Tapping With A Higher Bb Rise Frame

Luke Williams!

i'm struggling with the whole geo of my GU typhoon 06 for tapping, its 50 + bb rise i think anyone got any help ona different technique i can use to cope with it i have tried reading TRA's tapping method page and it still bewilders me :\

or is it the frame itself is just too high a bb rise for decent tapping ? although i have noticed the koxx sky is +55 or something daft and vince etc seem to be able to tap theres fine lol :|

Luke

Edited by Luke Williams!

You do have a slight problem with trying to tap on that frame. The frame's bb rise is very high which is great for sidehops, but for taps it's a little too high. This isn't to say you can't tap your bike high, it just means you may find it harder than on a bike with a lower bb rise.

I recommend hitting your front wheel into the wall lower than you normally would, this should help you drive the bike up so you can get your rear wheel to the top.

You do have a slight problem with trying to tap on that frame. The frame's bb rise is very high which is great for sidehops, but for taps it's a little too high. This isn't to say you can't tap your bike high, it just means you may find it harder than on a bike with a lower bb rise.

I recommend hitting your front wheel into the wall lower than you normally would, this should help you drive the bike up so you can get your rear wheel to the top.

Thanks alot i'll give that a shot :) i do agree it is nicer to sidehop but i've alwasy been the tapping sort :P

Thanks again for your help :)

Luke

yeah its a bit different but when you get the feeling there isnt much difference

just try to hit a bit lower and it can take some time to learn it, depends how often you ride, but usually it takes some weeks to get it constantly working

lower bb bikes are easier to tap. its simple. not sure why, just the geo makes it more chuckable in the tap theory.

so you need to apply a suitable set up in order to make your bike feel like a lower bb bike.

your best bet is to get a higher bar / stem set up. You will notice this on the big boys bikes (vinny, gilly, kenny), however you need to find the right comprimise so that you still have the benefits of a high bb!

lower bb bikes are easier to tap. its simple. not sure why, just the geo makes it more chuckable in the tap theory.

Always felt to me like with a lower BB, you're more balanced over both wheels (Whereas higher BB makes it feel more biased to front wheel stuff, like you're up higher over the front of the bike), so you can sort of push up and into the tap better? More of a smooth upwards motion rather than having to force the tap. Can't really describe it too well :P

Always felt to me like with a lower BB, you're more balanced over both wheels (Whereas higher BB makes it feel more biased to front wheel stuff, like you're up higher over the front of the bike), so you can sort of push up and into the tap better? More of a smooth upwards motion rather than having to force the tap. Can't really describe it too well :P

its ok mark ill let you off cos your bmx. and your old school.

(however i will admit that you wrote what i was thinking - but couldnt explain).

so to re-iterate. try a higher stem and bar combo.

i am running the trial tech bar and stem combo. so its pretty high i suppose i get what your saying i bet my technique is abit off :\ but i get what you mean! i think its the overall stand over point i am much furhter over the bike giving me less room to manouvere in the tap and pull the bike up :)

i rode an 06 control long (+10) for ages, bought an 07 gu (+60), taps were similar height but less consistant from the start. then it just got shitter and shitter till i was struggling with 45" taps :S. built the control back up and wrey were flying again

i rode an 06 control long (+10) for ages, bought an 07 gu (+60), taps were similar height but less consistant from the start. then it just got shitter and shitter till i was struggling with 45" taps :S. built the control back up and wrey were flying again

ye but dont you find it harder to perform the other moves?

All a higher BB does is give you a bit of a hand for doing stuff to front, and even then it's not drastically different. I found it easier adjusting to do stuff to front on lower BB setups rather than finding riding it in general being weird on a higher BB frame.

All a higher BB does is give you a bit of a hand for doing stuff to front, and even then it's not drastically different. I found it easier adjusting to do stuff to front on lower BB setups rather than finding riding it in general being weird on a higher BB frame.

i whole heartedly agree