Tensile 60 Click Freewheel.

Christophe'

"- The lockring is a right hand thread helping it to not self-loosen when used on crank arms, a common problem found on most other freewheels."

So clockwise to undo... yarrrr

If it's a right hand thread, it'd be anti-clockwise to undo?

Oh, and Chris, they're caged bearings so it's a doddle to mess around with. Just make sure you get the spacers back on between the lockring and the freewheel body when you're piecing it back together again (Y)

If it's a right hand thread, it'd be anti-clockwise to undo?

Oh, and Chris, they're caged bearings so it's a doddle to mess around with. Just make sure you get the spacers back on between the lockring and the freewheel body when you're piecing it back together again (Y)

Cheers Mark :) , So what method do I use to undo the lockring when the freewheel isnt on a crank arm?

Bearing in mind I think its got loctite on the thread and wont budge at all. Surely a proper 2 pin tool must be used?

I will be fine when ive got the lockring undone.

Yeh it is definitely anti clockwise. (Y)

No, I want to undo it. read posts again :P

Its not coming undone.

Will make a tool to fit if it doesnt behave on the bike.

Come to the conclusion its not worth taking apart, will flush it out with wd40, then load it up with a thin oil.

Oh and dave,,,

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2/me...ode=WHITE_TOOLS

(Y)

Cheers for the help to anyone that replied :)

What Dave said - that's not even going to do anything for a Tensile at all, unless you just want to batter it. A hammer and screwdriver should do the trick, but as you said before, unless you think something's actually broken there's not much that needs to be done to open bearing freewheels. Just a spray through with GT-85 or WD-40 does the job generally, does them the world of good.

Your point? That's not going to do much for a Tensile lockring, that's for sure...

My point being , I hope you use the correct tool for your Eno Dave? not hammer and nails. x

What Dave said - that's not even going to do anything for a Tensile at all, unless you just want to batter it. A hammer and screwdriver should do the trick, but as you said before, unless you think something's actually broken there's not much that needs to be done to open bearing freewheels. Just a spray through with GT-85 or WD-40 does the job generally, does them the world of good.

And why should I have to resort to bashing my freewheel with a hammer and Nail??

It doesnt feel like my King <_< meh. Infact it feels a bit notchy in places, hence why id like to see any possible defects inside.

Im not having a pop at anyone, its the fact that ive realised that compared to even a hope pro2 these freewheels are pretyy primative in design still.

Surely Tarty must have a tool for the job? or Is a tensile 60 click considered a throw away item?

:)

My point being , I hope you use the correct tool for your Eno Dave? not hammer and nails. x

Nope, I (have to) use the right tool to take the actual freewheel off but to do the lockring I just use a nail. To tighten my old ACS's I even shrink wrapped the shaft of a nail so it wouldn't scratch the frame when I rolleed the bike backwards with the nail in place!

I do actually own a proper Park pin tool thing but the pins are the wrong size for the enO and I've never bothered to modify it to wrok properly because a nail works just fine!

So my next question is,, considering spare parts are offered for user servicing.....

I dont seem to be able to find a tool to fit :( ( one that i can put a big spanner on! )

I realise that a pin spanner could be used , but is not up to the job considering the lockring is loctited from factory.

Any ideas from Adam would be greatly recieved :)

Edited by Christophe'

It doesnt feel like my King <_< meh. Infact it feels a bit notchy in places, hence why id like to see any possible defects inside.

Im not having a pop at anyone, its the fact that ive realised that compared to even a hope pro2 these freewheels are pretyy primative in design still.

Surely Tarty must have a tool for the job? or Is a tensile 60 click considered a throw away item?

It's a £39 freewheel, not a £300 hub, which is why it doesn't feel quite as sweet.

Freewheels are all pretty primitive really, there's not much else you can do with them!

We do have a tool, Park make a pin spanner that fits perfectly (the red one).

So my next question is,, considering spare parts are offered for user servicing.....

I dont seem to be able to find a tool to fit :( ( one that i can put a big spanner on! )

I realise that a pin spanner could be used , but is not up to the job considering the lockring is loctited from factory.

They aren't loctited on, they're just reasonably tight. You can basically go to town on them 'cos they are reasonably cheap - with an Eno you'd probably want to take a bit more care (not least 'cos the lockring's made of a soft material), but with a Tensile you can give it a good knock if you need to. There are a fair few ways around it.

Tensile 96s and Echo 108s feel reasonably good, especially bearing in mind the price you're paying compared to a freehub. When you're actually riding you shouldn't really notice it much, at all. With the 60-click, you're going to notice a reduction in engagement points if you've come from a King (or even a Hope with a normal gear ratio), so something like an Echo SL would reduce that a bit.

They aren't loctited on, they're just reasonably tight. You can basically go to town on them 'cos they are reasonably cheap - with an Eno you'd probably want to take a bit more care (not least 'cos the lockring's made of a soft material), but with a Tensile you can give it a good knock if you need to. There are a fair few ways around it.

Tensile 96s and Echo 108s feel reasonably good, especially bearing in mind the price you're paying compared to a freehub. When you're actually riding you shouldn't really notice it much, at all. With the 60-click, you're going to notice a reduction in engagement points if you've come from a King (or even a Hope with a normal gear ratio), so something like an Echo SL would reduce that a bit.

Agreed... Talking of which, when are these suckers gonna be in stock again?

Come on Chris, man up and get in there with a nail (or screwdriver) and hammer! Just tap it round if you want to get the lockring off, no need for proper tools (though, as Adam says, they do exist (mine's the green Park one which doesn't fit >_< ).

Post-work delivery-unpacking pizza-party, aaaaaw yeah.

:giggle: Simple things, eh?!