Post A Picture Of Your Pets.

bigamac

Apologies Davey :)

Yeah the one at Castle Marina has a shite load in a 2x2 viv, I know they don't have them for very long due to them being a 'reputable' pet store, but its still wrong. Like when fish stores overstock the f**k out of their tanks. Regardless of how long you expect to have them in your tank for, they should still be treated fairly.

Yeahhh it sucks :( When i got Banjo, he was the only one in a massive viv, more than big enough for him. Tom, please let Banjo have Babies with Boris?

Have you changed his/her name now btw? Just I know you've had her longer than i've had banjo and I couldn't imagine him being anything but Banjo now :P It's like our leopard Gecko, Lizzie. We have no idea what gender she is but we've decided for some reason shes female, if we found out she was male i think we'd have to keep her as Lizzie haha :P

• Like 1

Apologies Davey :)

Yeah the one at Castle Marina has a shite load in a 2x2 viv, I know they don't have them for very long due to them being a 'reputable' pet store, but its still wrong. Like when fish stores overstock the f**k out of their tanks. Regardless of how long you expect to have them in your tank for, they should still be treated fairly.

Thats where i meant, next door to comet.

I think :S.

Anyway they looked so squished, and the majority of the food bugs where dead but still for sale..

Nah, she's still Boris. We have no intention of breeding her so sex is irrelevant to be honest. Just took her to have her nails cut the other day (sounds a right madam now :P) at our local reptile shop and he said how spoilt she was.

Wat.

Haaaaaaaaaa! I found determining gender* to be pretty easy, quick look under the tail and it's normally pretttyyy obvious but i suppose if you weren't looking, then you wouldn't notice.

* I hate using the word sexing, it makes me feel like a dirty little crack whore.

Edited by Adam-Griffin
  • Like 1

Haaaaaaaaaa! I found determining gender* to be pretty easy, quick look under the tail and it's normally pretttyyy obvious but i suppose if you weren't looking, then you wouldn't notice.

* I hate using the word sexing, it makes me feel like a dirty little crack whore.

Adam enjoys sexing his reptiles..

* I hate using the word sexing, it makes me feel al dirty like a crack whore.

Yeah my sisters had a look before but to be honest, she gets it round her neck what shes meant to be looking for. So we just gave up really. Although the chap at the store (he's a reptile fanatic. Been all over the world observing everything from Iggys to chameleons to torts!) an he could tell straight away.

I'm 99% sure Ralph's female too, but at the minute he's still to young to sex, reaches maturity and I'll have a definite answer when he's 8 :o.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, the sex was unknown when we bought her and she got named boris, but the names stuck now we know she's female.

Nah, she's really tame to handling, put your arm in the viv and if she really wants to come out she'll leap onto your arm. If she doesn't thou you can still pick her up and shes not bothered at all.

Started setting up a new tropical (brackish) tank downstairs a week ago, it's just cycling at the minute, dropped soe of my filter media in there to try and introduce the cycle, it's comming along well. Just got to get the salt levels right an adjust the PH level when its matured. Ready for some figure eight puffers :D

Tank as it stands (I admit, its just a tank with water and some bubbles in at the minute :P)

DSCF3470.jpg

The intended fish.....

EmilianoSpada_Tetraodon_biocellatus.jpg

Needs some plastic plants or some ribbon plants or something, F* puffers are destructive little things aparently.

Can't decide wether to go for 3-4 puffers (the puffers eat anything, fin nip or just rip the other fish open, so your kinda limited to what fish you can have with them, specially considering you have to stay with brackish fish too), or a schoal of tetra and a few colourful mollies, angels or discus or something.....

Question for you fishy guys, tom and si...

Wolverine the axolotl has been in his glass tank for about 2 weeks now, sand substrate and a couple of plastic plants, some pebbles, an air pump and filter. Are there any visual indications as to when I should be changing water? Its gone slightly murky now so I was going to do a 30% change over (about 10 litres) this weekend.

I use tap water conditioned with some stuff in a yellow bottle (forget the name now :$ ) but I know bugger all about cycling and stuff, is that just letting the tank build up natural bacteria? I havent cleaned the filter out (was told not to as it will help condition the water) how do you know when to do so?

Wolverine the axolotl has been in his glass tank for about 2 weeks now, sand substrate and a couple of plastic plants, some pebbles, an air pump and filter. Are there any visual indications as to when I should be changing water? Its gone slightly murky now so I was going to do a 30% change over (about 10 litres) this weekend.

I use tap water conditioned with some stuff in a yellow bottle (forget the name now blushing.gif/> ) but I know bugger all about cycling and stuff, is that just letting the tank build up natural bacteria? I havent cleaned the filter out (was told not to as it will help condition the water) how do you know when to do so?

I usually do either a 20%ish water change a weekend, just to keep stuff peachy.

Cycling is basically letting the filter build up the bacteria to combat/break down the harmful crap in the water from the fish/animals waste. Usually your recommended to do a fishless cycle to avoid Ammonia or Nitrate spikes which could harm the inhabitants.

Theres never really anything visual to note, although I would buy a water testing kit to ensure you don't harm him. Just to make sure you can get your PH levels right, and see how your tank is cycling Ed :D

This is Kasier... hes a big softy that just jumps around all dday licking people ha! then when you lick him back, he just gives you a look asin, "what the hell... you licked me?!?!?!" haha!

It appears in the far right picture, that your dog would like some attention from your mouth!

It appears in the far right picture, that your dog would like some attention from your mouth!

haha! thats not me, its my brother in law, he got kinda scared when the dog jumped up to look outa the window and there was a big wang in his face haha! kasier is too heavy to push/lift off though lol, he weighs a good 10.5 stone now :S and is only 3 years old! lol

Question for you fishy guys, tom and si...

I use tap water conditioned with some stuff in a yellow bottle (forget the name now blushing.gif/> ) but I know bugger all about cycling and stuff, is that just letting the tank build up natural bacteria? I havent cleaned the filter out (was told not to as it will help condition the water) how do you know when to do so?

Get yourself one of these, API Master Test Kit

You want to test for ammonia and NITRITE daily, doing a water change of about 30% if the ammonia goes about 4ppm. After around 14 days or so, ammonia will start to decrease as the NITRITE bacteria start to form. These will start to drop after a week or so and NITRATES will start to appear. Cycle takes about 6 weeks to fully finish, but can take longer. You cycle is done when ammonia and NITRITE are at 0ppm, nitrates should be around 20ppm, do a 50% water change or more to bring the NITRATES down to around 5-10ppm, job done.

With that kit, ammonia is at 0 when it is yellow, nitrITES when it goes baby blue and nitrates should be in the light orange shade. Thats the simplified version, theres other stuff available on-line.

• 2 weeks later...