What Is The Ultimate Vee Setup?

indianatrials

When I had my vee, by far the best setup I had was shimano LX arms (non linkage). Shimano st5 cable or whatever its called, its basicely 5mm gear cable that allows brake inner to fit in. Its pretty much Odyssy linear slic cable but you can buy it in 15 meter lengths and I found it to be much smoother.

I used an SD7 lever (the speed dial adjustment is REALLY useful!) and I used my own joypad material in rockpad backings (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-X-3-X-24-URETH...3286.m20.l1116)

No other pad came close to that, but I can't wait to try the TNN LGV pads when they come out!

I also had an XTR booster (deffo needed if you want the uber hold a vee can give)

man I miss that brake!

Right now I'm running SD ti levers with shimano cable and Avid SD5 arms with Heatsink Whites. Seems to be working pretty good. Just need to get some Heatsink adaptors and a booster and some new pads for the front. ( Running cheap Moe pads)

SD ti levers? Where do you get those?

Right now I'm running SD ti levers with shimano cable and Avid SD5 arms with Heatsink Whites. Seems to be working pretty good. Just need to get some Heatsink adaptors and a booster and some new pads for the front. ( Running cheap Moe pads)

I was running

XTR levers

SD Ti Vees

Heatsink red pads

Nokon cables

no booster

Medium/light grind

It was amazing, the hold was phenomenal, the best setup I've ever run. I miss that brake so much. The only thing I wanted to add to that setup was an old carbon XTR booster but never managed to get hold of one. For the ultimate setup all I'd change would have been Avid Ultimate vees!

Edited by Tha Goat

avid ultimate calipers

XTR lever

XTR cables (inner cable is random, I change them every 2 months)

heatsink adapters

rockpads

echo booster

hold is super, bite is not as sharp as a magura unless you make a really harsh grind

and its silent with booster.....I miss the sound of magura.....without the booster it doesnt hold that well and its pointless then

Not sure what the setup is, however jonny mc's front vee is amazing!

Its not loud like most, its not scarily bitey either, but you can trust it and it dosent slip at all and works in any weather.

not sure on the vee setup its self as looks like some halfords bodge, however hes running rock pads on a light grind. if i went vee that would have to be my setup deffo.

Ultimate arms, sd7 lever, random cable and old plaz CRVs. Taht's the setup Beau used and that was crazy. Would even hold and bite for that big b*****d! :P

Im running crv's too, cant fault them, theyre nice and sharp and hold really well, so long as its not wet.

I noticed my rear brake was slipping today. ( my front always slips lol) So do you reccomend getting a booster? My frame is a Zhi ZM2 if that helps. Probably go for a light booster as my bike is already heavy enough. lol

Depends, does your lever feel spongy? If not maybe its the pads?

Im currently running Deore vees front and rear, XT levers and clarkes cables (althouth i would have got XTR if i could at the time). All weather pads on front, crv on rear. Ive never felt the need to have a booster, so long as you have decent pads set up well it should be fine (Y)

Im running crv's too, cant fault them, theyre nice and sharp and hold really well, so long as its not wet.

Depends, does your lever feel spongy? If not maybe its the pads?

Im currently running Deore vees front and rear, XT levers and clarkes cables (althouth i would have got XTR if i could at the time). All weather pads on front, crv on rear. Ive never felt the need to have a booster, so long as you have decent pads set up well it should be fine (Y)

Well I'm running Heatsink snowies so I wouldn't think it would be the pads.

Cool, are you running a grind or anything? If not try giving the rim a good clean, that usually brings some of the performance back.

Running a grind. Might be smart to give a clean though. What's the best thing to clean it with? Rubbing alcohol?

Running a grind. Might be smart to give a clean though. What's the best thing to clean it with? Rubbing alcohol?

Sort of depends how dirty it is. Last time i cleaned mine i just wetted a bit of kitchen roll with water and rubbed the rim surfice to clean the dust off. This did the trick.

Other than that any grease removal product should do a decent job, just make sure you clean it off the rim after.

I dont have a grind though, that wire brush idea seemed to make sense so maybe give that a try.

Yeah, I used the wire brush and some alcohol and it worked good. Only problem is I had to take my pad off to readjust it and now I can't get my pads lined up again. If I got some Heatsink adaptors would it be a ton easier to adjust and line up then the Zhi ones I'm using?