switch to alloy, your wonder where the weight went! Plus 26" spokes are like 8cms longer than mod.

How did you get your bike 600g lighter than stans hydroxx? :S

Weight weenie info.

Frame 100g

forks 200g

disc 50g

ti bb +50g (think Stan's running the ti bb too)

middleburn 50g

no war bars 75g

Ti carbon hope 24g

Thats most of the differences. about 550g (500g excluding the bb)

Plus all ti and aluminum bolts like Stan.

Running almost exactly the same wheels and tires. different frt hub and possibly the tubes too.

One thing you need to know is theres alot of drill and milling work to remove even more weight

dmr v12 -45g

rear rim -20g

frt rim -20g

t.t front hub -15g

middleburns -15g

magura clamps -8g

magura lever blade -4g

-127g total

Total total about 627g

There you go.

I'm pretty light rider 63kg 140lb so all the parts are up to the task.

except the rubber queen for comp she's sweet for street you'll need a heavy wall tube.

Awesome advice Le if you are into that sort of thing... :P

I just need to lose a kilo off mine now! Just weighed my nipples...

32 brass= 30 grams

32 alloy= 9 grams

Thats my weight weenie contribution!

Lewis.

What are you doing in the new members chat?

Anyone know exactly how much you save on single butted spokes on a 32 hole wheel?

Wow you guys really take the weight issue seriously.

I had a conversation about this in the local bike store and they were taking the piss, but if you add all that weight up it does come to a good ratio of the complete bikes weight.

I don't take to seriously though, but I have been looking at ways to lose big weight and I think tires and BB are good places to look at.

Anyone started unwinding cables yet? Apparently thats what the XC guys do!

Mental.

Matt

Weight weenie info.

Frame 100g

forks 200g

disc 50g

ti bb +50g (think Stan's running the ti bb too)

middleburn 50g

no war bars 75g

Ti carbon hope 24g

Thats most of the differences. about 550g (500g excluding the bb)

Plus all ti and aluminum bolts like Stan.

Running almost exactly the same wheels and tires. different frt hub and possibly the tubes too.

One thing you need to know is theres alot of drill and milling work to remove even more weight

dmr v12 -45g

rear rim -20g

frt rim -20g

t.t front hub -15g

middleburns -15g

magura clamps -8g

magura lever blade -4g

-127g total

Total total about 627g

There you go.

I'm pretty light rider 63kg 140lb so all the parts are up to the task.

except the rubber queen for comp she's sweet for street you'll need a heavy wall tube.

Aha, cheers for posting that info, all making more sense now :)

Ive just lost 100g by putting foam grips on, dont know why I didnt before hand - best 3 quid I ever spent :D

My triton is now down to 8.83kg but I dont have any ti or alu bolts (I dont entirely trust aluminium and Ive only got 14 steel bolts on my bike, saving approximately 2-3g per bolt isnt worth justifying the 30 quid it will cost; besides which ti bolts into a ti frame is asking for galled threads) I can lose another 50-60g on the front tube and also alu nipples would take it to about 8.75kg. Ive not modified any parts on the bike apart from the rear dx32 is drilled :)

Im 20kg heavier than you but dont go particularly big so the rubber queen with a standard butyl tube has been just fine so far.

Any plans on releasing a 16t version of the middleburn bash? ;)

Some manufacturer used to fill their top end XC frames with Helium years ago, 80's i think.

This thread has got me thinking about weight, I'm going to try to shift some weight from my bike with some of the tips on here.

Anyone know any 'beartrap' type pedals which are lighter than DMR V8's? Mine are fairly trashed now and i need the extra grip.

if you mean caged pedals (as opposed to pinned) the new try all pedals are under 300g (thats lighter than the £150 tryall ti-nesium pin pedals) if your a basher you might wanna stick with the v8s cause there officially death proof and the quality to price ratio is spot on (Y) caged pedals are prone to bending and generally dying (N)

• 2 months later...