Post A Picture Of Your Pets.

bigamac

Just got my first arboreal snake, yellow phase amazon tree boa :)

Hes still in his transport tub waiting for his setup to warm up/stabilise but will be getting some photos when I move him over. Theyre bitey little things with lots of teeth so Im expecting at least one bite when moving him :D

Pictures in a bit when Ive got some.

edit: pics and yes I did get bitten as soon as the lid came off his tub :D

Soon settled down though and is now climbing through his fake trees.

DSC_2545.JPG

DSC_2547.JPG

DSC_2551.JPG

DSC_2552.JPG

DSC_2553.JPG

DSC_2555.JPG

DSC_2556.JPG

01122010348.JPG

01122010349.JPG

Edited by forteh

• 1 month later...

Looks good dude, just keep ontop of your water changes and you'll be fine. Ironically I lost one of my fish this morning, It got trapped under a rock a while ago and ripped all its sides up, treated it with melafix but its never been right since so it was kinda a relief to find it had died, I'll have to put recent pictures up of my lot in a minute...

I only change about 1ltr every 3 days or so. just sink a mixing jug an refill, simples. Thats on a 120l fancy goldfish tank.

I dunno about keeping turtles, but tortoises are fairly easy to keep. Like most reptiles they need a source of heat an a source of UVB be it an all in one combined bulb, or a separate UV strip an a basking spot lamp. Diet plays a pretty big part in keeping them, just make sure there fed the right mix of flowers, weeds an grasses an they're a doddle to keep. There much more interesting then most people think, Ned (My leopard tort) is pretty fast to be honest when he's warmed up an usually its to sprint towards the food dish.

How often should I be changing the water? I have a book which says 40% every 2 weeks but I've read on the net that 1/4 every 3 or 4 days and half every 10 days..And as many other combinations as you can think of. So far, I haven't actually changed the water at all in any great quantity, I cahnged maybe 10litres (60litre tank) over christmas and thats about it.

Would something like 2litres out and 2 litres of fresh every other day be ok..Or would it need to be more than that?

Infact, reading this book it says that water changes are dependant on the tank set-up and vary from tank to tank, mostly dfepending on ph levels and nitrates. As I have many plants and few smaller fish, nitrates won't build up to an excessive level for at least 2/3 months (according to this guide) so I'll have to try and base my changes on the PH level, I'll see how I get on I guess.

Only way of knowing how often you need to change water is by testing it, I would say 50% once a week, the bigger the water change, the more is removed. A must though is cleaning the gravel, as that is where all the poop and food gather which makes a lovely area for nitrATES to grow. When testing, Ammonia and nitrITES should be 0ppm,which means it has done the nitrogen cycle and nitrATES should be around 10ppm. I managed to keep 2 ranchu goldfish (and they are messy f**kers) in a 35 L tank, first 2 at 0ppm and nitrates at 5ppm. 2x20L water changes a week. Make sure you de-clorinate water before you put it in mind, otherwise its back to square 1 if it kills off the bacteria.

My gecko is ace, since getting it at 10 weeks old on the 9.9.10, it has gone from 2.4 g to 11.2g! Fat little git :P

Edited by Si-man

• 2 weeks later...