Just A Wee Problem

DrDoom

Self-extracting crank bolts are a f**king lie.

I don't really get what your problem here is though, you seem to say that the more you loosen it, the looser it gets? " you can turn it about quarter turn and it'll become loose, then another quarter turn and it'll go loose again!"

I think he means it goes loose, then goes tight again. Could be a bent axle? If so, not much you can do apart from push harder. If you really have to get the cranks off and don't mind risking something breaking, you can stick a metal pipe over the end of the Allen key to get more leverage.

If they are self extracting crankbolts then try squirting a bit of oil between the head of the bolt and the extractor ring, should make things alittle easier :)

Sounds as though something has bent though.

I thought with self extracting crank bolts they stayed in the crank arm the hole time even when the crank arm was fully off the bike. So when undoing the crank bolt the crank arms is pulled off the spindle/axle? So surely it would take a lot more force to turn the bolt if it has to act as a crank puller too. I know when i use a crank puller i crap my self every time because it feels like i'm using quite a lot of force. And as for the it goes tight then loose, +1 for the something is PROBABLY bent. Does it have anything like this has on it or look like this. The holes/larger allen key being used to get it on the first time i think?

Edit: Haha to the last part of your post!

And also is it an isis or square taper bottom bracket because they have different diameters of bolts and isis also has two different diameters. So if you are going to try and drill it I (IMO) would be tempted to drill with say a 5mm (this is me presuming the smallest diameter of bolt for a bottom bracket is m12? although i think square taper may be smaller) first so you know there is no way of hitting the threads on the axle/spindle then progressively move to bigger drills.

In fact have you called tartybikes? It may seem silly but to be honest if i had tried everyhting the forum had recommended i would go to them explain the situation what you have tried ect ect. and then as a last resort start to drill?

Edited by gussie

Like that, I guess there extractor type!

So, do I get them to the loose point and welly it with a hammer as they dont seem to be extracting the cranks from the bike as there ment to! :P

Well if you have any kinda long pointy thing you could try just undoing the head of the bolt. Using hammer and long pointy device, tapping it round? As this may relieve some of the tension on the actually bolt. Which in turn may mean you can take them out and then use a normal crank puller? That may not work though. Is there some sort of separation between the bolt head and the bit with the holes? Like in the link i left above there is clearly two different pieces of metal?

Why dont you just take the extracting section off, and then just undo the bolt and take the crank off normally?

Assuming they look like this, then you can just undo the outer section with a hammer and punch, or a set of circlip pliers, or a pin spanner if you have one small enough, and then just undo the bolt inside and it will all come out.

19226.jpg

Why dont you just take the extracting section off, and then just undo the bolt and take the crank off normally?

Assuming they look like this, then you can just undo the outer section with a hammer and punch, or a set of circlip pliers, or a pin spanner if you have one small enough, and then just undo the bolt inside and it will all come out.

19226.jpg

Yes i suggested that but which way would it unscrew because on this it looks like it is a "left hand thread", is that what they're called but i mean it unscrews the way a normal thread would tighten????? I think. I'm slightly confused and can't be bothered putting the brain power in to visualise it all and stuff. Plus i dont have a set of cranks i can test it one...So that sucks