Why Has This Not Happened Yet?

sayshell

Why is their not yet a folding 19" tire? People do rediculous things to save weight and spend so much money me being one of them. A folding mod tire would save over 100 grams. Someone needs to make folding creepys, and echos. This would be the easiest way to save a huge amount of weight without any side effects. I would pay 100$ for a folding echo tire. I paid 60$ for titanium bolts and they didn't save 1/4 as much weight as folding tires would.

its because 19" tyre cover such a small percentage of the tyre market.

Maxxis are the only Major Manufacrturer to Make them now, and thats hasnt been happening long.

Most tyres will be made by the same Eastern company and Echo, monty ect will stick their name on them.

You would have to approch a large enough company, Maxxis, and convinve them that they will make a profit from making these tyres.

I wouldnt have thought they would be any good for a mod, as the bead wont hold as strong with the very low tyre pressures used.

Only difference between folding and non-folding tyres is that folding ones use a kevlar loop inside the tyre bead to stop it coming off the rim while non-folding use a steel cable. In many cases the side walls on tyres are made lighter to increase the weight saving for the folding version of a tyre, but that's not a necessity by any means. Kevlar and steel beaded tyres will both stay put on a rim unless you're running insanely low pressure, in which case they're both likely to come off...

All the folding BMX tyres I've seen need really high pressures (90psi+) to perform at their best, in fact KHE issue a warning on their site about the side walls possibly ripping if you run less pressure than that. Although it's a good idea I don't think there is a way that they could make a tyre with side walls strong enough to put up with such low pressures, and if they did then the walls would be so thick that it would weighing the same amount as a normal tyre anyway.

It's a good idea though, and something I've thought about many times before, but as has been mentioned, there really isn't much of a marketplace for them.

I guess you could probably produce a kevlar beaded 20" front tyre, but I dunno how well it would sell really, ideally it would have to have a MTB style knobble pattern, which wouldn't sell very well in the BMX marketplace.

Sucks that they can get the Conti tyres down to 478g and the lightest 20" trials tyre is 515g.

Edited by JonMack

All the folding BMX tyres I've seen need really high pressures (90psi+) to perform at their best, in fact KHE issue a warning on their site about the side walls possibly ripping if you run less pressure than that. Although it's a good idea I don't think there is a way that they could make a tyre with side walls strong enough to put up with such low pressures, and if they did then the walls would be so thick that it would weighing the same amount as a normal tyre anyway.

It's a good idea though, and something I've thought about many times before, but as has been mentioned, there really isn't much of a marketplace for them.

I guess you could probably produce a kevlar beaded 20" front tyre, but I dunno how well it would sell really, ideally it would have to have a MTB style knobble pattern, which wouldn't sell very well in the BMX marketplace.

Sucks that they can get the Conti tyres down to 478g and the lightest 20" trials tyre is 515g.

khe tires are pure garbage though, my firend tore the sidewall just inflating the tire they are half the weight of a regular folding bmx tire. I guess a folding mod tire would be for street riding. The lightest rear tire though is 1000 grams. Their are 2.3 bmx tires that weigh 500 grams and are decently strong. I would be happy if they could make a 800 gram folding tire.

The use of a folding kevlar bead over steel doesnt save all that much weight, its only a matter of 30-50g I think on a 26" tyre. The real weight saving comes with thinner sidewalls, at which point you need to run higher pressures to stop it pinching.

what difference does 37g make? if your realy bothered about saving that little weight then just dont wear a belt on your trousers...

How does not wearing a belt make your bike lighter? Seriously....

37g is nothing though...

37g off one component is quite alot :)

37g off a tyre isnt a huge amount and not worth spending money on, however save 37g off your innertubes and youve save 64g off the revolving weight of the wheels which in turn makes the bike feel infinitely lighter.

The stock tyre is 478g, and it's 26", if they made a 20" version, it would be even lighter.

By my reckoning it would be about 370g, which is a saving of about 150g over a Try-All, which would make a big difference.

37g off a tyre isnt a huge amount and not worth spending money on, however save 37g off your innertubes and youve save 64g off the revolving weight of the wheels which in turn makes the bike feel infinitely lighter.

How'd you work that one out, Ed? :P

People still don't seem to understand that weight off the bike >> weight off the rider. It's really not that hard to grasp.

Go and buy a space hopper and then get someone to make you one from lead, which is easier to jump about on?

Why are athletes such as Chris Hoy pretty stacked on superlight bikes, as opposed to twigmen on apollos?

The stock tyre is 478g, and it's 26", if they made a 20" version, it would be even lighter.

By my reckoning it would be about 370g, which is a saving of about 150g over a Try-All, which would make a big difference.

I am talking about rear ones. 370 compared to 1000. I think it is stupid that my rear tire weighs more than my entire rear wheel. On a mod trials bike you have good selection and super high quality lightweight parts for everything except tires. Tires are really important someone should make good ones! I mean they got sl for everything. Now they just need sl tires.

37g is nothing though...

the key to saving real weight on your bike is to cut weight in all areas. If you take 200 grams off your fork it will be paper thin and snap in 1 second. If you take 10 grams off each component on your bike it doesnt make a difference in strength and cuts off a huge amount of weight overall.

I worked that out using the weight of a front Conti Mountain King 2.2 supersonic and a front Try-All mod tyre, just worked out the ratio and used that to work out the weight it would be if it was a 20" tyre.

A rear 19" Rain King would be about 700g.

A rear 19" Rubber Queen would be about 615g.

A rear 19" Mountain King 2.4" Supersonic would be about 401g!

I think the Rain King would be the only decent one for a mod though, the Rubber Queens are really bouncy and roll fairly easily, on a Mod it would be even worse!

the key to saving real weight on your bike is to cut weight in all areas. If you take 200 grams off your fork it will be paper thin and snap in 1 second. If you take 10 grams off each component on your bike it doesnt make a difference in strength and cuts off a huge amount of weight overall.

Your idea is right, but you can easily get a fork thats 300g lighter and it will still last for ages if you're not a basher, especially if you ride Mod.

khe tires are pure garbage though, my firend tore the sidewall just inflating the tire they are half the weight of a regular folding bmx tire. I guess a folding mod tire would be for street riding. The lightest rear tire though is 1000 grams. Their are 2.3 bmx tires that weigh 500 grams and are decently strong. I would be happy if they could make a 800 gram folding tire.

I never had any problems with my KHE tyre.

what difference does 37g make? if your realy bothered about saving that little weight then just dont wear a belt on your trousers...

I wear tracksuit bottoms. Oh and I have a shoelace belt on my jeans.

Because its a 26" tyre, a whole 6 inches of tyre, and it still weighs less.

Exactly

37g is nothing though...

When you consider that that would be 37g off the front tyre, could be a lot more off the rear, maybe 100g-150, which to the weight conscious rider, is a lot of rotational weight to lose!

Also, if weight isn't important, why are manufacturers constantly trying to release lighter parts?

Edited by JonMack

When you consider that that would be 37g off the front tyre, could be a lot more off the rear, maybe 100g-150, which to the weight conscious rider, is a lot of rotational weight to lose!

Considering i weigh 100kg 37g off the weight of the bike isnt goin 2 make a lot of difference to my riding...

Why do you keep saying 37g? Did you not read my post?

So take that 150g off the rear tyre, whip another 100g off the front, maybe save 100g on each rim, a bit on the pedals, and it soon adds up...

I got my bike down to sub 10kg without really putting much effort/very little additional money in to it, and it mkes it a whole heap better to ride

Saying that, I've not even thought about it on the 24" :P

So take that 150g off the rear tyre, whip another 100g off the front, maybe save 100g on each rim, a bit on the pedals, and it soon adds up...

I got my bike down to sub 10kg without really putting much effort/very little additional money in to it, and it mkes it a whole heap better to ride

Mines down to 8.78kg now by doing exactly that, ok I started with an ultralight frame but in reality I could rebuild it with a 2kg deng monstrosity frame and still have a 9.1kg stock bike :)

ok then... 150g still isnt much though...

To put it simple: it's not going to make any difference to inexperienced riders. Don't assume nobody will feel a difference just because you can't.

As for the tyres, I can't see why folding 19" wouldn't work. But as stated previously, there's too small a market for these tyres to make different varieties.