Rusted, Rounded Bolts.

harmertrials

It's a long story, basically a bike that I had built up from scratch a couple of years got stolen on my birthday (jan 2007 i think). When it was stolen I built up an ace python to keep me company over the period of around 6 months. In the end I found out who had the echo team and met up with him (stole it back). Because I already had a bike I was more than happy with I sold the echo to a friend in lewes for £550. Yesterday, 2 years on he offered it back to me for £80 and I couldn't resist as i'd been through hell to get this bike (especially considering I drove to the other end of the country to get it in the first place).

The downside is he's neglected it and kept it in his garden for near on 2 years (N)

So... It goes without saying that the bolts are rusted to f**k and they have just rounded instantly. Although thinking about it they were probably already rounded as he didn't seem to know anything about the basics of maintaining a bike.

My question is... Quite simply any ideas on how to get the bolts out, in particular the maggie lever bolt and the hope lever bolts. I've begun hacksawing through the gap in the hope lever but the blade is pretty much dead already. I also considered using a star bolt but I can't find any that are big enough at the moment.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Screw Extractors can be bought in any hardware place for relatively little money.

All you have to do is drill out the centre of the bolt & insert the reverse threaded cone. As you turn the tool, it gets more & more stuck in your dead bolt.

Then when it's good n'n tight the bolt will start to thread out of your lever body (or whatever it's stuck in).