Who Are The Great Ridders Who Helped Get This Sport Of The Ground?

LordMersey

Martyn Ashton springs to mind..

You can't forget Martin Hawyes.

The first trials riders I ever saw were Matt and Eddie Tongue in MBK riding on a Landrover. The first trials riders I saw in person were the MAD Team. So I think they deserve a bit of credit too.

I wanted to know who were the great British riders who help get trials in Britain of the ground and who did us proud in comps around the world.

Thanks

Jack

Ot Pi.

I think you've been in America for too long ha ha

Edited by Al_Fel

Come on then, whats the beef with Mart? :P

Akrigg, Tongue brothers, Ashton, Hawyes.

Hawyes has always bugged me for some reason. Never been convinced by his riding- he only got the publicity and coverage he did because of Martyn. He also comes across as a bit of a knob and have heard a few stories of him blanking trials riders because of who he thinks he is...

Agreed, Martyn's the main main, Ackrigg to some extent, Ed tongue then people like Kurt Brain come to mind.

Hawyes has always bugged me for some reason. Never been convinced by his riding- he only got the publicity and coverage he did because of Martyn. He also comes across as a bit of a knob and have heard a few stories of him blanking trials riders because of who he thinks he is...

Agreed, Martyn's the main main, Ackrigg to some extent, Ed tongue then people like Kurt Brain come to mind.

Got to agree with you there Dave, the first few times that i met him even after he stopped riding, when he was a Fisher rep he still had a high and mighty/better than thou sort of attitude; saying that it did seem to wear off once he'd been in the job for a while. Never achieved the same level of riding as Martyn and was always in his shadow so to speak.

But still, riders that kicked the scene off in the Uk, Martin and Martyn, Ackrigg, the Tongue Brothers (Eddie more than Matt), Kurt Brain used to be awesome, didn't he get into motor trials and now downhill, Ian Cooper and Rich Johnson.

And Jez Avery! One of the first people I saw ride trials (for MAD) and a legendin his own lifetime!

Edit: Good to see Rich and Jez still going strong!

I remebered Jez as soon as i posted my reply, old school hero, proabbly the first British demo rider?

My main memory of Rich Johnson is an article of him in MBUK riding his orange dual hayes disc saracen x-tort in his lovely looking lycra kit in a scrapyard. Probably still have the magazine somewhere! Awesome that he's still going :)

I remeber seeing Ian Coopers RSP Ti frame, my god that was nice.

Anyone remember Scott Dommet's trials section on the Dirt video :)... Hopping around on rocks to impress gurls - awesome :D...

And he was using canti brakes - come to think of it so was I back then...

Dirt was the first vhs of mtb i ever watched,

i dont think you'll get much older uk trials than that! + Sott Dommet had the biggest nose iv ever seen! :lol:

JMC Was a legend i built a bike up just like that specialized! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0DZUIWBYEE

Edited by klaus1610

How has no-one mentioned the trials kings? When I first started I spent hours watching the video's on their website and looking at the photo's. They also seemed to kick start the street scene over here, whereas Ashton/Hawyes and even Tongue back then were more natural based.

Also big shout to Dave Dennis for bashguard.com, that was another site I frequented a lot, and lead me to here in fact. Mart Fricker planting his face through a wall probably opened up trials to the public far more than anything else for a few years too.

How has no-one mentioned the trials kings? When I first started I spent hours watching the video's on their website and looking at the photo's. They also seemed to kick start the street scene over here, whereas Ashton/Hawyes and even Tongue back then were more natural based.

Also big shout to Dave Dennis for bashguard.com, that was another site I frequented a lot, and lead me to here in fact. Mart Fricker planting his face through a wall probably opened up trials to the public far more than anything else for a few years too.

amen.